• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Smoke the chains with a Roach

Jawbreaker Roach was not kind to me today. 5 roll aways in a single round, most 20-30'. Worst was a 15' putt that hit dead center on the poll, bounced out, rolled 30' away. I have noticed that JB plastic is really bouncy when it get warm.

Lots of discs do that to us on occasion. Unless it becomes a chronic problem, chalk it up to a bad day...

Anyone have a Voodoo and a Roach lying around? Trying to find the disc closest in profile to the Roach, but beaded. (Not planning on switching putting putters, just toying with the idea.)

I'm almost convinced the Roach and the DGA Steady BL (beadless) are the same disc. The Steady BL might have a slightly higher shoulder, and the PLH might be a 1/2 mm different, but they look and fly the same. This leads me to assume the beaded Steady, the Steady, is the beaded Roach you're seeking.

I'm almost convinced the Roach and the DGA Steady BL (beadless) are the same disc. The Steady BL might have a slightly higher shoulder, and the PLH might be a 1/2 mm different, but they look and fly the same. This leads me to assume the beaded Steady, the Steady, is the beaded Roach you're seeking.

Never held a Steady BL but from the DGA's website it looks to have the same channel (like the Steady or the Challenger) on the wing. If not that, it is definitely flat, where the Roach is convex.

That said, I like the Steady, but I don't see me dropping the Roach anytime soon. If they stop or limit production and plastic blends, I can always switch to the Luna...which I am almost convinced is the same mold as the Roach. I've had several people hold the two, and they couldn't tell the difference either.

I don't see me dropping the Roach anytime soon. If they stop or limit production and plastic blends, I can always switch to the Luna...which I am almost convinced is the same mold as the Roach. I've had several people hold the two, and they couldn't tell the difference either.

I compared a Roach and Luna on a countertop at a shop the other day and couldn't tell much difference, if any. I haven't purchased a new Luna but I felt like the proto was a touch more stable than a JB Roach.

Found a black, 176g JB Roach a couple weeks ago and I'm digging it. It just feels slightly different than my others, maybe a touch firmer. I know where another black one is so I'm gonna grab it and hoard them when I can find them.

Still digging the JB Roach as a S/US thrower too.

Anyways, what's up with those ESP Roaches I was hearing about. Big Z is cool & all but ESP is the realness.

Someone want to give me a rundown on the different roach plastics? Thinking of trying it for throwing/approach

So I picked up a jawbreaker roach in person the other day. Absolutely love the feel of the rim design. Lost it on my third throw unfortunately. Got my TI roach in the mail today and it has the same great feeling rim but the shoulder on it is ridiculous high and rounded. Makes it feels super domey and deep. Which leads me to my next question. What plastics tend to be lower profile/more flat or is it just kind of all over the place? Unfortunately I don't really have any local shops so I can't feel before I buy.

So I picked up a jawbreaker roach in person the other day. Absolutely love the feel of the rim design. Lost it on my third throw unfortunately. Got my TI roach in the mail today and it has the same great feeling rim but the shoulder on it is ridiculous high and rounded. Makes it feels super domey and deep. Which leads me to my next question. What plastics tend to be lower profile/more flat or is it just kind of all over the place? Unfortunately I don't really have any local shops so I can't feel before I buy.

Can't speak for all molds, but the Colt and Stud both molded up a bit more domey in Star and Champ plastics than their XT and DX counterparts.. So there my be something in premium plastics molding up differently than base plastics.

Can't speak for all molds, but the Colt and Stud both molded up a bit more domey in Star and Champ plastics than their XT and DX counterparts.. So there my be something in premium plastics molding up differently than base plastics.

DX Stud has the same dome the average modern DX Gator has. The DX Gator is about the same as a G Star Gator.

On Jomez "Skins Match" part 2 Paul made the teeshot on hole 10 with a Big-Z Roach. .have not seen him throw a Roach before

Big Z Roach is a great thrower. Been bagging one for a few years now. People have been sleeping on them but watch Paul talk about it on his next ITB & it get super popular.

On Jomez "Skins Match" part 2 Paul made the teeshot on hole 10 with a Big-Z Roach. .have not seen him throw a Roach before

He used that same Big Z Roach on a few holes during the Masters Cup rounds.

Big Z Roach is a great thrower. Been bagging one for a few years now. People have been sleeping on them but watch Paul talk about it on his next ITB & it get super popular.

Valarie Jenkins Doss also used the Roach, but I don't remember Discraft ever using that to their advertising advantage. Anything that McBeast throws gets popular, but we'll see what kind of burst in popularity he brings to the Roach. :popcorn:

I have a TI roach and it's more stable and a bit deeper than I was hoping. Still on the search for a perfect driving/approach putter. How different is the TI big z roach?

I have a TI roach and it's more stable and a bit deeper than I was hoping. Still on the search for a perfect driving/approach putter. How different is the TI big z roach?

Big Z seems a little less deep than the Ti to me. I prefer the Big Z as a thrower.

Big Z seems a little less deep than the Ti to me. I prefer the Big Z as a thrower.

Maybe I'll try one out. I love the way the nose/wing feels on the roach just don't like the deepness and stability. If not I think i may try and beat up a k1 reko, doesn't seem like K1 seasons well though.

yeah big z seems to mold up flatter. the first time I held my buddy's big z drone, I thought it was a different mold altogether it was so flat and shallow compared to the esp and z ones I have.

Don´t miss this "putter round" video from Paul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uu_VITLAYY&t=268s

Fun to see him throw a Big-Z ROACH 360feet super straight, i have heard people call the ROACH US. . well Pauls throws shows thats not tru

Someone asked in the comments why he did not throw the LUNA. . Foundation DiscGolf responded

"Not Paul, but I think I can help. He only putts with his Luna and doesn't throw it currently kind of like he used to with his mcpro aviars. The Luna seems to have less glide and be slightly more overstable then the roach when I've thrown it. I think the main reason is he likes to throw his putters in more premium plastic so he can really get to know the one in his bag before it gets too beat up. Hopefully that helped!"

Someone asked in the comments why he did not throw the LUNA. . Foundation DiscGolf responded

"Not Paul, but I think I can help. He only putts with his Luna and doesn't throw it currently kind of like he used to with his mcpro aviars. The Luna seems to have less glide and be slightly more overstable then the roach when I've thrown it. I think the main reason is he likes to throw his putters in more premium plastic so he can really get to know the one in his bag before it gets too beat up. Hopefully that helped!"

Definitely sounds like McBeth's M.O. With Innova, he would only putt with McPro Aviars; I can't recall seeing him throw one on a drive or what would be considered an upshot and not a long putt. He would throw the Nova, and throw it very well, for those throws.

Looks like he has his Nova replacement, and it's the Roach.

I wonder if this means that the LUNA will not come out in premium plastics anytime soon

But it´s fun to see what he can do with only a ROACH and a ZONE. . and not so fun that he can outdrive my longest drive with a ROACH ?!! . .and makes it look SOO easy

Latest posts