• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Simple bag advantage

Do you think players like Doss and Philo have an advantage with their simple set up?
Doss throws 6 molds
Challenger
Wasp
Buzz
Predator
Xl
Force

Philo throws 5 molds
Aviars
Rocs
Teebirds
Firebirds
Destroyers

That's based off of there most recent in the bag videos, maybe it's changed since.

I can definitely see the advantage of being really in tune with your discs when you have very few molds. What do you think are the disadvantages? Looking to shake up my bag this off season. Maybe a simpler set up could improve my game/consistency. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Two of us that post here got beat last Saturday by a guy throwing two molds. It was effective for him, but did not look like fun at all.

There is a balance between having enough discs to cover all the shots and having too many that it confuses the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two of us that post here got beat last Saturday by a guy throwing two molds. It was effective for him, but did not look like fun at all.

Elaborate, please - I'm guessing wizards and teebirds in true internet minimalist form <3

I don't think I have seen Philo throw his Firebird.....or a Teebird for that matter. He basically just throws Destroyers and Rocs. If you post your bag in the bag suggestions section there are plenty of people that can help you narrow this down, plus there are numerous minimalist bag building threads to read through.

Thanks for the input, definitely the answer I was looking for! I guess I keep forgetting to cater to you when making a post.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

you asked for thoughts i reminded you this is a tired and recycled conversation

thats why no one is biting on your burning question

but nice try!!!

Yeah well, Philo takes forever before every throw so who's really winning? :|

I can definitely see the advantage of being really in tune with your discs when you have very few molds. What do you think are the disadvantages? Looking to shake up my bag this off season. Maybe a simpler set up could improve my game/consistency. Thoughts?

Though this has been rehashed several times over the years (not to mention is a hotly contested issue most of the time) I'll provide my input.

First let me say that the simple bag philosophy is what I've always tried to stick to. When I wander from it, I don't play as well. I'm not going to be biased, but provide what I think are advantages/problems with this setup.

I think that in the long term, committing to a simple bag will help you develop your game better. Having less discs to make shots with naturally leads to this, since YOU as the thrower have to adjust your shot based off of the equipment you have instead of just grabbing a disc that will shape a line while using the same delivery angles.

Less decisions can also make a difference on the course. Debating between using your Buzzz, Roc3, or Emac Truth for a shot where any of the 3 will do could cause undo stress or lack of confidence compared to if you only had a buzzz for that kind of shot.

Wear cycles are a completely different thing and I'm not touching that in this thread.

There is definitely advantages to having a lot of molds and keeping your swing the same. If that philosophy didn't work, then why do ball golfers try to keep the mechanics of each swing so consistent? Because a consistent reproducible swing can generate predictable results. And isn't that what we're all after anyway?

Last edited:
I like both those guys, but...how often do they win? So is that an advantage then?

Heh that being said it's not their bags. They cover all their shots, and neither throw many forehands. You can look at it as either needing more or less discs because of the FH. Some people want "FH specific" stuff, others want more stability variation if they are BH only so they can shape any line. Basically there's no right or wrong way.

If you are a "good" player then do what works for you if you have all your slots covered.

If you are a learning/improving player, then simpler is better. If you have 3 of the same disc, like indistinguishable stability within reason, can you throw them within 15-20' of each other on the lines you use that disc for? If not, then your form has more variation than any disc will. So you're better off throwing more consistently before you vary your discs with small subtleties.

Everytime I try to lean in the direction of minimalism, I lose my most flippy (most used) disc in the cycle, get frustrated, and switch to premium plastic again. Eventually if I played more and switched up my bag less, my premium stable discs would season into flippy and I would start throwing harder, turning stuff over.

The way it is now though, if I want to go out and have fun I need flippy plastic. I'm talking like, mirage, underworld, beat DX leo flippy. When you start with stuff that far on the US side of the spectrum how minimal can you really get, assuming you want some OS options.

Some people prefer to not have to change their throw for the shot at hand and have more discs in order to use their natural attributes to shape the shot. Other people prefer to manipulate the angle of the throw with fewer discs to shape shots. Some people like to have a bunch of discs in their bag but can also manipulate angles... Just find out what works best for you.

Last edited:

Latest posts