• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

I picked up a 139g Destroyer.

So far it's exactly what I was looking for, a less squirely version of my slightly seasoned Pro Destroyers. It was less nose angle sensitive, better in the wind, and overall had a more reliable fade with a little more distance. No turning and burning here. And like others have said, throwing it was effortless.

I was having huge success with high shots, I've reached a couple areas I've never been able to hit before. They seem to carry forward longer than heavier Destroyers, but they still have that nice strong fade at the end.

I definitely plan on making this my primary distance driver. I'll still carry something heavier for stronger winds.

Mine is poppy top, but not hugely domed from edge to edge. The dome really is only on the flight plate. Is this typical, or should I go back and buy more while I can?

I may have to try a 130. My 150 Destroyer is pretty beefy up here. Not getting anymore distance with it than my 167-169 Nukes. I've got a decent arm but the HSS is just wicked with the Destroyer I have. Gets out quick and then just fades like a dart. Mine is pretty domey in more of the flight plate as well. Still need to get some throws in with it. Been wanting to give it a little hyzer on release and that could be part of the problem. It's also been kind of breezy on the days I have been out and a little scared that it will turn and hop the fence if I toss it level. Need to stop being a pussy about it and just crank the thing is what it most likely comes down to.

At 5000'+, I wouldn't be afraid of my 139 turning too hard unless the headwind is up over 20mph. I was definitely afraid of doing that with my heavy Pro Destroyers, once they got just a little seasoned they were all over the place.

I've thrown mine pretty poorly with some nose up and it still pushes through and gets out there. I've had some really good nose down flat rips that have just barely turned. I've yet to have it land at less than 400', and it's got that feel of a disc that'll end up straight with a strong finish no matter what you do to it.

My 156 Boss is proving about as durable as Star so far. It has developed a little high speed turn compared to the 2 others I've only field thrown. If I'm in the open these are proving longer than any of my other discs in most conditions. My biggest problem is really trusting myself to follow through downward on a anhyzer to get the movement needed for a max D line...I keep coming across a little too flat and just getting a long straight to fade shot...Scarily these botched shots are often pretty darn long themselves. I'm looking forward to my Boss breaking in a little more.

I found a place where there was only a lot of water and pebbles on asphalt so there was more room and traction although not perfect conditions. I got a lot more power generation and got the Teedevil to turn around 3 degree from flat on low lines. I took my 150 Katana and it flipped about 6 degrees with fairly high apexes. Wide turns for open holes or hyzer flips are needed. And this baby goes and goes and you guessed it goeeeeeesssss.

Initial results for some new Blizzards me being off from being worn plus traction woes etc. 150 Wraith seems to be the most golfable out of this set. On low lines it needs a little initial hyzer to flip to flat. Maybe 3-4 degrees for me. The fade is there and is pretty hefty as you'd expect from a Wraith.

134 Wraith stamp is bizarre with the flight rating numbers. Yeah it is named the Wraith and still it flies like a totally different disc with the same shape. Which is forcing the thumb fairly out for a good grip. Because the bubble flight plate is soft and funky feeling. Kinda like the Dart And Kite but a little milder than those. The fade is less than with the 150 and the glide is exceptional. I threw it with moderately tight s-curves and high apexes for me to pretty good distances. The 150 changes flipping fast with apex changes and the 134 is even more Jekyll and Hyde being Hydeous thrown low. Therefore i'd use the 134 only for tall shots. The 150 ain't exactly forgiving thrown low so i'd shy away from head high tosses. Which are difficult with both because of the great glide and quickness of the initial portion of the flight. It is doable with both but even the 150 is unforgiving at full power.

133 Katana is useless in other roles than roller or stand still throws for 400' crowd. I don't know how much less power one should have to have use out of it. I wouldn't wonder if this suits 200-250' throwers better than 300' throwers. I threw 70 degree hyzers and wasn't able to throw cleanly each time and there is no way this thing can handle any OAT. I threw from above the knee in the reach back to top of the head or a little higher rip with immense apex heights and it still turned over about dozen degrees and still went far. No accuracy and repeating with this one at my power. Not suggesting this one for power throwers because it is the most understable disc i've thrown and it overpowers too easily.

