• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Smoke the chains with a Roach

Don´t miss this "putter round" video from Paul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uu_VITLAYY&t=268s

Fun to see him throw a Big-Z ROACH 360feet super straight, i have heard people call the ROACH US. . well Pauls throws shows thats not tru

Someone asked in the comments why he did not throw the LUNA. . Foundation DiscGolf responded

"Not Paul, but I think I can help. He only putts with his Luna and doesn't throw it currently kind of like he used to with his mcpro aviars. The Luna seems to have less glide and be slightly more overstable then the roach when I've thrown it. I think the main reason is he likes to throw his putters in more premium plastic so he can really get to know the one in his bag before it gets too beat up. Hopefully that helped!"

I'll have to watch that video. I want to be annoying & mention that I've been using the Roach as a putter & thrower for a few years now so I'm not just on the Paul bandwagon. My Big Z Roach is not US at all. It reminds me a lot of a slower Buzzz where I have to snap into it in order to get my straight flight.

I have one proto Luna & it's super shallow with a power grip. Not comfortable mostly because it feels like there's no room for my pinky with the power grip. The Roach feels great with that grip & is very versatile as a thrower. If people can get over the stamp (I wipe all my Roach stamps) they will realize it's a terrific mold.

I think a PmB signature stamp Big Z Roach would sell a lot better than the crazy bug smoking a cigar stamp. I don't mind it but I think it bugs (haha) a lot of potential buyers.

I think a PmB signature stamp Big Z Roach would sell a lot better than the crazy bug smoking a cigar stamp. I don't mind it but I think it bugs (haha) a lot of potential buyers.

Paul have wiped the stamp on his ;)

Paul have wiped the stamp on his ;)

I'm surprised it wasn't for Masters. I'm still not convinced the Luna and the Roach are different discs. I've been bagging a FR Luna along side my Jawbreaker Roaches since they came out just to get some other opinions. Most people think the Luna is slightly slimmer, but I think that's the way the different plastic molded up.

Looks like they molded up a BigZ Luna for Paul though... that'll be the true comparison:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Pablo BigZ Roach.JPG
    Pablo BigZ Roach.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Big Z Luna.JPG
    Big Z Luna.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 228
as i´m writing this i have a JB ROACH and a LUNA on my desk, and they are super close . . but if i hold them underside to underside the gap is not totally symmetrical. . but darn close.
But if i do the same with my JB, Ti and Big-Z ROACH. . not even they are 100% the same and totally symmetrical

But a Big-Z LUNA would be fun to see

I recently got a big z roach hoping it would be straighter than my ti. Still surprising stable. The only roach that has been neutral as a throwing/approach putter for me is the jawbreaker. Too bad I threw it in a river. Still haven't tried the roach for putting but maybe one day. Wonder if the Luna is as stable as the roach. Numbers lead me to believe it's probably the same.

I recently got a big z roach hoping it would be straighter than my ti. Still surprising stable. The only roach that has been neutral as a throwing/approach putter for me is the jawbreaker. Too bad I threw it in a river. Still haven't tried the roach for putting but maybe one day. Wonder if the Luna is as stable as the roach. Numbers lead me to believe it's probably the same.

You're crazy, all Roaches are neutral. I've beat a JB to fairly flippy but it's still straight out to 200' with a little finesse.

You're probably not crazy, just mistaken.

You're crazy, all Roaches are neutral. I've beat a JB to fairly flippy but it's still straight out to 200' with a little finesse.

You're probably not crazy, just mistaken.

I mean,thats just how they fly for me. I can throw them 275' flat and they will stay flat and hyzer at the end. If I put them on a hyzer they will hold it the whole way without flipping up. Thrown on an anhyzer they will even flex out a bit at the end. I also throw aviars and pures and I can get both of them to fly dead straight, or hyzer to flat or even hyzer to turnover. Maybe its just because I'm a noodle arm. I'm going to try throwing them next time I go out with a power grip instead of fan grip and see how that works.

as i´m writing this i have a JB ROACH and a LUNA on my desk, and they are super close . . but if i hold them underside to underside the gap is not totally symmetrical. . but darn close.
But if i do the same with my JB, Ti and Big-Z ROACH. . not even they are 100% the same and totally symmetrical

But a Big-Z LUNA would be fun to see

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I think the plastic used on the Luna accounts for the difference, not a different top.

