• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Tell your story about lost or found discs

I "lost" a disc, shanking a drive and throwing it up on top of a church roof at a small course in my hometown area. We didn't have a vehicle tall enough to reach the roof at the time, so I took a gamble on leaving it there till I could get back there with some way to access it. I figured, since it had my name and number it would be okay. Well, a week or so later, I get a voicemail from a someone I did not know, with an out of town number, who had retrieved it. He went on to say, I could give him a call if I wanted but that I probably didn't need or want it back anyway. As I was preparing to call him back, I got a text from a friend who was there at the same time. He went on to tell me how this out of towner wasn't even going to call until my friend basically said, I know this guy, and if you don't call I'm just going to take it anyway to return it. I was lucky that my friend was there, or I would never have seen it again. It just goes to show how dishonest some people are. My buddy did end up grabbing it from the guy to give back to me just to be safe.

Indian Rock in Huntington, West Virginia: That's why I lose discs!

The course is heavily wooded and ate two of my discs last week... :\

Playing Waterloo DGC in Oregon and I lose my, at the moment, prized renegade. Not a soul on the course so I look for 30-40min with no luck. I finish the round and decide I want more so I play through seven holes and it takes me back close to where I lost my renegade. Still nobody on the course and I'm playing like crap so I decide to look for the renegade again. Low and behold I found it. Sweet. Realizing I took a gracious drop on the first round I decided to play out the hole from the actual spot I found the disc. Upshot.... poor. Putt, with my favorite putter, even poorer. So poor that I lost the disc. Game over man.

Best find:

Spey-fishing for steelhead half a mile downstream of the Genius hole at Milo McIver and my wading boots hit something slick. I reached in an fished out what looked like a paper plate ciovered in years' worth of slime. threw it on the bank and kept fishing.
On the way out, I took it with me. Threw it in my fishing pack and forgot about it. Drove the one hour drive home.
Week or so later I was emptying out my pack. I took the disc to the sink and gave it a good scrub. Champ Wraith. With a phone number.
Called the number. Guy lived three minutes away. He'd lost it nearly a year earlier.
Came by and got it within minutes.

Second best find:
Lost my favorite old KC Roc in a tight tunnel in fading end-of-day light. Went back 7 days later (middle of winter) and found it right where I'd been lookingthe week before. I must have stepped over it 5 times. But I still have that Roc in my bag.

My friend's sister found a 2008 pumpkin stamp aviar while on a walk in a park (no disc golf course) with her fiance in another state and brought it back home.

It is my go to putter now.

At the PIAS, trading in some used junk for credit. Guy comes in and looks over the racks in a huff. I overhear him tell the clerk that he lost that blue disc he just got from there and they didn't have another one. He's pretty bummed out about it and the clerk says the best they can do is get some in with their next order.

I leave and go to the course to play in the available daylight to test the Amp I just got. On hole 17 as the sun is fading hard, within 20' of the basket on a short, wide open hole is a blue VIP King with a Finnish stamp. Looked practically brand new except for some road rash scarring, still had the PIAS sticker on the back. No ink but I know it's the one that guy was talking about b/c I nearly bought the same disc on a whim a week earlier just b/c of the Finnish stamp (I didn't b/c it's blue and wider than I usually like).

I have no way of contacting this guy and I'm pretty sure the PIAS clerk wouldn't remember him nor care so now I have a King. :|

Found a pink Archon in the woods at Beauty & the Beast in Watertown a couple months back. Sent a text to the owner's number. He eventually responded, and I found out he was from out of state and never played that course. I guess one or more people found it and didn't bother to call.

Long-ish story short, I stuck it in the mail to him in Iowa and never heard back. I hope he got it!

I sold a friend a champ wraith in 2011, last fall I got a text from a guy "orange wraith?". I said "if you mean you found one with my number on it I sold it awhile back to a friend. The friend had it about a week and lost it at Mt Airy in Cincy, OH. Where you find it?" He texts back "In the lake at Bryan park in Richmond, VA." He asks if I wanted him to mail it back and I told him "that disc traveled through space and time to find you, hang it on the wall."

Last edited:
I found a TP Stag on #17 at Hornings, I called the # and dropped it off to a guy in Portland on a St corner within an hour. He had shanked it off #3 I guess a lot worse than he'd thought. Was happy o have it back though. Glad to get it to him.

