• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Standstill Throwing and Distance instructional?

Would a standstill instructional be something you are interested in?

• yes

Votes: 156 90.7%
  • no

Votes: 16 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gcr_russell

* Ace Member *
I'm toying around with the idea of creating a basic instructional clip for standstill throwing. This would include distance, control, and weight transfer advice for those of us with bum knees.

I'd potentially like to do something, but need motivation, and am curious if many forum users would be interested.

For what it's worth I throw consistently over 400', have an all time high of 525', and have done this all standstill. I'm constantly helping others with what I perceive to be areas of opportunity in their throws, but as I said above, am unsure as to the interest levels of anyone here.

I'm toying around with the idea of creating a basic instructional clip for standstill throwing. This would include distance, control, and weight transfer advice for those of us with bum knees.

I'd potentially like to do something, but need motivation, and am curious if many forum users would be interested.

For what it's worth I throw consistently over 400', have an all time high of 525', and have done this all standstill. I'm constantly helping others with what I perceive to be areas of opportunity in their throws, but as I said above, am unsure as to the interest levels of anyone here.

I would absolutely love a standstill video,can't think of any out there off the top of my head.

I'd be interested, too. I can't d anything like that. Even with full run-up I top out around 325' on level ground.

Dan Beato addresses a stand still throw a little here. But definitely bring it on!

I would like to see one too. Bum knees make it hard to do the runup or X-step for more than one round a day.
Thanks in advance.

I would like an in-person standstill instructional. The online ones just don't sink in effectively for me.

Who voted no??? LOL! :popcorn:

I'd be all over this. You know you're doing something right if you don't need a huge run-up for good D.

No one needs a huge (or any) run-up for good D. I just got (un)lucky enough to find that out by having a POS knee. It's looking like I'll have to find a way to verbalize what I'm doing, and break it down into parts.

I'd definitely benefit from seeing how its done successfully. I've been working on my form and timing and can get it 375' - 400' with my fairway drivers with just a full x-step but I know there are still a few things I am missing.

No one needs a huge (or any) run-up for good D. I just got (un)lucky enough to find that out by having a POS knee. It's looking like I'll have to find a way to verbalize what I'm doing, and break it down into parts.

Sorry, I can not agree. A good x-setp certainly adds a additional 30% distance.

That said, in my last tournament in the mountains I had to throw alot from a standstill and I since decided to practice it ^^ Would be interested in a video about it, even though I think I got it down quite nicely in the last week.

Yep I'd be interested. I do use an x-step, but I also go from a standstill for many shots (actually more of a one-step). Even for players that don't use standstills much, I think there would be a lot of carry over as far as technique. So, in short, would love to see it!

I would watch it. I'm not all that good at a standstill throw with any distance.

Hail yeah, if you want to, feel free.

This place is as good as any to invest your time positively.

Inside I throw standstill and semi square to the basket. I could benefit from that technique if I had no run up on a fairway shot.

One day I hope to meet and play in your area. I'll combine a spirited drive and then a game of discing for a great day.

I voted yes. I throw approaches from a stand still alot, and would like to see if I can learn anything new.

I would love to see more information from someone who makes it work. I have bee using standstill throws for control shots and more and more edging to where I find myself getting better D that way and wanting to run up less.

yeah that would be awesome! had a tourny over the weekend and i would say standstill is my weak point.. i can throw shorter approaches well but if i need to crank anything over roc/comet on a standstill i dont get the same results.. havent practiced it as much as i need to tho but any video help would be much appreciated :thmbup:

Latest posts