• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Test Flight - Speed 9 Drivers from Glide Disc Golf

Nice overhead flight paths from a variety of arms. It also illustrates what is said here a million times, that you don't need the latest speed 13/14 to get good distance for the course.

My wife just got the her longest ever drive with a speed 9 disc, the Escape, 300+ft. And I've been a user of the Sidewinder for years, fantastic disc with some big distance possibilities. Personally, I stick with speed 10 or lower unless it's pretty wide open and pin point accuracy isn't required, then I'll pull out the Shryke.

Unreal. Was watching a 2017 tournament on YouTube with a great card of McBeth, Wysocki, Conrad and Lizotte in the final round. Conrad was throwing a JK Aviar in excess of 300 feet.

Personally I bag discs with speed ratings of 7 - 9 for fairway drivers and distance drivers. I like to stick between 165 -172 gms for weight also. Those ratings will give us non-bombers (don't average 300+ feet off the tee) better distance and control than trying to throw a 12 or 13 rated disc. I'll use an 11 speed pro Wraith or a 10 speed pro Orc in cases where I have to battle a good headwind as they work best for me in that they are little OS. I first started with a 9 speed Valk as my go-to driver but have since shelved it. It's a great disc for super newbs as it generally goes where you throw it with little fade to it, being one of the most stable drivers out there.

Very interesting and good video.

interesting that the Thunderbird turns more for Holly than the guys

I love all my 9-speed disc. . i only have one 12-speed in my bag and that is when i want to skip left

Very interesting and good video.

interesting that the Thunderbird turns more for Holly than the guys

I love all my 9-speed disc. . i only have one 12-speed in my bag and that is when i want to skip left

Holly was throwing light weight discs and she seems to throw on a bit of an annie.

Holly was throwing light weight discs and she seems to throw on a bit of an annie.

forgot about the 150g discs . . . but the 150-class Thunderbird flew very nice, maybe something to try for a noodle arm like me

This is absolutely the best disc comparison video I have ever seen. A ton of good information, intelligent comparison, and the best flight capture I've seen. It took me ten years of playing to swallow my pride and realize I don't need the speed 12/13s, and my game immediately improved.

I'm going to have to hit up Glide next time I'm in Madison.

Great video and good choice of drivers to compare. Speed 9 seems to be in a sweet spot for drivers that anyone can use, whether for utility, control, or distance.

Yeah that was a great video, the best disc comparison I've seen. They toned it back into similar ranges I'm used to throwing at, and it is exactly what I experience. A 300ish flat Firebird throw can be 375' on a Sidewinder or Roadrunner on the right angle.

I really think most players who throw 300-350'ish can get their longest possible throws with something in the Sidewinder or Roadrunner class. I'm not saying don't bag a speed 12 for low ceilings, wind, and for a bit more distance when going more stable as the speed does help compensate, but for overall distance that lower speed disc will glide easier and fade later. Plus you can't fake the throw by torquing it over and hoping it comes back, they are so rewarding to throw clean.

My go to drivers are speed 8, TL3 and TB3. The biggest disc I use is a Beast/Orc combo. I tried the Destroyer route for a couple of years, it's just too big. I have enough control over the beast that I can throw it like a fairway.

Here's a secret for the Sidewinder/Roadrunner crowd. Try using a TL3 in GStar. Gstar discs are less stable than their Star compatriots, and way less stable than the Champ versions. Tunderbird is the same if you want a speed 9 disc. That makes them fly more like the Champ Sidewinder. You get that grippy flexible plastic, with a rim size that is easy to hold and control. I suspect the Zombee in Z Flx and the Saint in Frostline are similar.

I really think most players who throw 300-350'ish can get their longest possible throws with something in the Sidewinder or Roadrunner class.

I'm throwing 330-350ft with a Gstar Tern. For max d purposes, do you think a RR or SW is something I should look into? Thx.

I'm throwing 330-350ft with a Gstar Tern. For max d purposes, do you think a RR or SW is something I should look into? Thx.

The Tern is one of those discs that I see a lot of players get really good reliable shots out of and at long range. I think you would like a RR or SW though, you may not throw it farther than the Tern since those work so well for so many people, but I don't doubt that you'll find you can get a bit more control after some time. Speed 9 discs just don't have as much fade since their rims are smaller, so you can maybe throw some turnover lines that you would be worried about a Tern coming out of, and as well in tailwinds the speed 9 discs can get thrown with height and keep gliding without fading out way early. It won't replace the Tern, especially if you're getting that much distance out of it, but I do think you'll enjoy them. I'd rather throw a high distance shot with a SW than a Tern, those turnover lines just keep gliding past the apex with the SW/RR/Valk class. The pro's can do it with speed 12+ stuff.

I have the arm to throw some fast and fairly overstable discs, but when I added a Thunderbird to my bag it let me throw similar lines but with less fade/skip and with more control/not full power. The speed 9 stuff can't replace high speed stuff or low lines or wind resistance, but there is definitely value in throwing slower discs when you get used to it.

I can likely throw a SW nearly as far as a Destroyer/Sheriff/whatever, just they need more height and if I don't get the angles right it's a much wider flight than a higher speed more stable disc on a hard line drive that I know will flex out of the turn. But those speed 9's are so fun to throw.

^^^ Good stuff, thx! RE: Thunderbird. I used to bag that (last year) for hard fading shots, but surprisingly this year I'm finding I can throw it alot straighter now and get that nice late fade. Money in headwinds as well.

Latest posts