This is probably my favorite, at my home course in a trash can there was a stack of mostly broken discs from when the parks dept mowed the field that is not in play on most holes. They were mostly beyond repair but I found 3 with minimal damage and numbers. They all got back to their owners within the next day or so. One was a young kid who had been really upset about losing his champ teebird and and an MVP disc that the guy had gotten his first ace with.

I've never gotten back a lost disc, I've not lost many but don't hold much hope. Hopefully they are being thrown and admired by someone.

The only one that really bums me out was my star FB I custom dyed that got stolen as I was watching. That stung.

I once found a Champ Groove in the river near my house (I live about a half block from a course), and the guy was so happy to get it back that he offered me $10. I told him to keep his ten spot, ditch the Groove, and handed him a Pro Leopard. I felt like I did my good deed for the day.

how do u lose a putter???

On a failed approach of course. I've pretty much done the same. Trying to go over a brush patch on the way in and end up short. Spent 45 minutes looking for it and I knew just about right were it is. No dice. Had to continue on as I wanted to finish my round before dark.

Played the course the next day and round the bend on that hole and die laughing. There it is - right where I thought it was - and I could see it from 100' out. No idea how I was so blind the prior day.

The beauty of short holes for disc finders: people will often empty the bag trying for the ace, then miss something when they're picking up, and just leave discs lying there in the open.

Our local 9 hole is almost all 220-280 feet holes, and I've found a brand-new pearly GL Halo, a cool dyed Z Nuke, a BB Roc 3, bottom stamped Aviar, an Ascent, and quite a few other discs. I've been able to return the ones with numbers, but most weren't inked, and when you are the only person on the course, well, score.

Lots easier than disc diving when they are laying there in plain sight, sometimes even in the basket!

I've had a few discs returned - most notably my prototype Daedalus which, in addition to being a prototype has a beautiful G* marble.

My first opportunity to return a disc was quite the moral test... I found a gorgeous Lava King at Tall Firs while searching for a moonshine trespass in some brush. I was happy to be able to return such a nice disc to its rightful owner but the Lava King is the only disc ibe ever even considered buying over retail.. I was definitely jealous. Apparently the owner had lost the disc two weeks earlier at one of the lakewood courses, so someone had borrowed it and brought it up north.

I found a disc in the water while searching for my own and when I returned it to the guy he acted like he had no idea how it got there and there and the only possible way that it could have ended up in the water was that someone else must have found it before me and threw it in the water.

I had a real cool dude call me today saying he found a disc of mine. He told me it was a red star Teebird. I indeed had lost a red star Teebird at Sakuna Pines in Colorado Springs, CO.

Two years ago.

This guy found my disc on a course in North Carolina. He offered to ship it to me for free, which I gladly accepted. This guy has some serious good karma coming his way.

As an aside, I actually lived that Teebird so much that I quit throwing Star Teebirds all together and stuck to champ and DX. I can't wait to see what kind of shape it's in and how much the flight has changed...

Our local course is right at 1 year old. I had not bought any discs in more than 10 years, but I go to show the Noobs how it is done with my X-Clone. Turned that sucker over and left in the tall water foliage on the left side of the 1st Fairway. No dice!
Posted a milk-carton caption on our Facebook page and offer a reward. Month later I get a message and retrieve the Red X-Clone from a group of players on the 5th hole of the course and give a kid a finders fee... Next Day I am playing with a friend and our two sons and on HOLE 5 I try to anhyzer the X-Clone back to the left. This time it goes right and into the rough. LOST!
During the search my buddy finds an F-2 Blizzard Beast at 140g. No ink, no ID. He can't throw it for crap and trades it to me a while later.
Next time my son and I play with the large group they ask to see the Vintage X-Clone. I have to fess up that I lost it on 5 the next day... they tell me not to feel too bad that one of them had lost his trusty Blizzard Beast on that hole in the same area. F-2? Yep. I've got it! So dude gets his disc back 6 months after losing it and now I am down 2 discs.

3 weeks later my buddy and I are playing (kids are in school) and I do my due diligence and walk the now dying foliage where the X-Clone got away and I find it suspended in the middle of a thick bush that surrounded the trunk of the tree Ol Faithful ran upon.

Long Story Short:
Lost X-Clone - found - (reward) Returned - Lost X-Clone - found other disc - Returned other disc - Found X-Clone - Retired all my X-Clones!

Last edited:

Latest posts