• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sign our petition, and help save our course!

Jesterian

Par Member
https://www.change.org/p/william-ca...source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

From the petition:

3-4 years ago, South Brevard Disc Golf acquired some land at Palm Bay Regional Park, which, at the time, was managed by Brevard County. We were given a parcel which was to be developed into 27 holes of prime disc golf, which was a huge deal for the community. With support from the locals, thousands of volunteer hours were poured into grooming the course, removing vegetation, installing baskets, and installing tee pads.

Recently, the park management was transferred to the city of Palm Bay. This is where our problems started. When the city came in, they saw the land our course was sitting on, and instead of recognizing it as a beautifully preserved piece of land (disc golf is a very low-impact use of the park), one that is in use serving the community on a regular basis, they saw that land as an asset to be liquidated for funding.

As such, they have made plans to convert our disc golf park into an RV campground. This would destroy the natural beauty of the area, all the work we've put into the area, and convert a large portion of the park from use by the community, to use by non community residents.

We feel like this is a slap in the face to the people that worked so hard to make this course a reality, and a clear indication that the park staff are interested more in expanding their budget, than serving the community. It would be fine to remove the option to add the final 9 holes, but to discard part of the existing course (the shadiest part including the signature 630 foot water hole), is just incredibly disrespectful of the work put into it.

If there's anything you can do to help, please take a stand. This may seem like a minor issue in the face of the larger crisis facing our city, but it's very important to a good number of people.

Signed. I think it would be useful to get other people in the community, non-discers, who would be concerned with the loss of green space

Signed. I think it would be useful to get other people in the community, non-discers, who would be concerned with the loss of green space

That's a great idea. I will have to talk to some local nature conservancies and see if they can help.

Signed. My local course and absolute favorite in Brevard. I really hope this doesn't go down. Rick and PBR crew have put in so much hard work on this amazing course.