• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tacoma To Sacramento and back - 6 day trip

Tacoma_Tom

Par Member
What courses should I stop at on the way down and then on the way back. Looking to get in 1 course per day in Washington, then Oregon, then Cali.

I can vouch for Shady Oaks Park in Orangeville, just a bit outside of Sacramento. 18 hole course with an amazing DG pro shop on the course. Would definitely recommend it!

The Porland, OR area courses are probably going to be the best ones.

Pier Park - Portland, OR
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=55

Horning's Hideout - Meadow Ridge (There are 3 total courses on the property) - North Plains, OR
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3578

Riverbend (Milo McIver) - Estacada, OR
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=416

These 3 courses are all in Oregon and in the general vicinity of Portland. Not sure how long you planed on staying in each area or if you were just driving through. I would try to knock out at least 2 of them if you have the time. Definitely worth it.

I can vouch for Shady Oaks Park in Orangeville, just a bit outside of Sacramento. 18 hole course with an amazing DG pro shop on the course. Would definitely recommend it!

Orangevale (in case your GPS application gets really technical when you're trying to get directions, LOL)
Sunrise DGC is in the same neighborhood (located less than a couple miles away from Shady Oaks in Citrus Heights)

Personally Tommy, I would skip the Portland courses and play Whistler's Bend. You can get to Portland anytime. WB is out in the middle of nowhere.

I would highly recommend Brooktrails in Willits California. It might be a little out of the way, but its a one of my all time top 5 out of the 105 courses I've played. Its play one a ball golf course in the redwoods. Its special, and worth the drive.

Tacoma to Sac & back

Along with previously mentioned Portland area resorts, also worth considering is Blue Lakes which is a real long course.

I also agree with Whistlers Bend, very fun course.

In California, your first stop should be University of OB in Weed, Ca. Chances are you'll have the course to yourself and there are good views of Mt. Shasta. The course is less the 5 minutes off of Hwy 5. Nice forested course that's mostly flat but there are a number of holes that criss-cross over a ravine.

Further south is Black Butte DGC west of Orland. It's rolling hills amidst the oak trees and is also a lightly used course.

In Sac, try Shady Oaks which is extremely crowded and best attempted early early early AM on a weekday to dodge the bulk of the crowds although it's still pretty crowded even then. Nearby is Rocklin DGC which is also quite nice. Shady is shorter but much more technical while Rocklin is medium length with a few open holes and several in some moderately spaced oak woodlands.

Outside of Sac, Tahoe is just 2 hours away and has several excellent courses including Bijou Park (27 holes, mostly flat with plenty of trees), Zephyr Cove (even more trees and quite a bit of elevation), Sierra Colleges (similar to Zephyr), Tahoe Vista (most trees but not quite the elevation change as the others). Not Tahoe proper but Turtle Rock is good (not as hilly but still a lot of trees, fairly long course) and in Reno is Lizard Peak which is a difficult 27 hole course that's mostly open but there are plenty of Juniper Trees to grab your disc or make approach shots difficult, also a lot of elevation.

West of Sac is Skyline Regional Park in Napa (hilly, with oak trees), Golden Gate Park in San Francisco (very nice course with a little elevation and plenty of trees) Stafford Lake in Novato and the legendary DeLavaega in Santa Cruz.

A few others north of Sac but towards the coast are Brooktrails which was previously mentioned in another post (ball golf / disc golf course) Buckingham at Clear Lake (also Ball/Disc Golf) and in Arcata, the Humboldt St course (Redwoods). It's also possible to get permission to play Birds of Paradise along the Avenue of the Giants, I've never played it but have heard it's a very difficult and rugged course. It's private so you would need to contact the owner prior to playing.

Happy Trails!