• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Straddle putt

Straddle putting totally changed my game. Helps me keep my shoulders straight with the basket. For added stability I stand pigeon toed. If I need to add some good distance I just bring my knees in and down and I'm like a giant frog, or spring. I'm a tall lanky guy so it probably looks goofy, but it works.

I switched to almost exclusively using a straddle putt earlier this summer. I was messing around and noticed it was greatly improving my accuracy, gave me a consistent stance on elevated putts, and put less pressure on my front leg, which can't support too much weight without hurting since I injured it. I've even started making 40' jump putts from the same stance!

If I start to lose my grip or it is real windy, I'll switch to a staggered, spin putt from my chest just to keep the disc on the same plane as the basket and prevent any front-rim misses, but that's it.

The straddle can be really useful. I have a primary stance that aims straight to the basket but if footing or obstacles prevent this stance, I'll be fine to switch it up. It's important to practice your secondary stance for those tough lies. My favorite game for this is "All In" developed by Scott Papa. Definitely check that one out if you haven't already!

I used straddle only putting since I first started playing last July. About 6 weeks ago, after noticing that many of the pro players putt with a staggered stance, I decided to try switching to that.

Has made a BIG difference in the power of my putting game for me. For the 30-60 feet putts especially, it really helps me in doing more of a straight line putt, as opposed to more of an up and down putt with the straddle at those distances.

Still use the straddle whenever footing or objects in the way make that an easier shot.

Straddle all the time inside 30-35. If longer it depends on the lie and cover. With no obstruction but limited ceiling I stagger stand. With either any obstruction or more than ~6 ft ceiling I'll go for a jump putt out to about 50. After that everything is a stagger stance.

Like many have said, I have used a Straddle Putt in the past, but found it restricted my comfortable range to about 25'. Went to a foot-forward weight shift and found it easily increased my comfortable distance out to about 40-50'.
I still paractice my straddle for situations that demand it. Lots of wooded courses in NC.

I'm pretty much forced to straddle putt at the moment, if I attempt any sort of back to front weight shift I will not maintain my balance before proceeding past my lie. Good thing I primarily straddle putt anyway, it seems 100% normal.

Lol, right! If you can tell the background and my shirt is mirrored as well, in the first and last clip. I was using my phone with a chip clip as a 'tripod' I guess it makes a difference of the orientation of my phone because some of the clips were uploaded to the computer upside down, when i flipped them in my video editor they came out mirrored. It took me a while to notice it, but it's kind of funny how my bad leg "switches".

I've been playing for 2.5 years and pitch putted for the first two. About 4-5 months ago I switched to spin putting with the weight shift because outside 40 feet the pitch putting was not effective.

I got decent at it but wasn't consistent. There would be days that it felt like I literally forgot how to putt. Yesterday was one of those days and in my frustration I went back to my pitch putting inside 40.

Ching. Ching. Ching. Hear that? That's the sound of my disc hitting the chains on my putts over and over.

So now, I'll stick to pitch putting inside the circle and save my spin putting for distance.

I made a couple of straddle putts around trees today and they were beauts! My straddle putts are definitely getting better. I have stubbornly neglected straddle putts for the majority of my disc golf career so it's great to finally have that shot in my bag when I need it.

The long putts are the ones that get me...

What discs does everyone use for straddle putting? I swear by Magnets for straddle putting inside 40 feet. I do a lot of practicing out to about 30 feet and have gotten pretty good out to that range. The 30-40 feet range has me arching the disc pretty high, but those putts are achievable at that range. Outside of 40 feet, I spin putt with an Ion.

Also, what do you focus on when straddle putting? I always pick out a single again link on the back, right side of the basket.

What discs does everyone use for straddle putting? I swear by Magnets for straddle putting inside 40 feet. I do a lot of practicing out to about 30 feet and have gotten pretty good out to that range. The 30-40 feet range has me arching the disc pretty high, but those putts are achievable at that range. Outside of 40 feet, I spin putt with an Ion.

Also, what do you focus on when straddle putting? I always pick out a single again link on the back, right side of the basket.
I use the same disc for all putts- my Neutron Ion. If it's 60ft or over then I'll reach for my Soft Proton Ion which is lighter (173g) than my main putter (177g).

I focus on the center of the chains. I have found the "pick a single link" mentality to be bogus. It's distracting to try to focus on such a minute target and it can cause tunnel vision as well.

I am o.k. with straddle putts from around the circle. once outside the circle I feel I can not get enough power. I also use the straddle mostly on shots with bad footing, not level ground, around trees.

If you are missing right or left with a straddle put, look if your toes are pointed out. I found pointing my toes in slightly towards the basket helps.

I am o.k. with straddle putts from around the circle. once outside the circle I feel I can not get enough power. I also use the straddle mostly on shots with bad footing, not level ground, around trees.

If you are missing right or left with a straddle put, look if your toes are pointed out. I found pointing my toes in slightly towards the basket helps.

Agreed, I am way more accurate with my toes pointed in.

Slightly pidgeon-toed and straddled for putts inside the circle for me. I switch to staggered for longer distance putts and for any jump putts. I find it extra useful that I straddle inside the circle whenever a putt comes up that must be straddled to have any chance. Before I straddled inside the circle it felt weird to toss my one/two/three straddle putts per round that I was forced to shoot.