• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Tern Flight Numbers

Meho20

I recently purchased (2) Star Terns and they had different flight numbers
- 12 6 -3 2
- 12 6 -4 2
and YES they are both Star one is NOT a Gstar.

What is up with this?

I am fairly new to the sport and a little confused by this.

Innova changed the flight numbers and the stamp, they didn't change the mold. Same disc, different stamp. I'm sure you will find they fly the same, or as close to the same as two discs from different runs usually fly.
They will do this from time to time.
Carry on.

Innova changed the flight numbers and the stamp, they didn't change the mold. Same disc, different stamp. I'm sure you will find they fly the same, or as close to the same as two discs from different runs usually fly.
They will do this from time to time.
Carry on.

^^ Yep
From Disc Golf Center=
Innova says this about the Tern:
Note: The Star Plastic stats are 12,6,-4,2 and the GStar Plastic stats are 12,6,-3,2
Also the Champ is rated 12,6,-2,2

^^ Yep
From Disc Golf Center=
Innova says this about the Tern:
Note: The Star Plastic stats are 12,6,-4,2 and the GStar Plastic stats are 12,6,-3,2
Also the Champ is rated 12,6,-2,2

yes but he said they're the same plastic. I think the answer is, and I think its what was applied above, is that its simply a new run. Innova probably assessed how the Tern TRULY flies and rating it again according in the new run.

yes but he said they're the same plastic. I think the answer is, and I think its what was applied above, is that its simply a new run. Innova probably assessed how the Tern TRULY flies and rating it again according in the new run.

That is what happened. ^that.

This is what I thought as well. Just wanted to know I was thinking right since they are the SAME plastic.

So I assume, and you know what happens when you do that, is that the -4 turn number is the older stamp and the -3 is newer. Can anyone confirm this?

I recently purchased (2) Star Terns and they had different flight numbers
- 12 6 -3 2
- 12 6 -4 2
and YES they are both Star one is NOT a Gstar.

What is up with this?

I am fairly new to the sport and a little confused by this.

What happened is that Innova originally classed the Star Tern as 12, 6, -4, 2 (and my Star Tern says that)... then upon getting feedback and re-evaluation, they changed the numbers to the (IMHO more accurate) 12,6,-3,2 rating.

Innova has also done this with other molds. When experience began showing that Champion plastic is more overstable than Star and GStar, other ratings were changed. The Champion Boss is 13,5,0,3, while the Star Boss remains 13,5,-1,3.

All in all, the numbers are only so much. It's how you throw it and if you like it that matters.

What happened is that Innova originally classed the Star Tern as 12, 6, -4, 2 (and my Star Tern says that)... then upon getting feedback and re-evaluation, they changed the numbers to the (IMHO more accurate) 12,6,-3,2 rating.

I thought it was the other way around. Started the Star Tern at -3 and then went to -4 like the disc golf center info above from curveball4. Mine sure seems closer to -4 then -3. Very flippy.

Hey, I actually throw Terns lol

I know! I wanted you to weigh in on what the newest Star Tern rating is. Did it start out as a -4 and then Innova changed it to -3 or was it the other way around?

The Star Tern ratings were updated in early 2014 to [12|6|-3|2]. This is true for both the Star Tern and the Echo Tern. The GStar Tern was released after the switch, so it only has the one set of numbers. The Champion Tern remains [12|6|-2|2].

I know! I wanted you to weigh in on what the newest Star Tern rating is. Did it start out as a -4 and then Innova changed it to -3 or was it the other way around?

I already told you

I have star terns from two or more years ago with -4

I've only used 1 Star Tern. It's 175g and from the first time I threw it I felt that the -4 HSS was accurate. The 2 champion I have are much "beefier" and accurately reflect the -2 HSS.

Oh, yes. Go to the merchant sites that show the disc you're buying. Example, Marshall has a pink one with -3. The stock star one is -4.

I have an older -4 and a new -3. The -3 has a significantly higher plh than the -4. In fact, it has a higher plh than the production champ and very domey sparkle champ I have. Only my glow champ has a higher plh. I have only thrown it a couple of times just messing around b/c I am only throwing mids and putters this year as an experiment. The flight of the -3 was much more hss than the -4 and seemed to have similar hss to the production champ but a little less fade. But to be fair, the champ does have some age on it.

All I know is star terns are FAF = Finicky As Fü€K

I loved them.....but also hated them. I had a -3 and a -4 both max weight and had to be treated like special snowflakes (80% power 0% OAT and exaggerated hyzer follow through). They produced the highest of highs and lowest of lows. They were the
manic pixie dream girl in my disc golf romantic comedy.