• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Signature putter?

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Some brands have their signature putter locked down tight: Innova = Aviar, Gateway = Wizard.

I see varying opininions on Discraft: is it Challenger, Magnet, or something else?

Challenger is the most revered Discraft putter mold, but the Magnet is their Aviar. Could go either way.

Personally, I would say Challenger. The old Elite-X blends were the best for putting. CryZtal turns it into a mashable driving putter. Great mold.

Last edited:
Some brands have their signature putter locked down tight: Innova = Aviar, Gateway = Wizard.

I see varying opinions on Discraft: is it Challenger, Magnet, or something else?

From the marketing perspective, you make a really great point. Innova has the Aviar... and has versions of it rather than a plethora of differently-named putters. Gateway has the Wizard in numerous grades of plastic, but it's the same well-known mold.

I will add that Dynamic Discs has the Judge and it's beadless counterpart the Wizard... and until recently that was it. Well-known brand in different plastics, building that brand so that people know about it... and who makes it.

But Discraft? I own a Challenger in Pro-D, wish they made it in something hard and durable, but I have no idea what else they're doing, what other putters they have...

That was my beef with the challenger and why I ultimately sought out a new putter. Soft X was way to floppy, Pro D beats way too quick and the FLX is just as floppy as soft X in most cases. I would have loved for a Star or firm X challenger.

Definitely Challenger. It's the only one of Discraft's putters to have two different pro signatures on it (Cam Todd and Nate Doss).

That was my beef with the challenger and why I ultimately sought out a new putter. Soft X was way to floppy, Pro D beats way too quick and the FLX is just as floppy as soft X in most cases. I would have loved for a Star or firm X challenger.

This. A Challenger in something firm but more durable than pro-D, and it might well have been my main putter. After 2 rounds, my pro-D was in pitiful shape just from the chains...

We need some McDoss plastic or something.. ;)

Discmania P2 (which is just a modified aviar) seems to be a in that weird position of being both a signature upshot disc (star P2 with McBeth) and putter D-P2 is religiously used by many (Eagle, Sexton, Lizotte, ect).

so discmania's is the P2

Challenger all day. It's their beat putter.

Though when I was up in Discraft territory Insaw tons of Banger GTs. Which Infeel is a hateful disc.

Do we count the zone?

As a putter? No. The only time I throw mine into the chains it nestles nicely under the basket after a sweet forehand approach... as the Zone is wont to do.

As for the Challenger, I never understood why Discraft makes so many "soft" X models and has ditched the regular old elite-X. Do people actually prefer soft putters? I think regular X is as soft as anyone could want, but that's just me.

But Discraft? I own a Challenger in Pro-D, wish they made it in something hard and durable

That's why they don't get my putter $$$ anymore. Pro-D is terrible.:thmbdown:

i have to go with the Challenger.. but iirc Magnet has been around the longest correct? or at least it sure feels that way .. Focus is another stellar putter that doesnt get much love ..