• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] #smelly discs...

Innova63

Double Eagle Member
Premium Member
I have seen info posted about ways to remove smells from discs.

I have some coming from Mint, and if you haven't heard, they had a fire in the building they share with other tenants. So basically everything the had in storage there now smells.

I have a few discs coming and would like to hear successful ways to eliminate the smell.
It is getting dark early and cold here in SE WI, so I really don't need to throw these now.
So if it means sticking them in a baggie for an extended period (winter) is fine with me.

Suggestions?

I've never tried it, but I wonder if baking soda would reduce the odor.

I ordered some Mint Discs Alphas from the fire sale also. If the smoke odor bothers me, I may try baking soda.

Or, maybe enhance the odor with some bacon scented oil. Who doesn't like the smell of bacon and campfire smoke? :p

I smelled quite a few at my pias today(I know weird)....the smoke smell is very faint but noticeable if you have your nose on the disc. It's not a big deal at all imo.

The fact that Mint puts serial numbers on each run and the release amount is limited....the "Smokey Alpha" could become a collectors item.

This run of Alpha is wonderful.

Last edited:
I've bought a few discs from chain smokers that reeked of cigarette smoke. Putting them in a freezer zip lock bag with baking soda worked. I think the smell was mostly gone after six months. They were collector discs that I probably wasn't going to throw so I kept them in there for 2 years. Totally gone after that.

I've heard people accelerate the process by putting in the bag with baking soda and placing on a flat surface in direct sunlight.

Go to Walmart and buy the cheap cocoa butter lotion for $3. Cover the disc with lotion, in a ziplock bag overnight. If there is still heat and sunshine where you live, put ziplock bag on the sun all day. Rinse.

Last edited:
Go to Walmart and buy the cheap cocoa butter lotion for $3. Cover the disc with lotion, in a ziplock bag overnight. If there is still heat and sunshine where you live, put ziplock bag on the sun all day. Rinse.

Funny...

In November...
Heat and sun in WI...

??how many hours is "all day"?

as others have said, the smoke smell is very faint and is more of a campfire smoke, i am willing to bet it goes away sooner than later but ive used shaving cream to remove cigarette smell from a heavy smokers home. i put each disc in a zip with regular cheap shaving cream and it helped cover up a lot of it, it broke down the foil in the stamp some but the smell eventually went away with use.

the only things that had a stronger smoke smell from the sale were the hats.

I give mine a bubble bath. Big sink full of dawn and a scrub brush. Unless it's super gross pond scum, haven't needed to wash more than once.

#Mint Discs don't stink!

Received my Alphas from Mint today, didn't smell anything when I opened the box...

yea! :thmbup:

I will leave them out in the open air of my condos basement for a few days to see if I notice anything...

I have baggies ready if I eventually notice a smell.

I've bought a few discs from chain smokers that reeked of cigarette smoke. Putting them in a freezer zip lock bag with baking soda worked. I think the smell was mostly gone after six months. They were collector discs that I probably wasn't going to throw so I kept them in there for 2 years. Totally gone after that.

I've heard people accelerate the process by putting in the bag with baking soda and placing on a flat surface in direct sunlight.

I'd be curious to try one in the same ziploc w/o baking soda, and then also one just left on a shelf.

Received my Alphas from Mint today, didn't smell anything when I opened the box...

I will leave them out in the open air of my condos basement for a few days to see if I notice anything...

So, was there never a problem, or did you try a remedy for other discs? Don't leave us hanging!
:popcorn:

My understanding is they cleaned and or wiped everything before shipping, so as of now there is no smell...

If you even care at this point (cause why fix what ain't broken), put them in a ziploc bag for a while/a day (without anything else), preferably in a warm place, and then open it up and see what you smell.

#Mint discs have a minor odor......

If you even care at this point (cause why fix what ain't broken), put them in a ziploc bag for a while/a day (without anything else), preferably in a warm place, and then open it up and see what you smell.

So today after work I head to my basement to check the discs and I think I can faintly smell something...
So into baggies they go...

Have to pick up some baking soda, seems we are low at home...

Thinking about trying some different ideas for each disc (5 total)...

want to try not damage plastic (duh) or stamps...

1) Baking soda

2) Fabric softener tissue (probably will keep mosquitos and no-see-ums away) ;)

3-5) suggestions...

So today after work I head to my basement to check the discs and I think I can faintly smell something...

1) Baking soda

3-5) suggestions...

They sell boxes of baking soda specifically made to absorb odors, that have an air permeable screen that keeps the baking soda from leaking out. I would think that this would absorb the odors over time, but since the baking soda wouldn't touch the foil, it would be much less likely to damage the stamps. That's a guess, but I don't see how the baking soda would damage the stamp at a distance.

I'm also not sure why the suggestion was made to put into the freezer. I would think you would actually want to keep them on the warmer side, while not getting them warm enough to warp. You want as many volatiles to off-gas as possible. That's also a guess but I would think a good one, although I suppose if you get it warm enough the baking soda won't be able to hold those volatiles. I suppose that also might accelerate any stamp damage that could occur.

If you really wanted to get fancy and overkill it, you could do contrast cycles. In the baggie with the baking soda in a warm place, followed by putting it in the freezer, then removing the baking soda and warming it to release any volatiles that can be released, and then repeating. But, like I said, that seems like overkill.

1) Baking soda

3-5) suggestions...

So I completely forgot about these discs until I was packing some discs for my vacation next week in the Quad-Cities,
Took them out of the bags that also had a fabric softener and did not smell anything...

never tried the baking soda...

Latest posts