• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stretching and warming

Geoffro

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I am interested in how much stretching and warming-up you all do prior to throwing a course. I have experienced shoulder soreness during and after playing, and have been trying to establish a routine prior to throwing a course to both stretch and warm muscles in my arm, torso, and legs. I'm 39 now, and believe that age is a factor in needing to do some preparation prior to playing. Any input would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

I'm 43 and have had a few conversations with professional trainers on the subject. There is a lot of debate some still advocate extensive stretching before physical activities. However some were of the opinion that you can stretch too much and it's like stretching a rubber band too far. It will bounce back but it's looser. Your muscles and tendons are part of what hold your joints together, the ones in your body not the ones hidden in he bottom of your cigarette pack :D, and if they are too loose you are much more likely to hyperextend something or to roll and ankle. What was reccomended was to think of it as warming up not stretching. Try to get all of your muscle moving roll your neck roll your torso and if possible play catch with someone for about 15 min before a round. And don't just warm up throwing muscles pay attention to walking, carrying, picking up and just plain being old muscles. Oh and lots of water.

I simply stretch my legs out a little bit and do some open arm trunk twists, but not mush at all. Just enough to loosen up, but nothing that take more than 2 minutes to do. It is just a basic warming up kind of thing. I am 40 and don't believe in over stretching either.

I try to stretch for at least 5-10 minutes before every round, and will usually take upwards of 30 minutes before a tournament. I focus mostly on my hamstrings, inner thighs, shoulders, lower back, forearms, and hands. For most I would think the shoulders and back would be most beneficial. For my shoulders I prefer to stand in a doorway with my arms extended out to my side, leaning into the doorway so that my arms are pushed towards my back a little. For my lower back I lay on the ground flat on my back, and pull each knee into my chest and hold it for a while. After that I stick each leg into the air and slowly move it closer and closer to the ground on the opposite side (right leg moves toward my left side), bending slightly at the knee and holding it with the opposite hand. Then I'll usually stand up and do some trunk twists until I feel loose.

There have been many times where I got a little over-zealous with my stretching to the point that I wore myself out before I even picked up a disc. I try to stretch slowly and only a little bit at a time now...

...and don't forget to get well hydrated before the round, or even before you get to the course if possible.

Edit: one of the reasons I take so long to stretch before tourney rounds is that my stretching time doubles as my meditation / get-mentally-focused / clear-my-head time, which to me is most important before a tourney round.

Last edited:
I'm 41 and feel like I really benefit from my 5-10 minute routine before I play. Everybody is different and certain areas that are important for one person to stretch may be less important for someone else. The most important areas for me to stretch are my calves, hamstrings and back. My brother focusses more on his shoulders and forearms. I guess the point is to know which areas you are most likely to experience discomfort in and make them a priority. For a shoulder warm-up, one of most effective motions for me is to take a bath towel and similate a tennis serve (slow and controlled) with the towel providing the only means of resistance. I also do forward and reverse windmill motions (reverse is similar to swimming backstroke). For hams I do the ole' "grab yer ankles" trying to keep my legs straight as possible. Moderate forward lunges take care of the quads; the knee should not bend forward past the toes. For the calves I put both hands up on a wall (like getting frisked) and alternate taking one leg at a time and stepping back as far as comfortable, straightening the back leg to where the ankle is bent but the foot remains flat on the floor. The front leg should be bent with the knee extending forward towards the wall. One last thing I do is take a long dowell (like a broom stick) and place it behind my neck and across my shoulders while holding it with elbows moderately bent. I try and twist side to side while keeping my lower body and hips still. I have always prescribed to the idea that stretching shouldn't hurt. I stretch as far as I can without experiencing discomfort. As PhattD noted, over-stretching can do more harm than good. Easing into a program and moderation are the keys.

Thanks for the info! I'll keep stretching and warming both muscles and mind - with a specific focus on not doing anything too much. Geoff

Latest posts