• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Speed 10 Overstable Drivers

I am color blind so have difficulty seeing many colors. I usually stick with Pink or Yellow and all the orcs in champion we're green. Decided I would spend a little less to try it. I'll upgrade to a more premium plastic if I enjoy the disc. I'm not huge on champion though. Is star okay for the orc?

I am color blind so have difficulty seeing many colors. I usually stick with Pink or Yellow and all the orcs in champion we're green. Decided I would spend a little less to try it. I'll upgrade to a more premium plastic if I enjoy the disc. I'm not huge on champion though. Is star okay for the orc?

I think so but people have not been liking Star as of late, only super popular molds and a few that never molded up right from the get go yet they still make them were the ones that have problems. With the mold like the popular molds they just make more so the discs have more chance for mistakes.

I think the Orc is just more beefy in Star and that is a good thing for a wind disc.

Last edited:

I never cared for the grip of champio, Star is fine. They come both flatter and with some dome. I've never had a problem with either. G* is nice too. Pro flies a little less stable. I have a pro as my water disc, it's missing a huge chunk of the rim and after two years, I still haven't lost in the water!

Orcs are a great old mold. I tried the PD and the Thunderbird, both too shallow for me, I could never get a constant grip or feel for them. The Starfire is nice too, but Pro Starfires are the L mold, so if you ever decide to try one, stick with a star.

The Star Orc will be just fine. :thmbup: Chances are that you'll get one in 'good' Star plastic, as well.

Last edited:
The PD felt super stiff and almost sharp in my hand at the store. I liked how the Orc felt more.

G-Star and Star, what is the difference? I did see they had both but have not kept on Innova in years.

Gstar is generally a tad less stable than star, gummy and beats in quicker. But it has great grip for cold and/or rainy rounds.

The PD felt super stiff and almost sharp in my hand at the store. I liked how the Orc felt more.

G-Star and Star, what is the difference? I did see they had both but have not kept on Innova in years.

Star is generally firmer than GStar, generally more (over)stable than GStar, and usually more durable (will retain its flight characteristics longer, i.e. not break in) than GStar. Some prefer the GStar for grippiness. I prefer Star myself.

that is the pd for ya that sharper wing that penetrates wind.. a little uncomfortable yes. go to thunderbird it has almost the exact same flight if it freaks your hand out.

the felon wing actually measures a bit more than the pd. but wing size is always directly correlated to speed.

Yeah PD hand feel is not great to me, but it just cuts through wind and doesn't care much. Thunderbird is a little more glide and likes a little higher lines, it is pretty ignoring of wind but the PD just eats it up. I bag the Thunderbird, I prefer the glide/slower speed, hand feel for sure, and it's good enough for me in the wind. But the PD is without question a bit better in wind.

Felon is a fun disc and I bag one and have had a couple...but I don't think it is near as HSS as the PD or maybe even Thunderbird, while having more fade and less distance potential than either because of the LSS. Good placement OS driver and power FH "fairway" but the PD is just dead straight in wind.

I've never thrown Orcs, so I hope it works out for you, especially if you like the feel better than PD or Thunderbird.

The Star Orc will be just fine. :thmbup: Chances are that you'll get one in 'good' Star plastic, as well.

What is bad Star Plastic? I have only found molds that do not work all that well in Star that have problems molding the way the disc molds up in other plastics like the Shark, the low to flat top Star Valkyrie's needing more power when thrown as well as most of the popular molds having flight constancy issues in Star more them any plastic Innova makes due to number of discs made and number of runs made.

the low to flat top Star Valkyrie's needing more power when thrown

<3 Flat Star Valkyries <3

I've known Star to feel very consistent over the years. Pro is one where I don't buy online. Lately I've come across some Pro blends that are softer than G*. Almost gelatinous. I've got to buy those in store to make sure they're the stiff Pro.

<3 Flat Star Valkyries <3

I've known Star to feel very consistent over the years. Pro is one where I don't buy online. Lately I've come across some Pro blends that are softer than G*. Almost gelatinous. I've got to buy those in store to make sure they're the stiff Pro.

R-Pro has an even worse problem in some molds. Pro Does too but that is more the mold having a Feel like Star, glossy and average Star stiffness for each disc to almost the way old Pro felt in fairway and driver discs, stiff but not KC Pro Stiff and not as glossy as Star. I think the problem stems from having 3 major types of Pro Plastic, Pro, R-Pro, and KC as well as the two pro's putters not to mention XT, a KC like plastic in feel that is not even close to as durable as KC Pro.

