• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Straight Driver in-between Destroyer and Teebird

The new VG mold Viking fits the bill. I use one as a night disc, and it is awesoooooooome. But, if you are going off of the arbitrary speed ratings, either the Orc or Beast-X would presumably be what you seek.

Geezus...it's not even a question.

The answer is Orc. Trade/buy for a seasoned version. If you don't like Champ, a seasoned Star Orc is pretty damn nice as well. The PFN versions are the bee's knees.

I guess it depends on your power and throwing style, but I like the;
Escape
Viking
CD-2

I'm surprised I don't hear more about the Viking on this board. One of the straightest drivers I ever thrown and loved it till I lost mine and my buddy's lol. I need to get a new one.

I throw both a C-PD and C-CD2 in this "tweener" slot. If I were to only pick one, it would be the CD2. Really an amazing straight disc that is noticeably longer than my speed 7 fairways. I could probably handle most of my PD shots between Destroyers, Firebirds and 2nd run FD, but the CD2 has opened up some new shots to me.

I'm surprised I don't hear more about the Viking on this board. One of the straightest drivers I ever thrown and loved it till I lost mine and my buddy's lol. I need to get a new one.

Yup, chunky Valkyrie. I lost my VK Champ Viking, couldn't find a replacement, bought a VG on a whim, it is a better mold. If you can find one without obnoxious nose/rim overflash, jump on it.

I'm gonna suggest an S-PD or CD2. The S-PD out of the box will be more stable, but will season into a beautiful spot and fly similar to a fresh CD2 but with better wind resistance. The CD2 brand new are fantastic discs, nice and straight with a soft fade.

I've got the Latitude 64 Culverin in that spot. Great disc. Reliable and straight without being a meat hook.

I throw pearly champ orcs for this spot, and thankfully I have more than a lifetime supply since they haven't been made in that plastic for a long time. The newer champ orcs fly way different, sounds like you have one of those. Beefy OS, low glide, and stiff plastic. If you want a better flying orc, search down a flat, soft run star, a gstar, or an old pearly. Also it seems that 170 and under glide a lot more than heavy ones, unnaturally more.

Icon Phenom - straight, no fade
GL Culverin - straight, reliable fade (I use these in place of PDs now)

Escape is a good option too. Look for a shield stamped fuzion.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

I don't use one personally but if you're looking to throw a quite long straight maybe tunnel or woods shot where your destroyer would hyzer out by far the most popular option is the equivalent of a worn in pro or star wraith maybe 170 that can get some turn by itself. Too meaty when new but they wear in eventually. Barry Schultz specializes in this shot and last they checked with him he was carrying a pro wraith, champ beast, and two pro SLs for this shot. The Z flash is killer for this that would -definitely- be my preference but I just throw my mantis and if it's a little short so be it.