131 Destro fades almost like the full weight normal plastic ones. That makes flexing out easy on higher lines. I didn't throw medium or low annies. At this weight the Destro suffers from the same problem as the 150 Wraith. They turn on low drives and at medium heights the don't. I have too few throws to say what the apex height for no turning for me is. 7-8' apexes turn quite a lot i'm thinking 6-7ish degrees. I didn't need to raise the apex much to not need to initial hyzer. Very rough guesstimation is around 10-13'. The low weight does not allow using it in tunnels. The fade is hefty. LSS 3-3.5 i think. For 400' crowd golfability needs a higher weight if you don't want to see a lot of difference for hyzer angles with varying apexes. How much probably varies with speed and spin of the thrower. The same is true of the 150 Wraith. For both i think at least 5 grams probably 10 are needed. Then the Wraith would get closer to normal plastics because there are at least 166 regular Star Wraiths. If you need the line of the Destro a 140-145 might just work. The trouble is losing floating and even the 131 ain't that long with line drives. So far the 150 Katana is touchy and 156 almost as long with much more reliability and ease of use and the Wraith ain't far back in D in 134 with high wide spaces. And not many other lines are good. Even then the 134 Wraith is easy to get far off the mark.

I guess the flight line needs determine if any of these are useful to you. Stand stills are greatly improved for me with many of these. For me the 156 Katana then 150 Wraith, 150 Katana and 134 Wraith are the most useful. And if there is need for HSS and assured stiff fade the 131 Destro would jump up in usability to between the 150 Wraith and the 150 Katana. YMMV. Baggable discs are 156 Katana and 150 Wraith around here. The Destro and 134 Wraith could have uses on other courses but the 134 Wraith is a hot rod and best used for throwing over objects and i recommend a minimum of 18' apex for these for 400' crowd with old speed 13 discs. The 134 Wraith is good for max D shots not golf shots. The Katana could work in around 145. 140 could be pushing it even for distance throwing.

Another masterpiece Jr. I am seeing some similar results as you. My 148 wraith is great on 75% shots but turns too much and glides too well on low lines. I have a 150 boss though that is just like a slightly beat star, if it was 150

I thought of a possible trick shot use for the 133 Katana. Thrown somewhere around vertical anny over the head it may either fly upside down or thrown with 1-3 o'clock release it might do a flip to flat right side up on lower lines. It sounds so sick that it might be fun to try it. I don't see it being usefully repeatable for trick shots but one never knows before one throws.

What I get out of Jr's review is pretty similar to what I was thinking, but I don't have the max D that he does to figure it out fully. These seem very nice for people who want to throw the same distance as a normal max D driver, but only at ~80% of the effort. I am starting to notice that if I try and throw these too far they do get a bit flippy and I am trying to control that. So far I can get my 150 Katana 400-425 feet (Thrown at a slight hyzerflip, about a 10'-12; apex), and that's easily my longest driver. With my old 170 Flash and my 168 destroyer, I could get them to max out at about 350-375 depending on the rip. So these seem to benefit the playerbase who falls into my skill level a lot more than the seasoned pro who can throw the normal discs 450+

Hello I'm new to disc and I've only been playing for a little over a month and for some reason I want to try out a blizzard disc. I feel that I might be able to throw it better because it lighter but I'm not really sure. I just try and listen to what people tell me and go from there. So one question I have is do you think the Wraith would be the best disc for a beginner thrower or a different type of blizzard? Second what would be a better weight 139 or 148? I do admit that I do not have the best strength in the world so thats why I think the lighter the better but what do I know. So if anyone can help me with this that would be great. Thank You And sorry for posting this again my first post got locked so I figured copying and pasting it to this would be the right thing to do and I have read the post in here too and I feel stupid but i still need help hahaha

