• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TD Signing up big names without permission

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Is this really happening?
Are TDs allowed to put a players name on the registration list without their permission? I have recently seen some huge names on registrations only to hear they later did not verify and then some locals feel that the NT players are bailing after everyone signs up.
I dont typically side with the big shot touring guys but this seems abusive and wrong to me
Basically its like advertising that Katy Perry is gonna be at your kids sweet 16 party and get the excitement and attendence up and when she doesnt show all the kids say what a bitch. in reality she never knew about it!

Is this ok?

As soon as events become available to preregister I sign up. I pre-pay so often I may have 6 or 7 events shown as upcoming on the PDGA site. Sometimes TDs sign me up when they add their event online. It really frustrates me when I show up to an event and find out I need to pay. This just happened to me on Sunday. I had to go back through my emails to figure it out.

I've seen it as well... I'm not sure if it's the players or TD's behind it. It's probably a case by case type of thing.

This has become common practice it seems in the Midwest for TD's. They add big names to the pre-reg list in order to bolster attendance and/or pre-reg's. I've seen it happen on probably 4 tournaments this season so far. I think the PDGA should start leveling sanctions against the TD when it happens.

I've also seen TD's put a bunch of people on the pre-reg list to make it look like the tourney is filling so people will start sending in their registration too to avoid getting shut out. Shady as hell.

We had a TD a while back who placed players on the pre-reg list as a standard practice who had not actually paid yet. In many cases, the players on the list had at least made a verbal commitment to the TD they planned to play so he added them to the list. Never checked to determine if some of the names were there without any notification from the player they were coming.

I don't get why you would care if X pro is said to be there and doesn't show up as a player in the tournament im pretty sure that gives most any average person a better chance to win lol.

What is "shady" about it really? I don't think the comparison of saying Katy Perry at kids party = ProDGer on tournament sign ups is even remotely the same thing.

allowing players to pre reg and pay day of is a lot different than just putting players down who made no commitment to attend.

I don't get why you would care if X pro is said to be there and doesn't show up as a player in the tournament im pretty sure that gives most any average person a better chance to win lol.

What is "shady" about it really? I don't think the comparison of saying Katy Perry at kids party = ProDGer on tournament sign ups is even remotely the same thing.

Its a big deal if you are trying to establish yourself as a name in the sport and might travel 200-500 miles to play in a tourney and when you show up its a bunch of locals and none of the NTs are there

Innova etc want its sponsored players to beat the elite

aside from that a lot of people do want the chance to play with or watch the bigger names

it matters

Its a big deal if you are trying to establish yourself as a name in the sport and might travel 200-500 miles to play in a tourney and when you show up its a bunch of locals and none of the NTs are there

Innova etc want its sponsored players to beat the elite

it matters

sounds like an issue with how tournaments are set up not TD's really. If innova really cared they would help make a real touring scene a reality lol.

Did not realize this was a problem. I know some tournaments have to hold spots for players that have qualified from winning a previous tournament, points series, etc. but are Ams signing up for tournaments only because tour players will be in attendance for autographs or something?

sounds like an issue with how tournaments are set up not TD's really. If innova really cared they would help make a real touring scene a reality lol.

I have some friends who are innova sponsored pros and its important that they compete against and beat some of the bigger names if they want to maintain sponsorship or move up in the ranks

Ive seen the invitational and the pre-qualifier stuff as well

Although these are not what I was referring to these are misleading when you see 50 names and only 12 actually play

Maybe you're on the fence about playing and having the chance to compete against "xyz top-10 MPO player" is the deciding factor.

Maybe you live an hour or two away and want to go see the top players compete and just spectate, only to get there and find out you were lied to.

It's shady and false advertisement.

my peeve is signing up for an A-Tier in the Masters Division, sometimes 4-5 hours away, getting there and finding out the locals want to jump into the open pool day of, taking with them the added cash, and making the division kind of pathetic. has happened a lot this year. Don't jump the day of an A-Tier when people travel FAR to play in it. I have left home on Friday with 12 in a division only to have 5 when the horn blows to start the round.

And you wonder why some don't want to get involved in the tourney scene.

my peeve is signing up for an A-Tier in the Masters Division, sometimes 4-5 hours away, getting there and finding out the locals want to jump into the open pool day of, taking with them the added cash, and making the division kind of pathetic. has happened a lot this year. Don't jump the day of an A-Tier when people travel FAR to play in it. I have left home on Friday with 12 in a division only to have 5 when the horn blows to start the round.

I've seen TDs set a deadline for division changes. The main motivation for that was to have the cards arranged ahead of time to keep things smoother in the morning. But it also seems like a good solution for this problem.