• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's In SD86's Bag

SD86

Banned
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 5 months, play nearly every day, and play with a group on weekends.
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, learning RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Mids: 160-200 ft.; Control Drivers: 200-260 ft.; Distance Drivers: 260-320 ft.

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: weak knees; also, I'm tall (6'4") with very long, SLOW noodle arms, so getting "snap" speed is not easy for me.
Other sport proficiencies?: Regular (golf ball) golf, and same as disc golf: not the longest ball striker, but accurate as I work towards the hole.
Additional Information: I've been fortunate to be able to try out many discs by swapping with friends and getting Factory Seconds on the cheap.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I keep my core bag to a 12-disc limit, though I can carry 20 discs in a larger (Innova Deluxe) bag. I'd love it if they made a 16-disc bag (between Starter/Standard Bags and Deluxe/Competition bags). I use mostly Innova discs, though I have an "MVP bag", and also a couple of Discraft discs lying around.
On some technical/wooded courses that I play, the drivers come out and I'll have two putters, etc. The core bag here is a "generic" bag that I could take to any DG with both open and technical holes.
I consider the upshot/approach to the basket the most important shot in disc golf, even more than the putt itself. Anything from 120 ft. and in (and I strive for 150 ft. and in) should be an up-and-down in order to shave strokes off one's round. To that end, my core bag is very mid-heavy.
Also, I reach a point of diminishing returns as I get towards 300-320 ft. (my max), but I am generally throwing a speed-13 discs further than speed-12, and so on…
Specific areas of desired feedback: discs that might improve on what I have; redundancy; am I carrying too much speed for diminishing returns?
Immediate and long-term goals: want to increase driver distance through better form and increasing "snap" speed, ultimately want to begin competing in tournaments.

Discs in bold are currently in the bag:

Bag (apologies in advance for putting putters first and working up):

Putter (carry one at a time):
- 174g Dynamic Discs Classic Blend Judge - main putter.
- 172g Innova XT Mix Nova - backup, upshots/approaches, may not carry in 12-disc bag, or may carry in place of the Judge if I get the "yips".
- 168g Innova Champion Aviar P&A - was very pleasantly surprised when a friend let me try his, so got my own.

Mids (currently carry five of these in my core bag):
- 150g Innova DX Cobra - Due to the light weight, when thrown straight and at 90%+ power this disc "breaks" to the right (understable), much like a knuckleball or slider in baseball. Ergo, I use it for dogleg-rights, particularly on technical/wooded holes.
- 180g Innova McPro Roc3 - overstable mid, used for hyzers around obstacles as well. Very effective into headwinds. As the McPro breaks in, I'll use it for straighter shots and use my 180g Star Roc3, which is stiffer than most Star plastic discs I have, for overstable/hyzer uses.
- 168g Innova Champion 'Pink Panther' - use more like a long putter from 35 ft - 120 ft out, main upshot disc to park under the basket if it doesn't go in the chains.
- 176g MVP Axis, Neutron plastic - my main straight midrange, has just a bit of fade at the end.
- 175g Innova Star/GStar Mako3 - alternative to the Axis, straight mid with slight understable bias.
- 170g Innova GStar Wombat - understable, drifts right without fade back, use for annys and longer upshots needing an understable bias.

Control Drivers:
- 168g Innova Star Leopard - great disc, but got caught up between the Mids and the TL, so it is only used on certain holes on certain courses.
- 168g Innova Star TL - great for shots in 180-225 ft. range in tight/technical situations. Love this disc, especially in Star plastic.
- 165g Innova Star Valkyrie - my favorite disc, the Valk is the core of my core bag. Very slight turn but mostly straight, some fade at end, this is the point at where control and distance merge for me. I mostly carry the Star Valk, but also have GStar, Pro, DX and Champion versions. Guess where all my money went...

Distance Drivers:
- 167g Innova Pro SL - added to bag for certain holes on certain courses.
- 159g Innova Star Archon - main driver unless very windy.
- 147g Innova Blizzard Krait - VERY straight driver, then fades by dive-bombing straight down into the ground.
- 163g Innova Star Tern - relatively understable driver. Good disc; not the longest for me, though.
- 146g Innova Blizzard Teedevil - flies like the Krait, is a bit understable, working with it to see if it makes the core bag.
- 149g Innova Blizzard Dominator - longest distance driver on downhills, into the wind, etc. Overall straight flight and dive-bomb fade like the Krait.
- 149g Innova Blizzard Boss, - use on really windy days (it holds up well for me) in places overstable drivers work best (downhills, into the wind, etc.).

Forehand Flick Discs:
- 156g Innova Blizzard Destroyer - forehand flick disc, still learning but it does well if I do it right. Not carried if no room in bag.
- 167g Innova GStar Thunderbird - flies like a more stable Valkyrie for me if thrown backhand. Not carried if there's no room for it in the 12-disc bag. Working with it for forehand flicks.

