• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Straight (neutral) Drivers

I agree. The faster a disc is, the more fade it'll have at the end of flight. Even flippy things like Nuke SSs and Bolts will hook hard when they slow down.

I still assert that the Heat is the straightest thing I've thrown. Even it has a touch of late fade though.

Even most mids will have at least a slight fade as they slow down.

i only threw the ace race heat

what does the stock run exactly fly like for you and at how far?

My go to straight driver is an Axiom Crave. I also have a fiz volt thats lost 80% of its fade.

"Straight" discs i bag
Anode
Alias
Crave
Volt

Last edited:
imo you cant go past speed 9 and have "no fade"

Generally true. However, a seasoned flat 158 Neutron Wave comes pretty close. The fade is very late and very small, and can be eliminated by not putting much air under the disc.

158 Neutron Wave has an almost-stable vibe at my (low 300s) distance. If I get over on it the disc is not coming back, but thrown clean and slight hyzer it holds the straightest line of any DD I have ever thrown.

Low-160s Plasma Wave, at least the fresh one I tested today, has more dome and flies more of an S-curve.

i only threw the ace race heat

what does the stock run exactly fly like for you and at how far?

I can't really compare it to any other mold. Maybe a Roadrunner or Sidewinder. It isn't ridiculously flippy, but it will turn and burn if you really torque it hard.

I can hyzer flip the Heat about 400' on a pretty straight line. Not a big S curve disc. Very gentle late fade. The Heat isn't a disc that can be manhandled. It simply doesn't respond well to all or nothing rips. It needs a smooth, gentle release.

Its basically a super straight 9 speed driver with massive glide. 6 easily.

Assuming you are throwing full power, how far you can throw is an important piece of info. I use a Gold Line Saint or Undertaker for straight drives. Those above the noodle arm status would likely find these discs flippy when thrown with more speed.

Right now the Mantis and Undertaker are my go to drivers and fly pretty darn straight for me. Of course, the mantis needs a little hyzer flip to get that flight but it's good at locking onto a line IMO. The undertaker can take more power and is my main control driver.

Other discs that are pretty straight (assuming average 330-350' throws) Stalker, FD, dx Teebird, M JLS,

Undertaker came to mind for me. A Pinnacle Patriot or even Champ Leopard can do it too. Fresh heavy Star Beast as well. All those discs are going to have some bite at the end, but can go straight for over 300' pretty easy.

A champion Thunderbird goes really straight. All other plastics for a Thunderbird are freaky stable (maybe not a DX). The MVP AMP is a strange disc. I throw a 175g Plasma AMP from MVP and it goes wicked straight. I throw it at full power and still just goes straight when thrown flat. One of the best discs ever!

My most reliable and straighter shots have been with my Heat Z Flx. Too gummy for my liking but can't complain about the flight. My Thrasher Z Flx is close 2nd.

For fairway driver - Discmania FD, MVP Eclipse AMP, Legacy Rival, Discraft Stalker

For control driver - Discmania S-line CD (slightly worn will be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

For Distance Driver - Disclaimer: NO DISTANCE DRIVER CAN GO STRAIGHT FROM POINT A to POINT B
Discraft Z Thrasher (max weight) , Discmania DDX (heavy or C line), Axiom Mayhem (S shape that can by hyzerflipped for laser straight with fade, great disc), Legacy Outlaw (find the right one and its reliably stable with fade)

I know you didn't ask but for straight midrange: Axiom Alias cannot be beat. I'll preach like its my job, Alias rules.
Then throwing putter - Atom----rules
Slower putter--- Reptilian Disc Golf SERPENT

For straights, (in my book) go
Serpent
Atom
Alias
Amp, TL, FD (either)
CD

then Distance drivers are kinda a toss up depending on conditions and shot etc

Mayhem

Light gummy pinnacle patriot

Finally a patriot reference. The FD, Leo3, and patriot are all similar dead straight fairway drivers in the 325-350' range. I think Patriot responds the best when you give it some juice. My lighter one that's pretty flippy, but holds beautiful lines.

I've heard a couple people reference the Mantis, and I've wanted to try that disc since hearing MJ describes it as a Comet driver.

Finally a patriot reference. The FD, Leo3, and patriot are all similar dead straight fairway drivers in the 325-350' range. I think Patriot responds the best when you give it some juice. My lighter one that's pretty flippy, but holds beautiful lines.

I've heard a couple people reference the Mantis, and I've wanted to try that disc since hearing MJ describes it as a Comet driver.

I really like the Patriot as a disc. It can fly straight but mine are meant to have a long smooth turnover. I can see them as pretty straight for a lot of players. Its a good disc for sure, and probably my favorite understable fairway disc I've used. I beat up a neutron volt and they fly similar, actually the volt is a lil more US than the patriot at this point.