• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stoney Creek Metropark

PhattD

Eagle Member
Does anyone know when the first course was put in at Stoney Creek? I was under the impression that there wad a pole course there in the late 70's and that it was the first course in Michigan. I'm just trying to see if I can verify it.

Try contacting John Minicuci of the Motor City Chain Gang.
He has a pretty good handle on the history of courses in Metro Detroit's NE suburbs.
If he doesn't know, he surely knows someone who does.

I only know what's happened since I started playing in 2004:
24 hole course >>> 27 holes >>> 2 x 18's

Last edited:
Stony Creek had an old horseshoe shaped basket course before the current course location. I think that goes back to about 1986, that I first started playing out there. Agree with Bogey though, research should start with Motor City Chain Gang and John.

I've talked to people who played Brewer in G.R. as a pole course in the late '70s. Bill McKenzie had object Frisbee golf at his hallowed grounds I think as early as 1980. I happened to be there the first year baskets were put in (I think it was 1998?) because my parents keep going to lake cottages at Campbell Lake about six miles away. They met there at that lake, so they keep going back. It's my excuse to go and play Flip once a year or so when I drop in...

Oh, and I've heard people talk of Kalamazoo College having an object course that people used to play regularly going back decades (including tombstones as targets in the cemetery across West Main!). Not sure if it's in the '70s or not but I wouldn't be surprised.

Stony Creek had an old horseshoe shaped basket course before the current course location. I think that goes back to about 1986, that I first started playing out there. Agree with Bogey though, research should start with Motor City Chain Gang and John.

I started playing in Michigan in 85. There was a 9 hole loop at Stony Creek. Tees, signs & baskets looked to be pretty worn at that point so I'm thinking that course could've been installed as far back as 1979-80

http://jo1.motorcitychaingang.com/Hub/index.php/mccg-history

Last edited:
Pretty sure it was in the Lakeview Picnic area.
I remember that it was a popular picnic area for bikers so playing on the weekends was a test of your "skill" for sure.

Pretty sure it was in the Lakeview Picnic area.
I remember that it was a popular picnic area for bikers so playing on the weekends was a test of your "skill" for sure.

Yup, you are correct. About the picnic area and the bikers, lol. Though, I was much more in my element around bikers, than many......back in the day.

Latest posts