• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Kastaplast STÅL - Overstable Fairway Driver

The glow that I have is the least stable, followed by the opaque K1, and the clear K1 is the most overstable. I love how the opaque K1 feel and have been trying to beat one for a few weeks with no change in flight.

I am going to start carrying these 2 and see how they season this year
31206411_10103763063736965_4134801316922785792_n.jpg

can confirm k1 seasoning takes longer than any other plastic on the market

In my experience it never really looks that bad, but does eventually lose some stability. My Rask is now very Destroyer like where it was like a father Spirit to start.

In my experience it never really looks that bad, but does eventually lose some stability. My Rask is now very Destroyer like where it was like a father Spirit to start.

I bag 2 rask, the older really is quite workable now. It will hold flat or an anny for a long ways and absolutely bombs into the wind.

I also have a good cycle of K1 Kaxe and K1 GrymX going. My first run grymX is in an amazing state right now where it will effortlessly hold a turn or works magic on hyzerflip lines. It has a solid two years of primary distance driver use, the rask is going on 3.

Anyone throw any of the 2019 glow Stals? Are they still more domey and less overstable than typical K1 Stals like the glow of the past has been?

Just picked up a White K1 Stal and LOVING this thing! Not a shot I have to throw a lot on my home course, but... it instantly kicked out my Luster Champ Firebird. This is my 4th Kastaplast disc I've purchased and just like everyone else, can't say enough good things about the plastic and craftsmanship of their discs! They are the best. My Stal has a almost FD3 type look and feel to it. Just a hint of some dome, but more towards flatish. Fits in the hand really nicely and the plastic is just gorgeous and feels incredible.

I've only thrown it a few times on the course so far, but it's been exactly what I was looking for from the Firebird. It's not a meat hook, and it doesn't get to ground super fast. It does exactly what you want from a disc like this. I can throw it low and have it skip early, throw it mid height, flat, and it goes out straight for about half of it's flight, then definitely starts to fade back, but always moving forward. Never dumps out hard left like the Firebird. And then it's so perfect for that big high sweeping hyzer shots when the shot presents itself.

Threw it last night on a slightly downhill par 3, 360'. About 7-10mph headwind. Just aimed out right about 20-40' of the basket and gave it a rip and it was soooo perfect! Not a hint of turn, didn't get too high, and carried all the way to the basket, but slammed into a pile of rocks right near the basket at full speed. I thought it was ruined! Got up there, the disc was about 20' farther forward of where I thought it had landed, and instead of being short of the basket, was 10' directly to the right. Still in the rocks. Picked it up to putt thinking it would have a HUGE gash in it, and be useless (after I just bought it) and it only had a small nick/ding in the lip! UNREAL!!!

Then threw it on another hole where you can go straight down the middle with a tricky little soft anhyzer, or soft fading FH. You can also just throw a huge hyzer bomb out to the right and have it come fading back in on the backside around some trees. But it's a much farther shot that way. And same thing as on hole 2! Perfect shot and actually went about 20' farther than I thought it did. Beautiful sweeping hyzer flight path, that pushed forward and then landed like a lawn dart just past the basket on the backside! Sooo beautiful.

Then just for fun threw it after my main tee shot on 18, which is a long par 4 into the wind, and was only like 20' short of my main drive with my main DD! Threw it flat and hard out to the right and it came back nice and under control. This disc is not a long disc, but it's sneaky long compared to what you think it's going to do.

One weird thing about it (and this is probably just because it's so new to me and haven't had a chance to throw it a lot yet), but it looks like it has a glide of around 3 when it's flying. Like it's not going to get there. But in reality, it's more like 4-4.5. It stays a little lower than a normal FW, but somehow just keeps pushing forward WHILE it's fading in the last 1/3 of it's flight. So it goes farther than you think! It's definitely longer than my Luster Champ FB, has more glide and mush easier to throw. The FB is now just a utility disc for shorter super sharp dogleg lefts or rights.

And don't get me wrong, It's still a control FW disc for sure, not for distance. But I just love how it flies with such great control and I already know exactly what it will do on almost any shot. Very confidence inspiring for those sweeping hyzer control shots or into the wind. Really want to pick up a K1 Lots now, as I'm also looking for a slightly longer fairly straight FW, that would be like a step up in distance from my FD2. Straight and far, but with some fade right at the end to make sure it always comes back to the center. I had a Volt at one time and LOVED that thing for that shot, then accidentally left it on the course :doh:

Can't recommend these discs enough! And can't wait to try out and more Kastaplast discs. Just wish they would realize that EVERYONE wants the Mint color ALL the time. Makes NO business sense to make the BEST color only available one time in super limited quantities. I'm 100% confident, if Mint was available all the time, it would out sell ALL the other colors combine in every disc for sure! HUGE missed opportunity from Kastaplast to sell more discs.