Not sure what info your really looking for, but I can offer an opinion and a little advice. First off, it's nice to throw plastic and accumulate discs, but at 5 months, you carry too many discs and there is a lot of overlap. This is a good read and I would advise you to try just a few rounds with the types of discs suggested.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

For what it's worth, I'm 53 and 6'2" and this is my 5th year playing. I started out as you have with a ton of stuff with a justification for all of it. In reality, I just didn't know how to properly use any of it correctly. And you don't need special forehand discs, learn to forehand everything in your bag and you can do a lot with a few discs and it actually becomes more fun to play a round when you have to rely solely on your skill and knowing just how your discs fly in many situations instead of having a disc for every different situation.

That's just my two cents and also, always have fun!

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I definitely have overlap especially in the mids. I think that'll simplify over time even more than it already has. I don't really carry the mentioned forehand discs, as I'm still learning the forehand flick, but I hope to work into at least one of them for forehand and backhand shots.

If I were to build a bag given the discs you have listed it would be;

174g Classic Blend Judge - main putter.
168g Champion Aviar P&A - driving and upshots

180g McPro Roc3 - more Stable mid
168g Champion Panther - Hyzer flip woods disc, turnover and annie shots (I love the Panther and it forehands well for me and makes a great roller too)
176g MVP Axis, Neutron - General straight mid
168g Star Leopard - Longer Panther and another of my favorite forehand disc
168g Star TL - General straight fairway
167g GStar Thunderbird - Stable control driver, forehands well too
165g Star or Pro Valkyrie - Pro Valks bomb and at 320ft of distance, this is all you really need as of now, but yeah, it's fun throwing discs!.
167g Pro SL - Kind of overlap with the Valk, but I carry both, I prefer forehanding the SL to the Valk
163g Star Tern - For wind favorable bombs

Then get an overstable utility disc (Banshee, Firebird or Predator, etc) and I'd be all set and could pretty much play any course I came upon!

If I were to build a bag given the discs you have listed it would be;

174g Classic Blend Judge - main putter.
168g Champion Aviar P&A - driving and upshots

180g McPro Roc3 - more Stable mid
168g Champion Panther - Hyzer flip woods disc, turnover and annie shots (I love the Panther and it forehands well for me and makes a great roller too)
176g MVP Axis, Neutron - General straight mid
168g Star Leopard - Longer Panther and another of my favorite forehand disc
168g Star TL - General straight fairway
167g GStar Thunderbird - Stable control driver, forehands well too
165g Star or Pro Valkyrie - Pro Valks bomb and at 320ft of distance, this is all you really need as of now, but yeah, it's fun throwing discs!.
167g Pro SL - Kind of overlap with the Valk, but I carry both, I prefer forehanding the SL to the Valk
163g Star Tern - For wind favorable bombs

Then get an overstable utility disc (Banshee, Firebird or Predator, etc) and I'd be all set and could pretty much play any course I came upon!

Thanks for the ideas. My Leopard's a great disc, but its gotten caught up between my mids (especially the Axis) and the TL, and it's truly redundant in my 12-disc-limit bag. I agree that I could go no faster than the Valkyrie and I'd be fine for distance. I use the Tern for anhyzers and wind-aided distance.

Thanks to some fun trial-and-error work at the course (Alexander Park, Lawrenceville, GA) and on the range, and inspired by the comments of my new friends here at DGCR, this is my streamlined Core Bag:

Core Bag (apologies in advance for putting putters first and working up):

Putters:
- 174g Dynamic Discs Classic Blend Judge - main putter, not used for upshots/approaches.
- 168g Innova Champion 'Pink Panther' - yes, it's a mid; used more like a long putter/upshot disc from 35 ft - 120 ft out

Mids:
- 150g Innova DX Cobra - understable disc.
- 180g Innova McPro Roc3 - As the McPro breaks in, I'll use it for straighter shots and then add my 180g Star Roc3, which is stiffer than most Star plastic discs I have, for overstable/hyzer uses.

Control Drivers:
- 168g Innova Star TL
- 165g Innova Star Valkyrie

Distance Drivers:
- 170g Innova F2 Star Mamba - Not sure why, but this thing suddenly started being my longest driver.
- 147g Innova F2 Blizzard Krait
- 144g Innova F2 Starlite Boss

(space for three more discs in 12-disc bag, which can be based upon particular course played)

Notes: the straight mids are out of the Core Bag, as the McPro Roc3 is getting beat in and going straighter and straighter. Also out areSpeed 12 and 13 discs, except that Starlite Boss... it's freaky understable and a hyzerflip machine for downhill distance shots. I also have space to put in discs for particular courses played ("horses for courses"), and for something more overstable if it's really windy. I'm experimenting with a 166g Latitude-64 Opto River and the 168g F2 Pro SL for certain shots on the home course. Oderwise, this Core bag should serve me well on most courses I play.

Any thoughts on y'all's part are appreciated, as always.

Update. I have a few concepts going on: 1) don't carry discs that are overly redundant (some overlap in case I lose a disc is acceptable); 2) get the high speed discs that aren't outdistancing lower speed discs out of the bag; and 3) have some high-glide discs to throw less hard and faster discs that get a bit more distance (see: TL vs. River, Valkyrie vs. Fury, Foxbat vs. Roc3 and Tangent.