MuffRyder said:
Hello I'm new to disc and I've only been playing for a little over a month and for some reason I want to try out a blizzard disc. I feel that I might be able to throw it better because it lighter but I'm not really sure. I just try and listen to what people tell me and go from there. So one question I have is do you think the Wraith would be the best disc for a beginner thrower or a different type of blizzard? Second what would be a better weight 139 or 148? I do admit that I do not have the best strength in the world so thats why I think the lighter the better but what do I know. So if anyone can help me with this that would be great. Thank You And sorry for posting this again my first post got locked so I figured copying and pasting it to this would be the right thing to do and I have read the post in here too and I feel stupid but i still need help hahaha
My suggestion to you is to stay away from Blizzard discs as they will be too much disc for you having only played a month. Learn how to throw slower discs and that will do more for your game than trying to stuff a round blizzard peg into a noodle arm hole.

Real talk: 2012 Edition.

Yeah this is true I just want to buy a nice new disc all I got are old crappy ones that I got for this Swap Man guy. All he does is go in the swaps and finds disc and I got some off of him. So a nice new one I would think is a Blizzard just cause its light but I dont know.

MuffRyder said:
Yeah this is true I just want to buy a nice new disc all I got are old crappy ones that I got for this Swap Man guy. All he does is go in the swaps and finds disc and I got some off of him. So a nice new one I would think is a Blizzard just cause its light but I dont know.
Even though they are lighter, they do still have a pile of beef on them. Perhaps if you just want something fun to throw a 150 R Pro Boss would suit you better as they really are a good deal (at least HSS) less overstable. Do they even still make 150 R Pro Bosses?

MuffRyder said:

The Katana would be your best bet.

veganray said:
150 Pro Vulcans will do a full barrel-roll & fly flat when thrown hard tomahawk.

Laff! Mambas might be pretty crazy too in low weights. I have a 159 Star Vulcan and it is about as HSS as a new Star Sidewinder. Not flippy enough for upside down in anything like a normal throw. It would have to pretty a crazy shot like 2-3 o'clock release.

My 150 blue Destroyer seems even more nose angle sensative than a typical pro/star Destroyer. And it is plenty HSS. It does bomb though, it flies like a long Predator... lol. Just give it plenty of height and throw hyzers with it. I haven't broken 400' with it...yet.
So, I purchased a 148 Boss. It has more of an inner, poppy, dome than the Destroyer, which has a nice, mild and consistent dome. Neither disc had flash, but I still gave them a lil rub-rub on the teepads. The Boss, when thrown flat and ripped, has some lateral movement and flat crushes. The blizzard Boss is easily as long as my r-pros, with less lateral movement. Me likey.

Muffryder it is true that lighter discs will be more easily powered to be controlled. The 134 Wraith fades the least out of my blizzards and the fade on the Katana is even more. The trouble with these discs is that they are hot rods. They may work well when the stars align or you throw well and know the disc inside and out and can always get the perfect combination of height, power, nose angle and hyzer angle. Miss any one of these requirements by a little and you get a very different flight. The other problem is that all of these discs are meant to fade pretty much. It is good on open courses for ranging high powered shots limiting overshooting distance. For OBs and tighter fairways you need something straighter and more trustworthy that doesn't change the flight pattern with different heights or winds. Each of these discs in the heavy versions are speed sensitive. Meaning they may be solid as a rock for you except when you get a freak good pull or headwind and then it flips hard.

Beast Bliz is coming and that will be easier to manipulate for left, straight and right flights. Even a low 160s regular Champ does that at to some extent for newer players. It isn't the most touchy disc but it can be flipped by headwinds.

Because the 134 Wraith fades the least and has good distance to input power ratio and way lower power requirement that would be the recommendation i make to new players that absolutely have to try out wide winged discs. The upside is that you'll get a glimpse of what big boy discs are like and can calibrate your needs. Plus you can start training how to grip wider discs and stretch the fingers out farther and develop grip strength. If you limit the flight paths you want to get out of your disc the Blizzzards can be beefy to moderately overstable discs at least in mild winds.

R Pro Bosses are the most fragile discs in production. One tree or rock hit and they be unusable. Bliz for the win for longevity.

Latest posts