• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TD Signing up big names without permission

Changing divisions at the last minute and TD's pre reg'ing big name touring players whom they haven't contacted about the event and/or have no real intention of attending are different things.

Switching divisions at the last minute can be a legit attempt to "right-fit" your self into the appropriate level of competition (especially if you pre-reg well in advance and you're on the cusp betweeen divisions), or it can be a smarmy bit of gamesmanship to stack the odds in your favor. To others, the result may be the same, but it's really more a matter of intent. I guess the only way to tell is see if a pattern develops.

But false pre reg of big name players is just plain slimey. I get that sometimes players really do have to back out for reasons beyond the TD's control, but to pre reg big name touring pros who you haven't reached out to or haven't contacted you about attending is false advertising.

If you're a local pro looking to compete against touring pros, and you reg for an event based on the existing names only to find these folks were never really going to attend, I can see how you'd feel screwed. Maybe you'd have elected to play a different event, but now your stuck.

Maybe Ams registered and fans attended just to see the big names. It's completely misleading and underhanded. Let the quality of your event speak for iteself and let people make informed decisions about which tourneys to go to, not misinformed choices based on smoke and mirrors.

Any TD who does this loses credibility in my book.

Really agree here. Jumping divisions can be annoying for everyone, but many are looking to enhance their chance at points for worlds. As an 850 AM over 50 y/o, I have a slew of options. I don't jump, but I can see where those placing great importance on worlds, might.

Completely agree with bogey on the shady nature of name whoring.

:confused:

What in this thread would make you not want to play tournaments??
Not having a lot of confidence in a TD could certainly keep people away. What if you felt all the TDs within 2 hours of your house were doing this? Etc...

I agree you can keep your head down and power through this drama, but I can also see the point of some players that this crap has gotten wearisome.

@jc

That was kind of my point. They probably say that after every event, so as a td you could say that they verbally committed. I'm not saying that's the right thing to do but I see a td using that excuse.

I'm also not saying that the td of the crush on the concho would do that. I was just using that as an example because it was the most pros I had ever seen at an event. (I don't get out much)

Not having a lot of confidence in a TD could certainly keep people away. What if you felt all the TDs within 2 hours of your house were doing this? Etc...

I agree you can keep your head down and power through this drama, but I can also see the point of some players that this crap has gotten wearisome.

BigSky's comment was basically implying that this is a reason to stay away from tournament play altogether.

I agree, this situation may steer someone away from a particular TD's tournaments. But there's no reason to swear off tournament play entirely because a handful of TD's may or may not use this shady practice.

see, there's the problem... when it happens, it redeuces the added cash to that division. so there's a bit of a double penalty. you are forfeiting money to the division you registered in and you are subtracting from the added in the one jump into. Basically, it's there to prevent the practice. The people who would be mad in that scenario are the people in the division you are jumping into... and maybe they won't care, but maybe they will...

My personal favorite was when George Harrison played in the GM division at a well-established tourny in NC years ago. He scored a 999 but was thoughtful enough to be the third person required to fulfill the PDGA-required minimum to have that division offered.

Of course, he had also been dead of a lung cancer for many years at the time.

My personal favorite was when George Harrison played in the GM division at a well-established tourny in NC years ago. He scored a 999 but was thoughtful enough to be the third person required to fulfill the PDGA-required minimum to have that division offered.

Of course, he had also been dead of a lung cancer for many years at the time.

How kind of him to play from the grave so the division could be fielded. Lol