But one odd thing. . I feel like my JB Roach has less glide then the LUNA. . . .I feel that the ROACH want to hit the ground faster where the LUNA likes to gilde and stay in the air

But one odd thing. . I feel like my JB Roach has less glide then the LUNA. . . .I feel that the ROACH want to hit the ground faster where the LUNA likes to gilde and stay in the air

I've got a Proto Luna & it is floatier than my JB Roaches. JB Roach is straighter but less glide.

Even though they look so similar they really feel different. The Luna is good for pitch putt style but feels so thin it just wants to slip out of hand when I release. Maybe it's just the proto plastic that I don't like?

Still hoping to see some CT Roaches. I wonder if DC would back away from that because it would hurt Luna sales? Being so close in shape a CT Roach is basically what we all want the Luna to be.

Just received my big Z Roach today. I recently decided to switch my whole bag over to discraft and a driving putter was my last addition. Love the feel of it already. Hopefully it's a workable driving putter that I can put on different angles.

Just received my big Z Roach today. I recently decided to switch my whole bag over to discraft and a driving putter was my last addition. Love the feel of it already. Hopefully it's a workable driving putter that I can put on different angles.

It's exactly that. Stable & workable. It reminds a lot of an ESP Buzzz. Requires snap to go dead straight but if you finesse it you'll get some hyzer. The Roach has the most comfortable rim for a power grip of any putter mold I've used.

It works really well for big anhyzer shots. The stability keeps it from burning & it will just keep holding the line without hyzering out.

The stamp is whatever. I like to wipe mine with acetone.

I have seen a guy Disc Golf Nerd on Youtube who uses the Big Z right now testing to see if it makes his bag as replacing the lucid Caltrop for driving putter and no the Caltrop is more consistent, however he had to wipe the stamp on the Big Z Roach, tried for only the picture but the wording and Big Z part came off by mistake as well.

DGN does however like the Jawbreaker Roach for his putter as much as the Jawbreaker Magnet for putting. He might use the Jawbreaker Roach for longer putting/approach when the soft Caltrop he has for the current approach gets to US to work for an approach disc as the Soft plastic that Latitude 64 made is OOP and was as soon has DGN got his soft Caltrop. He likes that with the Roach on approach shots he can do his regular putt run with the Jawbreaker Roach disc with approach distance in unlike the Soft Caltrop he has to do an OS approach putt with. Disc Golf Nerd is thinking whether or not to use the Roach for a putting putter as well, probably just get another Magnet from his big Soft Pro D Magnet stash (DGN stocked up right before the mold got hard to find because he figured the mold was on its way out), since that is what he uses right now for his other non OS throwing putter and was also his putter mold before Jawbreaker Magnet came out. Jawbreaker breaks in too quick for the Magnet for him and I kind of agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N6bSXQDgDU

The TI Roach is without a doubt one of the best, if not the best, driving putter I have ever thrown. It just goes straight and far, like a slower ESP Buzzz. I love throwing it in the woods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I needed to show off my new pearly white Roach. This is the first white Big Z disc I've had. The red on white looks pretty good but I always wipe the stamps on my Roaches.

Should the stamp stay or go?

Attachments

• IMG_20190725_201528.jpg
    IMG_20190725_201528.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 55
I needed to show off my new pearly white Roach. This is the first white Big Z disc I've had. The red on white looks pretty good but I always wipe the stamps on my Roaches.

I've always thought the Big Z Roach stamps were kinda humorous. Never felt the need to wipe mine.

Stay so you do not need to mark up the disc for winter use. The Stamp actually looks good on this disc being the stamp is a color that works on the disc.

It should go. Then use a red Sharpie to make your unique marking on it, and you're set...

Latest posts