• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin Painting

Hey really like my fan set up, and I am going to try some of those painting methods you got going there Dan.

I havnt tried anything like that.

IMG_1045_zps295515ad.jpg

Electrical work. I freakin' hate electrical work, because I am so blindingly stupid at it compared to everything else. Please, folks, help me learn how to fish here. Dan, I saw your diagram, I appreciate the time to make it, but I see that green wire going into the middle of the grey wire which then goes into the fan, and I say "duh?" It doesn't quite seem to line up with what I'm doing, although I'm sure it does and I'm not seeing how.

fanmotork.jpg

Here's what I'm looking at. The knife, wire stripper, coffee, and the frustrated disc dyer are off camera. The black wire controls the low setting, red/blue are med/hi (I gather the taping these off part), the white is "off" or "neutral state". I simply do not grasp how I'm connecting the dimmer switch to the power supply, or if I even have to bother with that at all. Any help is greatly and fundamentally appreciated.

I gather that I'm supposed to connect the black wires from the dimmer, to the black wire and the white wire from the motor. The green is ground, and to that I once again go "duh" when I look to what to connect it to. Am I simply stripping a middle section of the power supply wires and hooking up my green wire to that?

Last edited:
Rayne the dimmer switch needs to be between the power source and the motor. The dimmer switch I have had the three wires coming out of it, the green on one side, the two blacks on the other, maybe yours isn't quite the same? But basically you need a hot line from the outlet attached to the hot dimmer line and the hot motor line. Then the other side is the ground, one from the power outlet and one from the fan. So i just cut the original switch out, attached the two power outlet lines to the dimmer switch, then the two from the motor.

Last edited:
Forgive my stupidity here, I really do want to learn how to do this, as opposed to just saying "build this for me", but there are core concepts I'm still not grasping.

The dimmer switch is the same- the picture got cropped when it was resized and I didn't notice, but there are two blacks out of one side, and a green on the other.

What I'm hung up on right now is what a "hot" line is. I cut the original switch out (I haven't actually done that yet, but I understand that much), and now have four wires coming from the original switch. I understand that I can disregard two of them, and know which two those are. Maybe I'm wrong here, please stop me if I am.

So I have two wires coming from the old switch, and two wires coming from the power outlet, with the motor in-between, and this is where I get confused. I was under the impression that I was hooking up the dimmer switch to the two wires remaining from the old switch; but now if I'm reading this correctly (big if), it would seem that I'd strip out a section of one of the power outlet wires, and use the dimmer switch to bridge the gap. If that's the case, then I'm totally out in left field here as to what to do, because then I have no idea what's happening with the remaining wires from the switch, or where to connect the ground to.

Really, thanks for the help on this. If I could see a picture of how someone else had their wiring set up, I could probably figure it out from there, but from descriptions people are giving me I am just not figuring this out. :(

The double white is the in lines from the power outlet. The three grey/one black is coming from the motor. It's a little hard to tell but the black from the motor is attached to one of the blacks coming out of the dimmer switch.
dimmerDSC_3998_zps96c1e906.jpg

Edit: Thanks for taking the time to take that pic. That's going to help a *lot*. The fan connection (before surgery) then would appear to be as such- power wire connects to fan switch connects to motor. For some reason, I was thinking power wire connects to motor connects to fan switch.

Hrm, lemme take one more go at this in a step-by-step fashion, so maybe it'll be clearer where I'm not clear.

1) Remove the old switch, which leaves four "fan switch wires" coming out of the fan motor. Tape off the two which control the fastest speeds.
2) Disconnect one of the grey "power wires" going into the fan motor.
3) Splice a black "dimmer wire" onto the exposed "power wire" from step #2.
4) Splice the other black "dimmer wire" onto the one remaining "fan switch wire" from step #1.

I think I'm still on track at this point. Here's where I get lost- what is the green wire connecting to? From your diagram it would appear that I'd strip a section of the remaining "power wire" and attach the green ground "dimmer wire" to that. I'd also be left with one "fan switch wire" which would control the off-state, and I've no idea what to do with that.