The problem is they make too many Pro Plastics and would be better served making the old Pro plastic combining the R-Pro and new Pro type formulas figure out how to make a more consistent Pro that is like the old Pro in terms of consistency and feel.

What is bad Star Plastic? I have only found molds that do not work all that well in Star that have problems molding the way the disc molds up in other plastics like the Shark, the low to flat top Star Valkyrie's needing more power when thrown as well as most of the popular molds having flight constancy issues in Star more them any plastic Innova makes due to number of discs made and number of runs made.

R-Pro has an even worse problem in some molds. Pro Does too but that is more the mold having a Feel like Star, glossy and average Star stiffness for each disc to almost the way old Pro felt in fairway and driver discs, stiff but not KC Pro Stiff and not as glossy as Star. I think the problem stems from having 3 major types of Pro Plastic, Pro, R-Pro, and KC as well as the two pro's putters not to mention XT, a KC like plastic in feel that is not even close to as durable as KC Pro.

The problem is they make too many Pro Plastics and would be better served making the old Pro plastic combining the R-Pro and new Pro type formulas figure out how to make a more consistent Pro that is like the old Pro in terms of consistency and feel.

There is the very firm Star and the relatively softer/gummier Star (not talking about Shimmer Star, either). My TL3 is very much that firm Star, almost like Lat64's Gold Line, while my Star Roc3s are a bit softer,but not GStar soft. I personally like the firmer Star better; YMMV.

As to Pro, which I believe is the base ingredient of Star, it can come out really nice, consistent, Star-like, and I've got some that feel weird, look bad, and make me think of a bad DX. Out of curiosity, who around here reading this likes R-Pro?

There is the very firm Star and the relatively softer/gummier Star (not talking about Shimmer Star, either). My TL3 is very much that firm Star, almost like Lat64's Gold Line, while my Star Roc3s are a bit softer,but not GStar soft. I personally like the firmer Star better; YMMV.

As to Pro, which I believe is the base ingredient of Star, it can come out really nice, consistent, Star-like, and I've got some that feel weird, look bad, and make me think of a bad DX. Out of curiosity, who around here reading this likes R-Pro?

I actually like R-Pro, especially when its molded as a Rhyno. I wish they still made R-Pro Polecats, as they would be the best hit and stick approach disc except for the DGA Signature line discs. I use the R-Pro Rhyno as my get out of jail disc, as well as straight approach putter and my wet putter. I sometime wish for a firmer Pro Rhyno as another option for a putting putter.

I am a RHBH player that throws 350'-400' max depending on disc. I am by no means a power thrower. I currently bag a Volt as my go-to driver and love it for most shots. I also have an Insanity which is a nice faster understable compliment.

I was using the Fission Photon but I'm not pushing it much further than a Volt (I have my best throws with the Volt) and it's not working as a good wind fighter. So I am in need of some recommendations for a Speed 10 that can fight the wind and still give me some nice distance. I am not married to a specific company so anything is fine.

I was looking at getting an Orc. It seems to be what I want but not sure. I have tried the Predator in the past but I didn't click with it.

Have you ever tried a Wrath? They're beefy enough to not make me second guess flicking or backhanding into a headwind, but still have nice glide and distance for this type of disc.

The Orc is not what you want. They show a little high speed turn thrown hard, especially into the wind. Predator is a better choice.

It's a bit faster than you want, but the Force isn't a bad idea either.

I did finally test the orc on the course today. It had a very consistent fade. It fought the wind well and did what I was hoping. Thrown with some hyzer it held it for a nice long time. I'm gonna try to do another round this week with it.

We throw similar range and I'd recommend any of the following:

S-Line PD, big Z Vulture, pro Thunderbird

Personally I use a beat up predator for this slot. If I carried one of those 3, it would be the vulture.

Last edited:
I'm a gyro thrower but yeah a Discmania PD would probably be a good fit - Orc is solid as well - If you wanna try an orc let me know!

Also a Wraith is a good choice - like a fresh star wraith - its speed 11 lil wider but gets good distance while having a reliable fade out - can't go wrong with a classic

I'm a gyro thrower but yeah a Discmania PD would probably be a good fit - Orc is solid as well - If you wanna try an orc let me know!

Also a Wraith is a good choice - like a fresh star wraith - its speed 11 lil wider but gets good distance while having a reliable fade out - can't go wrong with a classic

I think this person is one who does not use discs past speed 10 even though Speed 11 is okay and not needing a max arm or max power to throw the disc at least the non super overstable discs.