• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Staying in Kure Beach, NC 7/29 - 8/4

discaddict

Bogey Member
I'll be visiting family in kure beach if anyone wants to get a round in. Will be playing Joe Eakes everyday, and I am looking to get a couple rounds in at Castle Hayne. If there is another course within reasonable distance I am willing to listen to suggestions.

There is a course over in Oak Island - Bill Smith Park that's a 9 hole course with A/B tee pads so you can play 9 holes from the A tee box then 9 from the B tee box. It's a tight course, lots of trees but it also has water hazards as well. They made good use of the small amount of land. It's a short ferry ride to Southport then about 5-6 miles away.

Bill Smith is only worth hitting up if you plan a day around Southport (shopping, eating, etc). Castlehayne and Eakes are way more fun IMO.

Checked out the reviews for bill smith, there freakin alligators living on that course. Now that is a hazard I haven't had to contend with.

If you are willing to drive about an hour or so...Richlands-Steed or Northeast Creek are other options.

That said, Castle Hayne is possibly the best NC course east of Charlotte, IMHO.

Bill Smith gets some hate on the reviews, but it's a fun little course if you are in the mood for tight and short...and who doesn't like tight and short? :hfive:

Thank you. I'm here all week. Try the veal.

Tiny little Gator at Bill Smith today -- hovering just off the #7 tee. Cute little guy. As BroDave said, this course is not worth the ferry ride. If you're already over here and have nothing to do -- fine. But don't travel far for it.

I'm hitting Kure for the first time tomorrow (after the obligatory Aquarium visit for the kids). Reviews make it sound like I'll be able to find my way around okay. Bring water, bug spray, etc. Anything else to know?

Joe eakes is what got me hooked on the sport when I was down in february, nice course, very easy to navigate, it is a flat course with no elevation so it is easy to walk, but the heat off the white sand could be brutal. I plan to get a round in early each day to avoid that when I come down.

Wow, cool course at Kure Beach! Great facilities for a brand new course -- well, for any course. Benches, signs, rock-lined paths, etc etc. Playing a new course with blind holes in blazing heat and humidity is less than fun, but I can see where this course would be a lot of fun as your regular course in the fall/winter/spring.

I am in kure and ready for some rounds if anybody wants to meet up until next Thursday. Also planning on at least one round at castle hayne. How busy does this course get on the weekends?

Not too bad, especially during the heat of the day. There will probably be some lines forming at tee 1 after 6 PM though.

Your best bet for the Castle is early morning or late afternoon. It can be a busy course sometimes. My brother and I will be out there a few times this weekend if you want to meet up. Send me a PM if you would like to meet up sometime. We usually play either pretty early in the mornings or after 6pm due to the heat.

Latest posts