• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So you want to learn how to putt in the wind?

I just sent this to a friend of mine that had a 5 footer turn into a 40 footer because of a headwind. Haven't heard back from him yet.... Weird....

i don't get that form, a straddle putt with his off foot behind the marker? that just seems awkward to me

I'd recommend that you'd learn this type of straddle putt! It makes perfect sense having a straddle putt where both of your feet are at the same distance from the basket. That gives you more options on negotiating obstacles by either stretching sideways to the left or to the right from the marker.

That's what happens when you try to putt while holding a towel in your offhand. Let that be a lesson to us all.

Of course, once you've played in enough wind like that, you learn to throw past the basket and let the wind blow it in from behind. Learn to USE the wind.

I imagine every Emporia local thought like myself when we heard they were using the muni golf course for the GBO. That people would experience a new type of hatred for wind. I bet if you look in every players bag that plays in the midwest you'll find at least one Predator or Firebird. It's just a must.

Edit: to Mashnut

I'm guessing it's because as a Right hander he doesn't have his Right foot behind his lie

wrt the straddle putt what does it matter what foot is behind the lie?

sometimes the lie might be such that you would have to have one foot or the other behind it

and to be fair to that guy
that would be total SUCK and not fun

on a positive, given that basket location people probably did not overthrow and into the OB water with that headwind

Generally I don't mind putting with my beat Magic into a stiff headwind, but I'm gonna pull out the Firebird and putt with it into that shizz.

Best to putt with the Firebird upside down. This is common in west Texas... and obviously Kansas and Oklahoma too.

Always try to approach to the upwind side of the basket.

Definitely thought it was going in the water until it didn't. What kind of disc was that BTW?

eegor said it, that's just a light breeze here in the wind tunnel states.

I'm having a hard time seeing what's different/weird about his straddle stance.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that there was nothing obstructing his line to the basket... Why not have your dominant foot behind the mini? I get having your off foot if there's a tree in the way... That's all.

Hm, I've never noticed any difference with my left or right foot behind the mini on a straddle putt, never would have thought of that as odd.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that there was nothing obstructing his line to the basket... Why not have your dominant foot behind the mini? I get having your off foot if there's a tree in the way... That's all.

I do that regularly, the concept of a dominant foot sort of loses its meaning when straddle putting. But also there might be a number of other reasons why you would use one foot or the other behind the mini. For example how comfortable the stance is, wind direction and the ground conditions that the disc might end up in if you miss. So all of that could affect which foot you put behind the mini, atleast it does for me :)

Of course, once you've played in enough wind like that, you learn to throw past the basket and let the wind blow it in from behind. Learn to USE the wind.

You mean like this ?

God I watch too much DG on youtube.

One reason to straddle putt in strong ind when close to the basket is that it can allow you to rotate around and get the wind more at your back, or at least not head on. And I always straddle when spin putting anyway.