• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Springwood Players Course extinct!

I don't get it. Why does everything have to be 300+ feet? What's wrong with something in the 180-250 range? If hole 2 is okay as reposado says, then isn't there any way to make a shorty for number 3 that isn't stupidly tight and isn't stupidly easy? Maybe a little turnover or flick along the woods that finishes 100 feet in? Can you take out a couple small trees if necessary?

The woods are shaped like a boomerang. If you lopped limbs as much as was done for hole 2 you'd have a similarly wide fairway. The tricky part is that the unused woods are more sloped which makes it feel a little tighter than it really is.

I agree that not everything has to be 300', especially with holes close to other park activities. Less is more when safety is concerned IMO. This course is eventually going to get really Jekyll and Hyde feeling with oddly long holes vs filler holes made to address safety issues. Something that I think is worth kicking the tires on is making hole 2 a tight, technical par 4 that uses all the woods.

Pros:

• Actual dogleg
  • woods keep discs away from other patrons
  • One of the few wooded holes on the course
  • More risk/reward and less luck factor of current hole
  • No awkward transition to unsafe tees.
  • Shortest transition to next hole, especially if basket is placed in the open.
  • Could mature into a nice hole as trees grow
Cons:
  • Technical to the point of annoying many
  • White tee location could be tricky
  • Involves a lot of limb lopping and possibly a tree removal or two to create landing zone at the bend.
  • Southpaws would hate it.
  • Hole 2 is decent enough as it is.