I'm trying here, I really am. :(

Edit again: You can hold off on responding to this mess (although thank you again!), I'm going to give another serious run on figuring this out now.

Last edited:
It seems yo me that this has been complicated way too much. You dont really need to disconnect the original switch that operates the fan.

If you take the power cable that the fan comes with and cut one side of it only, then wire the switch inline, and screw a sheet metal screw into the side of the fan's cage and ground out the green wire.

A basic box fan runs off of 110 volt A/C current. Meaning alternating. Ie. The electrical current bounces back and forth, therefore it shouldn't matter as to which wire you have it go through if done this way.

Essentially it would look like this in a line... plug...wire...dimmer wire...dimmer switch...dimmer wire...fan wire...fan power switch...fan wire...plug.

One big loop is all that electricity will want to do. I hope this little bit of electrical theory
helps.

Forgot to mention, in case you haven't yet... make sure to work on this and any electrical project while the power is disconnected. It's hard to throw a disc if all you have are claws.

So, here's an update. We were all drastically overcomplicating this.

I went to a shop where an electrician disc golfer friend of mine works, and after the traditional "three-man huddle over a motor", the two electricians deduced that there was no need whatsoever to cut the power cable.

What we did was cut two cables out of the fan motor controller, the low speed and the null (control?). One black wire from the dimmer goes to the low speed wire, the other goes to the null/control wire. Ground your ground wire. Boom. Drop mic on stage.

I'd post a picture, but I got so excited when it got working that I promptly wrapped it up in cardboard. I'm doing a few trial runs now, in a few days I'll post the results of some pretty trippy ideas I have.

So..... I went the motorless route. My wife has an old mixer with the bowl that sits on a plate on wheels. I simply pulled the mixer away from the bowl/wheel.... placed a paper plate on top of the bowl (which happened to be the perfect size) and then placed the disc on the plate. I hand spun the wheel at a decent rate and was sure to pull the brush up before the wheel slowed down. Came out just fine. Can't wait to see the final results.

This technique is super fun.... but way harder than I had imagined. Thanks guys for the ideas.

Hey goose how is the spin table working? Id like to do this too but I don't know if I wanna take apart a fan or buy a lazy susan.

It is working pretty well. I need to get some new brushes. It is more difficult to get those bold colors that Dan is getting. I need to do a spin only disc to really know for sure. I will post what I got when I get home. My main problem is that the disc gets off centered from time to time. This makes the ring slightly more skinny on one side compared to the other. I wish that I had access to a potters wheel. That would be the very best.

So have any of you guys tried doing this to both sides of a disc? I'll bet a white disc done front and back (and the inner rim too!) would look amazing!

Dan, how much more would jtreadwell's idea of spin painting an entire disc front and back cost to do? I'm really interested in getting that done :)

Here's a lil' something I cooked together this morning. Dan, you're the man.

goodmorningbaltimore.jpg

Available FSOT for new dyeable plastic.

Dan, how much more would jtreadwell's idea of spin painting an entire disc front and back cost to do? I'm really interested in getting that done :)

I wanna see yours when it's done so I can invest in one myself!:D

Rayne that's sweet, nice use of the technique!

I'm struggling with the bottom at the moment so it won't be me doing it. I'm just putting a duct tape roll on top of the fan's center part to cover the "nose cone", it works ok, not as stable as it needs to be. I need to replace the fan blade apparatus with something that will hold the disc properly but still provides the ventilation of the blowing fan (love that part of it!). Any suggestions?

Rayne that's sweet, nice use of the technique!

I'm struggling with the bottom at the moment so it won't be me doing it. I'm just putting a duct tape roll on top of the fan's center part to cover the "nose cone", it works ok, not as stable as it needs to be. I need to replace the fan blade apparatus with something that will hold the disc properly but still provides the ventilation of the blowing fan (love that part of it!). Any suggestions?

Have you thought about modifying an old record player perhaps?

Latest posts