Asterisks are true core bag discs, non-asterisked might be swapped out depending on the course played or other wants/needs.

Core Bag (apologies in advance for putting putters first and working up):

Putters:
- 174g Dynamic Discs Classic Blend Judge* - main putter, not used for upshots/approaches.
- 172g Innova XT Nova - backup/upshot putter. Per advice on these boards, trying to see if an upshot/driving putter will do well for me.

Mids:
- 171g Innova Star Foxbat - understable, high-glide mid for upshots/valet parking.
- 150g Innova DX Cobra* - understable disc, used for dogleg-rights or around obstacles.
- 180g Innova McPro Roc3* - stable/wind fighter
- 172g MVP Tangent, Neutron plastic - slightly understable mid, very versatile disc. Can replace functionality of a lost Cobra or Roc3 to finish a round, if need be.

Control Drivers:
- 166g Latitude-64 Opto River* - understable, high-glide control driver.
- 168g Innova Star TL* - fast control driver, great shot-shaper.
- 174g Latitude-64 GL Fury* - understable, high-glide control/distance driver.
- 165g Innova Star Valkyrie* - control/distance driver for technical shots as well as a full distance driver off the tee.

Distance Drivers:
- 147g Innova F2 Blizzard Krait* - stable distance driver, very straight flight.
- 153g MVP Wave, Neutron plastic* - seriously understable/flippy, but hyzer-flip machine and longest distance driver.
- 157g MVP Photon, Neutron plastic - mildly overstable, flex machine, for into-the-wind and downhill shots.

Looking to put one stable/overstable control driver into the bag. The GStar Thunderbird, F2 Pro SL, X-Out Star Firebird and Star Starfire are candidates.

It's been fun getting to this point, and I think I can take this bag to just about any course (we ain't talking 780-foot holes the pros play) and not be left wanting for something. If anyone has ideas, suggestions, or questions, please let me know...

Last edited:
Looking to put one stable/overstable control driver into the bag. The GStar Thunderbird, F2 Pro SL, X-Out Star Firebird and Star Starfire are candidates.

Might be disappointed in the Thunderbird for that roll and The Pro SL is not really overstable (it's my main straight driver) and a Firebird may be too much beaf at your distance, but it does come in handy.

A few other options you may want to look into are a Star or Champion Banshee, the Predator and C-FD2. All of these I think are more workable for slower arms than a Firebird.

Might be disappointed in the Thunderbird for that roll and The Pro SL is not really overstable (it's my main straight driver) and a Firebird may be too much beaf at your distance, but it does come in handy.

A few other options you may want to look into are a Star or Champion Banshee, the Predator and C-FD2. All of these I think are more workable for slower arms than a Firebird.

Agree the SL is not truly overstable, but it's "stable enough"... kind of like the Krait for me.

I have liked the Thunderbird so far. It does have a bit more glide than overstable discs (such as the FL), but I can take advantage of that. The Champion McBeth 3x Thunderbird might be what I need in this role.

Yes, the Firebird is probably not what I need, but I do get to practice forehands with it for kicks and giggles. I have thrown it backhand at the "range" (big schoolyard) as well as the Starfire, and they're fun to throw flex shots with.

And I like the idea of the C-FD2. That may be coming in the future...

Thanks for the tips.

It's hard to believe, but within the last month or so two discs came out that have totally rearranged my core bag. Those discs are the Innova Colt and the MVP Wave.

So here's the current Core Bag:

Putters:
- 174g Dynamic Discs Classic Blend Judge - main putter, not used for upshots/approaches.
- 174g Dynamic Discs Lucid Judge - backup/upshot putter.

Mids:
- 175g Innova DX Colt - upshot/approach disc.
- 150g Innova DX Cobra - understable disc.
- 176g Innova McPro Roc3 - overstable/wind fighter

Control Drivers:
- 168g Latitude-64 Gold Line River - high-glide control driver, good for tight helix shots in the woods.
- 168g Innova Star TL - fast control driver, great shot-shaper.
- 174g Latitude-64 Gold Line Fury - understable, high-glide control/distance driver.
- 165g Innova Star Valkyrie - control/distance driver for technical shots as well as distance.
- 166g Innova Champion (McBeth 3x) Thunderbird - finally figured out which overstable disc I like most, and this is it.

Distance Drivers:
- 153g MVP Neutron Wave - seriously understable/flippy, but hyzer-flip machine and longest distance driver.
- 173g MVP Neutron Wave - more stable than the lightweight Wave, not quite the distance, but does okay in headwinds.

The Foxbat might be in the bag when I play, but the Colt just about made it obsolete for me. Ditto for the Lucid Judge, though I still bag it. I find myself throwing the Colt on 90% of my upshots.

Speed 11 discs have been replaced by the Waves. I might put the Krait or Archon in the bag, but I'm finding that I almost never throw them any more.

Also: as if this writing, I have a Wizard SS on order, so we'll see if it's as great as many here say, and if it can beat the Classic Blend Judge out of the bag... :)