• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Smoke the chains with a Roach

Put some soft-x roaches back in the bag for our weekly league match after poor putting with my omega BB's the week before at our local ice bowl. My drives and upshots were way off but my putting was definitely at a higher percentage than I'd usually make. I made a few outside that circle that I typically wouldn't make and I think the only one I missed inside the circle was a 15' wide open putt where I tried to play the headwind and missed low.

I received some Jawbreaker roaches in the mail late Saturday and took them to the course Sunday for some practice. Couldn't get off the tee any better than with the soft-x but I was just as consistent inside the circle and a little more consistent outside the cirle with them than I was the soft-x.

This might be the perfect putter for me if I can figure out how to get close to the basket with them from 200' and in. My approach game has always been strong but I was struggling with the roach. I'd blame it on the lack of bead but I was always pretty good with a magic or polecat.

This might be the perfect putter for me if I can figure out how to get close to the basket with them from 200' and in. My approach game has always been strong but I was struggling with the roach. I'd blame it on the lack of bead but I was always pretty good with a magic or polecat.

Carry that Polecat for approaches and putt with the Roach. The Polekitty is awesome. <3 Don't leave home without it. :thmbup:

Carry that Polecat for approaches and putt with the Roach. The Polekitty is awesome. <3 Don't leave home without it. :thmbup:
The polecat is/was one of my favorite discs but I could never make it work for shots other than dead straight or a sweeping hyzer. In the woods I often need a shot where I throw with a bit of nose up and have the disc fight out of an anhyzer to fly straight for the last 1/3 of it's flight. I could never make that shot work for me with the polecat.

Glad I took a gamble on the TI Roach. My Big Z has a super high shoulder and doesn't feel or fly anything like my base plastic roaches. This disc feels like my Soft-X Roaches in the hand. I can't wait to get it out to the course.
39cf62f45e575b449e522640a14c7283.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Glad I took a gamble on the TI Roach. My Big Z has a super high shoulder and doesn't feel or fly anything like my base plastic roaches. This disc feels like my Soft-X Roaches in the hand. I can't wait to get it out to the course.
39cf62f45e575b449e522640a14c7283.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'm getting decent with a touch hyzerflip to flat off the tee with my Ti's. Heard ESP might come out soon...

The polecat is/was one of my favorite discs but I could never make it work for shots other than dead straight or a sweeping hyzer. In the woods I often need a shot where I throw with a bit of nose up and have the disc fight out of an anhyzer to fly straight for the last 1/3 of it's flight. I could never make that shot work for me with the polecat.

As I read your words above, thoughts of the Warden came to mind. Judge or Marshal if you prefer beaded putters. If you're amenable to trying DD putters, you might try one of them.

I'm getting decent with a touch hyzerflip to flat off the tee with my Ti's. Heard ESP might come out soon...
Glad to hear that you're enjoying the flight. I really like the Soft-X for throwing but I worry about the durability here in the North East as there are no shortage of trees or huge rocks to shred your discs. I'm hoping the TI gives me a comparable flight but more durable.

As I read your words above, thoughts of the Warden came to mind. Judge or Marshal if you prefer beaded putters. If you're amenable to trying DD putters, you might try one of them.
Thanks for the suggestion, I try to limit things to Millennium and Discraft though. My two favorite companies and it keeps me from spending thousands of dollars searching for that perfect disc by limiting my options.

They need to rename this disc. I will never, EVER, buy a disc named "roach". The roach is a disgusting, filthy insect that should be eradicated from the face of this earth. The other use of the term "roach" pertains to illegal drug use.

Bottom line, this may be a great disc, but Discraft made an exceptionally poor choice in the name of it. I really am stunned at how thoughtless Discraft was about this.

I find it funny that someone who left a comment such as this is still commenting on it 3 years later.
All I say is puff 'n chains.

I'm really loving the roach (Ti and JB) for approaches and drives. I'd like to putt with it as well. I have had decent results. I have nothing against a beadless putter I'm just used to a bead for putting. I'm wondering if I should just stick with it and I'll get used to it or what.

I'm really loving the roach (Ti and JB) for approaches and drives. I'd like to putt with it as well. I have had decent results. I have nothing against a beadless putter I'm just used to a bead for putting. I'm wondering if I should just stick with it and I'll get used to it or what.
I've mostly used putters with a bead since I started playing. It took me a long time to realize that I can get a cleaner release and can get a putt to hold a line to the basket with less effort by using beadless putters. Can't say for sure if I'll go back to beaded putters or not but I'm enjoying the Roach in the meantime.

Played my first round with the Ti Roach today and it wasn't really what I had hoped for for upshots; the Soft-X was working much better. I was starting to get a little discouraged but I decided to give it a shot off the tee on a ~340' tunnel shot with some significant elevation change. Put it on a slight hyzer and it was a laser beam straight towards the basket. Landed within 15' and I made the putt.

I wasn't sure about this disc at first but I'm going to keep working with it for sure.

Picture of the hole attached.

Attachments

• hole7.jpg
    hole7.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 73
The TI Roach is slowly becoming one of my favorite throwing putters of all time. It's just too easy to get it to lock onto a line and hold it start to finish.

^^^ Same. Ti off the tee, Soft-X for my upshots, and I putt with Jawbreaker.
Someone from the factory said that ESP is on the schedule for this year. Hopefully the Luna doesn't throw a wrench into that plan.

Threw my first "ace" yesterday, unfortunately it was black.

180' hole, basket is tucked about 8' behind a big cottonwood so it's blind. Jacked up a standstill Zone flick so I threw my beatish JB Roach, standstill BH with a little hyzer. Popped up, floated nicely, disappeared behind the cottonwood and I heard chains.

Felt good to finally throw one in but I wish it had counted.

Last edited:
Jawbreaker Roach was not kind to me today. 5 roll aways in a single round, most 20-30'. Worst was a 15' putt that hit dead center on the poll, bounced out, rolled 30' away. I have noticed that JB plastic is really bouncy when it get warm.

Jawbreaker Roach was not kind to me today. 5 roll aways in a single round, most 20-30'. Worst was a 15' putt that hit dead center on the poll, bounced out, rolled 30' away. I have noticed that JB plastic is really bouncy when it get warm.

I've not had that happen. When I was using the JB Roach it was always giving me friendly chain grabs. I just loose a lot of confidence in it in warmer temps because it gets a little gummy. Feels inconsistent in my hand. Especially the flight plate.

I also don't like the swirly profile. Really want this whole swirly plastic craze to stop.

Latest posts