• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strange variations in my disc flight

Frankp2491

Hey guys, so this is about the one month mark since I started playing. Play at a local course called Doc Cramer in south NJ. Safe to say I am addicted playing about 20 ish holes 3-5x a week based on the weather.

I started with a beginner DX set bought a few discs off this forums and have picked up one here and there since. Been managing to play pretty well recently shooting on average between 6-11 above par. I mean for a tightly wooded course I consider that decent But what do I know lol...

Point is my DX discs have taken a beating and i'm a pretty big guy and can throw pretty hard so when I rock the trees the frisbees deff don't like me lol... anyway i'm looking for feedback sometimes I get the valkary DX to fly (RHBH) from left to right back to the middle... other times it flies pin straight and other times it's a hyzer from right to left. Is there a way I can begin to poinpoint why and how i'm doing that so I can try and work different throws into my game....

Without being able to check out your discs in person its impossible for anyone here to say. Maybe your Valkyrie is beat up to the point where sometimes its gonna flip for you. Maybe you're doing something with your form. Hard to say.

I'd say your best options are finding a premium plastic disc to try out, and filming your throws.

The advantage of a premium plastic disc is you can drive it into trees week after week and the flight won't change. If it turns over when it normally goes straight, you'll know it was you and not the disc.

For a beginner playing wooded courses, I'd try to find a good neutral to understable midrange in premium plastic that flies well for you. These are useful for two reasons. For someone learning the game, they'll show you when your form is off. Also, these discs are very versatile. You can hit all the different lines you need by tilting them a little when you release, giving them some hyzer or anhyzer when you drive. Some popular choices for this role would be the Discraft Comet, Axiom Theory, Innova Mako 3, Latitude 64 Fuse and the Dynamic Discs Truth. All of these have slight differences but any could serve you well.

As far as filming your throws, if you can film from behind and from the side, then post them to the form critique and analysis section. There are some very smart guys there (Sidewinder22 comes to mind) that can help point you in the right direction. It might feel weird / embarrassing but its an amazing learning tool. Its easier to learn good habits early on than it is to unlearn bad habits a few months from now!

The Valkyrie is also somewhat nose angle sensitive, especially for a beginner, so it's probably not a good disc to use as a way to figure out what's good and bad with your throw. What you're seeing could be caused by one (or more) of many different things. Putters, mids and speed 5-7 drivers are probably better choices. It's OK to throw the Valk if you like it, just don't read too much into the results of it alone.

That's actually very helpful I didn't realize that the plastic of the disc actually had that huge of an impact I'll record some of my throws. I'm familiar with this because I used to have to do it when I took regular golf lessons. I'll post it there and hopefully get myself going more consistently thank you. So you suggest using slower speed drivers at first to tack down my form vs the valk? I'll go pick up one from dicks by my house

Throwing shorter distances will keep the disc from turning over to the right. Letting the nose come up through the apex will also keep the disc from turning. It's also possible that your wrist is rolling over or under during the throw.

When videoing, set the camera looking directly down your line, or perpendicular to your line.

I forgot that I tried to video myself actually my GF videoed me throwing last weekend when I went to upload them I got an error. Do these videos need to be loaded externally then links placed here? Or can I upload them directly? I know that might be unrelated to this forum but I forgot
To ask a week ago lol

I forgot that I tried to video myself actually my GF videoed me throwing last weekend when I went to upload them I got an error. Do these videos need to be loaded externally then links placed here? Or can I upload them directly? I know that might be unrelated to this forum but I forgot
To ask a week ago lol

upload it externally. If you use youtube then when you post you can click the youtube button and inside the tags place the end of the youtube URL there and it will embed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ6UsY42pyY

The part in bold is what you copy and paste between the youtube tags

upload it externally. If you use youtube then when you post you can click the youtube button and inside the tags place the end of the youtube URL there and it will embed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ6UsY42pyY

The part in bold is what you copy and paste between the youtube tags

Latest posts