• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Skills Competition

jcarroll

Par Member
Running a summer league, and the end of the season is upon us. Last year, I hosted a sort of "season finale" where players could compete in various contests ranging from CTP, putting shootout, opposite-handed long drive, etc. Winners would claim prizes in merchandise.

Looking for some interesting contests to add to the mix this year. Any suggestions?

We had a disc skills tournament that started with a regular round, a temporary course to be played with lids only, blind upshot, shooting through rings at various distances, pure distance (FH, BH, and OH), distance + accuracy (FH, BH, and OH), baseball (a putting game) and finally Maximum Time Aloft.

It was great.

I saw that they held a skills competition at Worlds, but I couldn't find any information about the event. Does anyone know what it consisted of?

I saw that they held a skills competition at Worlds, but I couldn't find any information about the event. Does anyone know what it consisted of?

The skillshot competition was a CTP contest if that's what you mean?

Disc Bocce! 4 to a team, each with their putter of choice (marked in some way). Teams alternate throwing a mini as far as they can, then try to get their putter closest to the mini. If one of your discs is closer than the other team's closest disc, you get 1 point, if 2 of yours are closer, 2 points, etc.

Straightest drive: put a rope down a fairway, starting 200' from the tee. Whoever lands closest to the rope wins. I usually combine this with the longest drive- so one person wins a prize for longest, one for straightest, on the same hole.

Straightest drive: put a rope down a fairway, starting 200' from the tee. Whoever lands closest to the rope wins. I usually combine this with the longest drive- so one person wins a prize for longest, one for straightest, on the same hole.

cant you just throw a booming hyzer that lands on the rope?...i guess unless you're on a real wooded fairway...

Bull's Eye:

Paint circles around the basket at 2.5m, 5m, 7.5m, and 10m. Throw line at 150-200 ft from target. Score points by landing in the circles. 10 points for in the basket, 8 points for in the 2.5 circle, 5 points for in the 5m circle, etc. (you can adjust the point values any way you want).

Back Up:

Use the same circles and throw line as above. Players throw at the target, and getting in the basket is 10 points. Any shots not in the basket are relocated to the next circle backwards. Player then putts from there. If successful (in the basket), player gets 5 points. Unsuccessful putts get relocated to the next circle backwards and the player putts from there. If successful, player gets 2 points. Unsuccessful putts get relocated backwards and the player putts from there. Successful putts get 1 point. Max of 3 putts per player.

cant you just throw a booming hyzer that lands on the rope?...i guess unless you're on a real wooded fairway...

I don't know how much scoring would happen with this, but you could post hoops in a straight line every 25'/50' and give points based on how many you get through.

I give bonus points each week for something fun. Usually boring CTP on <200ft holes during the round.

Once we did CTP on a short 170ft down hill hole with minis.
Once was longest putt on that 170ft hole, which meant you couldn't park the hole to get the bonus.
Once was who scored closest to their handicap.
Last week was the card that came back with the most trash picked up.

I think next week I'll have people put their forehead on a baseball bat, spin round 5-6 times, then have 5 seconds to putt from 60ft out. CTP wins.
Got that inspiration between innings at a Minor League baseball game.
Ooohh.. get the ZOOperstars to show up. But they're missing Will Sharksterick, David Fieldmouse, and Sparrow Hokom.

Opposite hand drives and straightest drives w/string are a neat idea.

Play hole #1 tee to hole #18 basket as one hole. Best score wins.

Come up with a very easy, 9 or 18 hole safari layout, where holes aren't any longer than 200'. On wooded courses especially, this could be very fun.

(Credit to Jason Kloskin for this one) - Have a "disk" drive contest where everybody get's two throws with a 3.5'' floppy diskette.

Play worst shot doubles or even triples! Everyone on a team throws and the other team chooses which shot they use! I would recommend only doing 9 holes though or this could take a while!

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone! To help with more suggestions: the format is typically going to be every man for himself. I am thinking the Top 3 in each category will earn poker chips which can then be cashed in for prizes.

Another one I thought of today is a "Knockout" style putting contest, similar to the basketball game. Set up a 30' putt and line up with your putter. Must putt from the spot where your disc lands.

(Credit to Jason Kloskin for this one) - Have a "disk" drive contest where everybody get's two throws with a 3.5'' floppy diskette.

Man those things are Dirty Stable! I like the long putt personally. We had one in a dubs league and my partner and I weren't doing so hot. One of us parked the hole but we took the one further away to try to win longest putt and we won it! Adds a lot of fun to a round.

Latest posts