• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snakes on the course!

Just wait for the snake to call the number on the back...he might want to practice driving with it for a while and who the hell are we to say otherwise?

how did you get that disc back myoung? lol

I am pretty protective of my discs. I would have walked up to that snake, and said "Give me my disc back , bitch!" If the snake refuses, I would tell the snake "Is that the hill you want to die on?"

I don't like snakes and I'll be damned if if one is going to take my disc.

I think its now time for my morning coffee.....----------->

maybe you can just take a spray bottle of vodka around with you and spray the snakes drunk...then they won't be able to do anything? lol...or maybe they sell some kind of liquid stuff that repels snakes you can spray..

my snake story- the first time I ever played Universal City Park in UC, Texas I was doing my student teaching at a nearby high school. One day after class I decided to head on over and check it out. I brought my discs and just played in my khaki's and polo that I had taught in that day. (yes i looked completely ridiculous).
I was enjoying the course until I foolishly swung for the fences on hole 10 and threw on top of the trees on the left of the fairway. I also had no skills for closely watching the landing of my disc so I could find it quicker. So there I am searching for my disc in my student teacher outfit in an overgrown forest type area.
Next thing I know I step on some leaves and feel something moving underneath. A 3 foot snake-of-some-sort curls out of the leaves a few feet in front of me and THEN CAME RIGHT FOR ME! No expletives were said just one long unintelligible "uhhhahhunnnghhhh!!!!" and a girlish dance I wish not to share. Luckily he must not have been mad but only confused cause before he got to me he did a 180 and high tailed it into a nearby tree. Also lucky that no one saw my display of courage.
The best irony of the whole encounter...the disc I was searching for was DX VIPER...which I ended up finding a few weeks later.

I just killed a copperhead this past Sunday on Hole 13 at Arcadia Park, in Keller, TX, right beside a children's playground. I had nightmares about snakes last night too. Every stick I see on the course now, looks just like a snake.

I am pretty protective of my discs. I would have walked up to that snake, and said "Give me my disc back , bitch!" If the snake refuses, I would tell the snake "Is that the hill you want to die on?"

I don't like snakes and I'll be damned if if one is going to take my disc.

I think its now time for my morning coffee.....----------->
Please let me know how that works out.

maybe you can just take a spray bottle of vodka around with you and spray the snakes drunk...then they won't be able to do anything? lol...or maybe they sell some kind of liquid stuff that repels snakes you can spray..
I would try it but, knowing me, most of it would get sprayed into mah belly!

For you North Houston Players, I was at McDade on Sunday, and about halfway down the fairway on the new #3, I spotted a 3-4 snake on the right side of the fairway in the brush. He was moving away as I got there, but he was smokey grey with white dots going down his side. Looked like a Cotton Mouth, and it could have been as close at that hole is to the river, but I can't be sure. Be careful playing those new holes they cut through the woods.

Why does everyone think every snake they see is poisonous?

Why does everyone think every snake they see is poisonous?

I don't think all snakes are poisonous by any means. I realize that of all of the numerous snakes in my area that only four are a threat. In my case it includes the Coral Snake, Rattle Snake, Copperhead, and Cotton Mouth (AKA Water moccasin). I also understand the value of snakes in the grand picture of nature. Most snakes do seem harmless and have identifiable markings that let me know that they are our friends. The problem is that some don't. For whatever reason, and that could be another topic in and of itself, some snake have found themselves looking similar to their poisonous cousins. Thats fine but when my disc lands near you and then you surprise me, it's a case of ask forgiveness before permission, at least in most cases. If I am backpacking in the middle of nature and run across one of these guys then sure, I am on their turf. I am going to leave them alone. While I realize we are on their turf even on the course, it kind of becomes human turf at that point you know? Same goes for playgrounds, my back yard, my garage, etc. Sorry guys, that may not be popular but it is a fact of life, in my humble but accurate opinion:D

OK, from what I have seen online of Texas Snakes it the closest thing I could find was a Yellow Bellied Water Snake. They are not venomous.

Good story.

Last month while my wife was teeing off I hear a rustle in the woods behind me, I look over and see a giant snake.

This is at Town Lake in McKinney Texas.

This snake was a monster for living in the city. He moved on down to a patch of brush and I chased him and was a second to slow to catch him. After looking in the pile of wood for a minute I realized he was gone. While I bent back up the booger was starring me in the face from the tree next to me. He was only one foot from my head when I looked up.

I slowly stepped back. Lucky for me I like snakes and never get scared, my wife on the other hand... well lets just say things worked out.

screw that!! i woulda flipped out, ive had times where my disc landed close to a snake and ive just left it

For everyone playing at Williamson County Disc Golf here in Cedar Park, Tx, i'd be on the lookout for snakes. I have seen a total of five in the last 2 rounds i played, including a monster one right by my disc. Not sure what kind he was, it was sort of a tannish color, but it wasn't a copperhead.

Latest posts