• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

switching discs during the winter?

Those that live in warm areas all year...you suck. :wall:

I usually try to have FLX plastic and I change colors from fall colors that are more difficult to find this time of year. My orange discs and favorite dyes usually get put away because I lose discs easily in the leaves.

On the bright side, my winters are usally better than those in the frozen tundra areas. :|

Get a couple Sham Wows and put em in your bag. They take the moisture off and dry quickly. I always swing the disc a couple times and get the bulk off, keeps em dry as long as you always clean your disc and not throw a wet one in the bag. Plus they're cheap and you can get them almost anywhere now. Your game will thank you for not wearing the gloves.

Thank you - I have been using old terry cloth hand towels. I'll give Sham Wows a try.

Wait....you're not Vince Offer trying to land another customer......

I usually just downsize the bag a bit. With potentially slick footing and cold hands, I find it hard to get any real power behind drives, so I pull the fast stuff, as well. Roller disc comes out, too.

Actually, winter is when I had off to the shorter, technical courses...typically throwing putters and mids anyway.

In the east valley of Arizona there is not significant cold, ever. So the only change I make is from the Pro D Challenger to the Soft or Cryztal Flx.
I sympathize with you folks that have to worry about cracking discs in half this time of year. I've seen a pretty brand new CE Firebird shatter during the winter in Michigan, it was a tear jerking moment.

Those that live in warm areas all year...you suck. :wall:

On the bright side, my winters are usally better than those in the frozen tundra areas. :|

Ok, so I will be wearing shorts and a tshirt on the course until Mid December probably. However, it'll be 110 with 100% humidity in the summer. That makes for loooooong games since you stop and drink a bottle of water every hole. At least the courses are wide open during the day.

yea discing down and changing plastics is the best call, i would never actually change molds. (personally id take the xXx and Flow out)

throw more soft/base plastic, with the exception of FLX:::

DX (or any baseline), X/pro etc, FLX, soft (MVP), medium or soft (vibram),

Thank you - I have been using old terry cloth hand towels. I'll give Sham Wows a try.

Wait....you're not Vince Offer trying to land another customer......

No way that guys gotta be dead from a meth overdose or something. Also you'll find that the shammy doesn't hold onto snow like a regular towel since it doesn't have all the protruding fibers.

Also you'll find that the shammy doesn't hold onto snow like a regular towel since it doesn't have all the protruding fibers.

That would be true if it were a real chamois. It's exceedingly fake. Still, you can "skin" the disk with the Shamwow and get results I believe. I say I believe since the closest thing I've seen to snow down here was a guy singing Informer on tv.

I generally use the same discs all year long. That said, I'm more likely to grab a Star or ESP disc over a Champion or Elite Z. And I might put a FLX disc or 2 in the bag to replace the more slippery Z.

I try and make sure I got some DX plastic in my bag. Here in Chicago Winters are usually windy as well. I always carry some Overstable molds to fight the wind if it gets bad enough. Not much change to my Disc selection really..

Informer blahdidyblahdidyblahblah YEAHHHHHHH! here in Upstate NY I use 2 discs, maybe 3, a pink/orange esp comet, a pink flx challenger, and maybe a bright flx drone. come spring time my forms usually super clean from throwing the comet off every tee.

For the winter I try and have a Pro or FLX backup of the discs I use the most. At the very least a Star or ESP backup if my main disc is Champ or Z.

I love to show all the non-Minnesotans this image of what it is like to play disc golf in Minnesota during the winter. Last February I played when the snow was up to the bottom of the basket - it was at a multi-use park and I had just finished cross country skiing and wanted to throw. Definitely a challenge to x-step on the fairway in hip deep snow (unless you are at Blue Ribbon that clears the fairways). So the discs we change to in the winter may be completely different than the discs other regions use. But, better to disc golf in waist deep snow then not throwing at all......

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 16
I love to show all the non-Minnesotans this image of what it is like to play disc golf in Minnesota during the winter. Last February I played when the snow was up to the bottom of the basket - it was at a multi-use park and I had just finished cross country skiing and wanted to throw. Definitely a challenge to x-step on the fairway in hip deep snow (unless you are at Blue Ribbon that clears the fairways). So the discs we change to in the winter may be completely different than the discs other regions use. But, better to disc golf in waist deep snow then not throwing at all......

Quit simply :eek: