• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

St. Jude Disc Golf Charity Invitational- still spots available!

Cool tournament that I hope grows! There were things I didn't care for though. Nothing to do with its cause just the way it plays.

First talking about it being the future of disc golf and acting like it was some impressive engineering feat to design and put up the course was over the top and inaccurate. That would be simple to design a course there. I do enjoy the elevation changes and the way the disc skips across fairways, but it is kind of a wide open boring course.

Second only playing two rounds is not enough in the future. Let the pros battle it out more! Although we all know with 3 rounds McBeth wins and a 4th round it's probably not that close.

Last and definitely least is that in bounds call of Will's in the bunker. That disc was completely in the bunker and clearly ob. That has set a stupid precedent for future tournaments to squint and throw some blades of grass on top of your disc and argue it's in bounds. Will should've walked up to it and just admitted he was ob and taken his stroke instead of arguing. He still wins. Doss didn't help the situation. Now if Feldberg and potentially others play their and go ob they will cause a huge scene because they let Will get away with it.

In bounds call has NOTHING to do with any blades of grass. It was leaning on the side of the bunker, which is in-bounds. If it would have hit that same spot and then went bounced COMPLETELY back into the sand trap he would have got the call to play it from where it hit the side of the bunker. Instead, it hit the side of the bunker and stayed, touching in bounds.

It wasn't intended to be a Major from a disc golf standpoint (4 rounds) but a major charity event.

It wasn't intended to be a Major from a disc golf standpoint (4 rounds) but a major charity event.

It was sanctioned as an A-tier (an XA, to be exact). One of the requirements of an A-tier is a minimum of 54 holes. Of course, the fact that it was only 36 holes is probably part of the reason it was an X-tier as well.

In bounds call has NOTHING to do with any blades of grass. It was leaning on the side of the bunker, which is in-bounds. If it would have hit that same spot and then went bounced COMPLETELY back into the sand trap he would have got the call to play it from where it hit the side of the bunker. Instead, it hit the side of the bunker and stayed, touching in bounds.
Ya I understand the ruling. I just don't agree with it. The side of the bunker shouldn't be a thing. The eye test says he was completely in the bunker. It would be cool and easier to distinguish if the rule (for bunkers only) was if any of your disc is in it then it's ob.

Ya I understand the ruling. I just don't agree with it. The side of the bunker shouldn't be a thing. The eye test says he was completely in the bunker. It would be cool and easier to distinguish if the rule (for bunkers only) was if any of your disc is in it then it's ob.
That would be copying the ball golf rule. Of course, the logical extension would be no penalty but you have to kick your disc out of the bunker without grounding that foot before your kick. ;)

Not sure that would fix anything, you would still have to make the exact same type of calls as was made on Sunday.

That would be copying the ball golf rule. Of course, the logical extension would be no penalty but you have to kick your disc out of the bunker without grounding that foot before your kick. ;)

Finally you guys are on the right track.

Sincerely,

Brodie

I have played a lot of disc golf on ball golf courses - casual rounds and tournaments - and have TD'd several events played on ball golf courses. Bunkers and greens (which weren't OB for this event) make natural hazards and add strategy and complexity to these courses, which need it because of the general lack of trees. I disagree with earlier posts which opine that ball golf courses make for boring disc golf. If properly executed, a disc golf design on a ball golf course can require a lot more than Hyzer bombs, especially if you have some elevation to work with. (Come play Goat Hill Park in Oceanside, CA to see what I mean.)

That being said, if the TD decides not to use rope/string to mark OB on bunkers and greens it becomes tremendously important to make clear to players what defines the OB line. On greens (not applicable here) you have to use a cut line in the grass - the boundary between the mowing thickness of greens and fringe or fringe and rough/fairway. Depending upon the level of upkeep of the course these lines can vary from very distinct to indistinguishable.

For bunkers, you have to decide if the line is the edge of the sand in the bottom of the bunker, or if the line is the edge at the top of the cut into the grass (the "lip") above the bunker's surface. Dana's comment above would reflect defining the OB line as the edge of the sand. I prefer the top of the lip on the bunker as the line, so if I were running the event Will's disc would have been OB. Neither method is right or wrong - both have pluses and minuses depending on course maintenance.

