• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee Unusable/ Where To Tee From?

LeewayeDiscGolf

Double Eagle Member
If a tee pad is unusuable for whatever reason, be it damage, water, etc., where is the proper place to tee from? Would you tee off from directly behind the tee box? Off to one side or the other? Use an alternate tee if one was available for the hole? What if the new 'tee' you had to use changed the line of the shot for the better or for worse? Comments, thought, opinions.

It doesn't matter. Everyone in your group will tee from the same spot.

If it's a tourney, the TD makes the decision.

It's all good. It's disc golf.

I've been going through this locally. New sewer pipes are being laid across four holes of the course closest to me. This has been going on for about a month now. Sometimes one or more of the holes were like safari golf. It's been interesting.

Only one of the teepads has been affected though. Early in the project, the teepad for hole #3 was crushed and cracked by being driven over by heavy equipment. Teeing off beside it was most common, but personally I still used it. This lasted about three weeks but then about a week ago, there was this huge hole where the teepad once was. They were pumping water out of it. Ever since then everyone has been teeing off at the edge of the churned earth.

Another local course has a few rubber mat teepads that a lot of people don't trust. I've seen people bust their butt on them so I can understand. Nervous people typically throw from behind the pad at this course 'cause it's pretty tight. I don't have any trouble with them myself.

I just played a new course in Atlanta and one of the tees was inside a temporary fence that held in a group of sheep they were using as weed control on the hillside. We all teed off in the same place, as close as we could get to the original location of the tee outside of their pen.

I just played a new course in Atlanta and one of the tees was inside a temporary fence that held in a group of sheep they were using as weed control on the hillside. We all teed off in the same place, as close as we could get to the original location of the tee outside of their pen.

That's awesome! So they just move the sheep fence around the property instead of using lawnmowers?

As long as everyone tees from the same spot its all good.

At a PDGA sanctioned event, teeing off rules state that you must tee from the provided tee with all supporting points on the tee upon release of the disc. If a natural tee is used (grass/dirt) with flags or a line painted, you can take up to 3 meters straight back.

803.02A: Play shall begin on each hole with the player throwing from within the teeing area. When the
disc is released, at least one of the player's supporting points must be in contact with the
surface of the teeing area, and all the player's supporting points must be within the teeing
area. If a tee pad is provided, all supporting points must be on the pad at the time of
release, unless the director has specified a modified teeing area for safety reasons. If no tee
pad is provided, all supporting points at the time of release must be within an area
encompassed by the front line of the teeing area and two lines perpendicular to and extending
back three meters from each end of the front line. The front line of the teeing area includes the outside edges of the two tee markers. Running up from behind the teeing area
before the disc is released is permitted. Following through in front of the teeing area is
permitted provided there is no supporting point contact outside the teeing area when the disc
is released.

B. Any supporting point contact outside the teeing area at the time of release constitutes a
stance violation and shall be handled in accordance with sections 803.04 F, G and H.

Yeah, or at least all the areas that would be a pain in the arse to mow.

Yep, that's at Perkerson Park. Was on hole 5 the day I saw them. I was like WTF when I first saw them till someone told me what they were doing with them. Nice course btw, some really fun holes. 15 was a bitch though. Took a 7 on that one.

Yep, that's at Perkerson Park. Was on hole 5 the day I saw them. I was like WTF when I first saw them till someone told me what they were doing with them. Nice course btw, some really fun holes. 15 was a bitch though. Took a 7 on that one.

Thats the one. Same tee too. It took us a minute to find the brown colored tee in the dirt. The fence went right over the top of the tee. A fun course for sure though. If Im ever in Atlanta agin i will make time to play it.

I thought that you were allowed to ask the group if you can tee off the side or back of the tee if you find the tee unsafe for play (slick flymat, uneven footing, etc). I thought that if it was decided on by the group then you were allowed to do so. Where's Chuck when you need him.

If a tee pad is unusuable for whatever reason, be it damage, water, etc., where is the proper place to tee from? Would you tee off from directly behind the tee box? Off to one side or the other? Use an alternate tee if one was available for the hole? What if the new 'tee' you had to use changed the line of the shot for the better or for worse? Comments, thought, opinions.

You need to be more specific about the circumstances of play. PDGA sanctioned tournament, unsanctioned event, casual play, etc..

If you're talking about a PDGA event then joegraham has quoted the correct rule below:
At a PDGA sanctioned event, teeing off rules state that you must tee from the provided tee with all supporting points on the tee upon release of the disc. If a natural tee is used (grass/dirt) with flags or a line painted, you can take up to 3 meters straight back.

803.02A: Play shall begin on each hole with the player throwing from within the teeing area. When the disc is released, at least one of the player's supporting points must be in contact with the surface of the teeing area, and all the player's supporting points must be within the teeing area. If a tee pad is provided, all supporting points must be on the pad at the time of release, unless the director has specified a modified teeing area for safety reasons. If no tee pad is provided, all supporting points at the time of release must be within an area encompassed by the front line of the teeing area and two lines perpendicular to and extending back three meters from each end of the front line. The front line of the teeing area includes the outside edges of the two tee markers. Running up from behind the teeing area before the disc is released is permitted. Following through in front of the teeing area is permitted provided there is no supporting point contact outside the teeing area when the disc is released.

B. Any supporting point contact outside the teeing area at the time of release constitutes a stance violation and shall be handled in accordance with sections 803.04 F, G and H.

I thought that you were allowed to ask the group if you can tee off the side or back of the tee if you find the tee unsafe for play (slick flymat, uneven footing, etc). I thought that if it was decided on by the group then you were allowed to do so. Where's Chuck when you need him.

For casual play you can do whatever you want. For sanctioned play the TD should have made sure the tees were adequate, but you still need to follow the PDGA rule quoted above. No one card/group can make a decision to play from a different spot. Even if it's a small division (four or less) and they're all playing on the same card you still shouldn't tee off from a different spot for the sanctity of ratings.

Latest posts