So it goes farther than you think! It's definitely longer than my Luster Champ FB, has more glide and mush easier to throw.

No comment on the FB comparison, but my main complaint about my Stal is that it actually has less range than I would expect from a 1.9 rim. I consistently lose 20'+ compared to the Lots. Part of this is also that I can throw a Lots further than I can throw other 1.9 cm discs.

As it is I view the Stal as an OS compliment to a Teebird, not as a compliment to a Lots. (I guess this puts it exactly where a FB is for me.) This isn't a bad thing unless you want to run a 100% Kastaplast bag, which I do.

No comment on the FB comparison, but my main complaint about my Stal is that it actually has less range than I would expect from a 1.9 rim. I consistently lose 20'+ compared to the Lots. Part of this is also that I can throw a Lots further than I can throw other 1.9 cm discs.

As it is I view the Stal as an OS compliment to a Teebird, not as a compliment to a Lots. (I guess this puts it exactly where a FB is for me.) This isn't a bad thing unless you want to run a 100% Kastaplast bag, which I do.

Hmm, I just view it as an OS FW disc. It's literally the same size rim and flight #'s as an FD3 or FB, two of the more popular OS FW discs out there. And I think the Stal is the best of all of the. For my game. It has a bit more glide than either, a touch less fade than either, and is a touch longer than either. So I love it! The Champ Luster FB I have is WAAAAAY to OS, and the FD3 I had a year ago was also pretty nasty, but less OS than the FB. This Stal is perfect.

So most FW discs are ~ 7 speed, give or take 1 speed (so 6-8). But to have a disc be lower glide, super in control and have a pretty good fade, and still be about as long as a staright FW, you usually see those discs around 8/9 speed. The Lots is a high speed FW or slow speed Driver at speed 9. And has a -1 turn and 2 fade. So it's a LONG disc and I would never consider it as a regular FW disc. It's too long. Whereas the Stal is a control FW disc, much in the same vain as the FD3 and FB. So it goes perfectly with other FW discs.

An easy example for a FW bag setup would be something like:

Beat in S line FD for your hyzer flip or roller disc

C Line FD for your straight shooter

FD2 for your straight, under control disc that ALWAYS hooks up at the end and doesn't go too far

FD3 for your wind fighter, super control, hzyer bomb disc

With a setup like that, you'd have all your bases covered. From understable, to stable, to slightly overstable to very overstable.

The Stal is the FD3 in this setup. So for me, it's perfect. More overstable than my FD2, but not as overstable as my luster champ FB :thmbup:

I guess if you only were playing Kastaplast, then yes, you might not get the entire range of FW shots you want, but I'm just talking about how great the disc is. Not does it fit in well with other Kastaplast discs ;)

I dont play as often as I used to and it takes a while to beat discs in. The Stal is holding its overstability quite well. I cannot wait to break one in though.

I know this old, but I know you're still active on the forum...

I'm looking for an OS fairway/control driver that's less beefy with a little higher distance potential than a typical Firebird, but still predictable & trustworthy into any headwind. Since I love K1 plastic, and the Stal has been recommended as a Sexybird substitute, it's at the top of my list.

I currently bag three fairways that I'm happy with...

1. New-ish VIP Underworld for US duty. Takes what feels like ~40° of hyzer to flip it to flat and finish straight. Easy turnovers from less angle, but a bit touchy.

2. New K1 (translucent) Falk that's a little more stable than I expected. I can flip it to flat from a bit of hyzer (~15°), but it fades noticeably when it slows down.

3. Beat Star Firebird that I drug out of a lake. It's my workhorse. I can mash it flat as hard as I can and it just goes straight with a moderate fade. I can turn it a bit into a strong enough headwind, but it always comes back.

[COLOR=var(--text)]I bought a new Star Firebird with the intention of beating it in as a fiture workhorse replacement. (I'm scared to death of losing my beat one because it's green. 😶) Unfortunately, it's just too OS new, and gives up too much distance, to be a good compliment to my beat one. So, for now, it's getting the spike hyzer treatment whenever I do field work.

I've also tried a couple of Champion Thunderbirds in this slot, but (for me) they're glideless turds and beefier than the 0/2 rating. Maybe I just got weird ones...[/COLOR]

Thoughts on the K1 Stal for this slot?

I haven't thrown a Stal produced after 2019 or so other than the 2021 glow stal in my glow bag, so I am not going to have too applicable of an answer. I found most stal to be about as beefy as a Predator and have less glide and less distance. I had a couple (like 2 of the 7 or 8 I have owned) that flew as long as a pred. If it's like all the other drivers in the Kasta line they seem to be flippier every run, so current ones may be just what you are looking for, or you will find them to be much like the low glide thunderbirds which was how I typically felt about the stal.

Latest posts