But what becomes very important is making the definition clear to players and officials, either during the players meeting or with a rules handout that preferably includes pictures of some examples of inbounds and out-of-bounds discs. Handouts are always better, as players often miss important info stated during players meetings. I have no idea how this information was passed on at St. Jude, but it is critical to making this kind of call.

Dana (if you read this far), can you shed some light on how OB bunkers were defined for players?

I have played a lot of disc golf on ball golf courses - casual rounds and tournaments - and have TD'd several events played on ball golf courses. Bunkers and greens (which weren't OB for this event) make natural hazards and add strategy and complexity to these courses, which need it because of the general lack of trees. I disagree with earlier posts which opine that ball golf courses make for boring disc golf. If properly executed, a disc golf design on a ball golf course can require a lot more than Hyzer bombs, especially if you have some elevation to work with. (Come play Goat Hill Park in Oceanside, CA to see what I mean.)

That being said, if the TD decides not to use rope/string to mark OB on bunkers and greens it becomes tremendously important to make clear to players what defines the OB line. On greens (not applicable here) you have to use a cut line in the grass - the boundary between the mowing thickness of greens and fringe or fringe and rough/fairway. Depending upon the level of upkeep of the course these lines can vary from very distinct to indistinguishable.

For bunkers, you have to decide if the line is the edge of the sand in the bottom of the bunker, or if the line is the edge at the top of the cut into the grass (the "lip") above the bunker's surface. Dana's comment above would reflect defining the OB line as the edge of the sand. I prefer the top of the lip on the bunker as the line, so if I were running the event Will's disc would have been OB. Neither method is right or wrong - both have pluses and minuses depending on course maintenance.

But what becomes very important is making the definition clear to players and officials, either during the players meeting or with a rules handout that preferably includes pictures of some examples of inbounds and out-of-bounds discs. Handouts are always better, as players often miss important info stated during players meetings. I have no idea how this information was passed on at St. Jude, but it is critical to making this kind of call.

Dana (if you read this far), can you shed some light on how OB bunkers were defined for players?

In the article on the PDGA website they quoted the bunker OB guidance given to players which was as Dana described with the additional caveat, "when in doubt, inbounds".

Can someone re-post the picture of his disc in the bunker?

Seems like I saw it on DGCR somewhere.
Thanks.

Can someone re-post the picture of his disc in the bunker?

Seems like I saw it on DGCR somewhere.
Thanks.

See post #27 in this very thread.

Seems like there is ST.Jude posting in two different threads, this one the "spots left" feeler thread and what I would consider the Main Tourney one.

Should these be merged for simplicity sake?

Last edited:
They ruled this one OB for McMahon during the first round:

ThR9PRZ.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx0T2-_urjo at 23:30 :popcorn:

I wonder what it costs to close a golf course like that for a weekend.

No idea what that cost could be, but cost to book a tee time for a group up to four players is $135 according to their website. Figure 5 tee times an hour (every 20 minutes) for 10 hours a day (7am-5pm) multiplied by two courses...that's a minimum of about $13500 in potential revenue per day. Multiply that by the three days the disc golf course was set up...they're giving up about $40K in potential revenue to host the event.

Have to figure they're looking for rental/use costs to cover a bulk of that, if only to justify them shutting down for the event. Of course, there's probably a discount of some sort for the charity that they can write off at the end of the year.

Regarding fundraising - I will be interested to see if it's better next year. Aside from doing good, raising money in this circumstance is also a great opportunity for self promotion. Paul McBeth is doing the types of things that true stars do. He isn't letting the limitations of DG limit him. He is bringing it up and I applaud him.

I also would like to applaud Will Shusterick for having the persistence and determination to bring his game where it needs to be to occasionally beat McBeth. He knew he needed to develop a good forehand shot so he did. I can feel the practice, persistence, and determination when I watch him play.

Last edited:
Any coverage of McBeast's rounds? I could care less about watching the lead card final round...twice.

I think it was actually covered by 4 film crews. So you can enjoy the lead card over and over.

Latest posts