• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The 2014 Memorial Championship

RUMOR (not to be viewed as truth unless proven): Nobody was able to film because the person in charge wanted to Charge for live coverage rights of the tournament. If so it was a VERY stupid idea because now you ended up with no live coverage and no money from it.

RUMOR (not to be viewed as truth unless proven): Nobody was able to film because the person in charge wanted to Charge for live coverage rights of the tournament. If so it was a VERY stupid idea because now you ended up with no live coverage and no money from it.

This doesn't surprise me at all, if true. This is the big question in event coverage right now.. what is the market value (if any) of coverage rights? Given how many high-quality (non-live) recordings were made, and how quickly they were available, I'm not sure live coverage could have in any way been commercially valuable, but what if the 'powers that be' had asked for no hole-by-hole video recordings at all? Would coverage rights have had any value then? I don't know the answer to that.. and I'm not sure if anyone does.. but answering that question imo is important for the future of disc golf video production (especially live).

I'm pretty sure thats the same thing that happened with the vibram open also. something along those lines.

Not buying it because if they value their product (a disc golf tournament) enough to charge for live video coverage, they're going to charge anyone who wanted to record the event and broadcast it. If the tournament has a monetary value, live versus tape delay doesn't change that value.

Since Terry and McFly were allowed to video, edit and upload full round coverage, I have to think the Memorial crew wasn't looking to control or make money off of media coverage.

A story I would buy would be a broadcaster heavily underwritten by a particular disc manufacturer asking for equal cash sponsorship from a tournament's primary sponsor in exchange for playing up the tournament's company over the broadcaster's company for the weekend. And I can see the tournament and its sponsor rebuffing this request, and subsequently the broadcaster deciding to not cover the tournament.

speculation, speculation, speculation........One day I'm sure everyone will know exactly why and whom was to blame for no live coverage. Most people who know "most" if not "all" of the story are not talking about it out of respect to everyone involved.

DGP wanted $ to cover it from the tourney not the tournament have anyone who wanted to film pay them..... :doh:

Discraft or whoever I assume didn't want to pay their ass and we got great footage from the free market.

You're wrong. Please don't go spreading this ****. DGP requested payment FROM the Memorial tournament directors to cover the event. The TD's refused.

DGP wanted $ to cover it from the tourney not the tournament have anyone who wanted to film pay them..... :doh:

Discraft or whoever I assume didn't want to pay their ass and we got great footage from the free market.

Now looking back, video coverage from McFly a few days later is way better than the production value of DGP. Thanks Mr. McFly! I wish that Grip Eq would have made some type of deal with you instead :hfive:

With the advancement of youtube live streams and mobile technology in the next few years DGP is what the old timers would refer to pre text messaging as SOL.

Bottom line is most of us will be able to broadcast from our phones the same quality they brought us "ground breaking" live coverage. Hell I show homes to one of my investors better via live phone stream than they brought us DG coverage. Why the hell would someone pay for a crap product? Don't get me wrong their ideas and intentions were great but really? it was pretty much a failure from the get go given the opportunity which was handed to them. I think they wanted to make it harder than it is. I am pretty sure the DGguy was doing most of that voice over during the round itself lol.

On a different note,

I was surprised to see how similar Drew Gibson's putting technique was to Steve Rico. I thought Rico had one of the more unusual techniques, but seems like he's not alone in that method.

Thought McCray's putting was stellar for the most part.

McBeast how did you say inbounds each round on hole 6? the 233 foot on top of the hill over some trees?

did you try throwing a grenade there? i saw so many ob strokes on that hole but i think you dueced it everytime.

McBeast how did you say inbounds each round on hole 6? the 233 foot on top of the hill over some trees?

did you try throwing a grenade there? i saw so many ob strokes on that hole but i think you dueced it everytime.

Just watched the final round video again and he throws a grenade with what looks like his overstable neon yellow destroyer. It hit just to the left of the basket and sat.

Just watched the final round video again and he throws a grenade with what looks like his overstable neon yellow destroyer. It hit just to the left of the basket and sat.

Watched that shot a few times and can't decipher whether it's a grenade ot a spike hyzer, are you able to see the disc well enough to confirm it is upside down or are you basing your opinion off of the disc flight?

I just threw a hyzer to the left of the basket, pretty simple shot if you're not greedy. I trust a 30 foot putt over a 233 foot spike hyzer

I just threw a hyzer to the left of the basket, pretty simple shot if you're not greedy. I trust a 30 foot putt over a 233 foot spike hyzer

It makes me laugh when you say stuff like this.

Btw, congrats on your win. :thmbup:

Hey Paul, Congrats on the win.
My question is: How did you decide on whether to tee off the pad or off to the side? i heard that the teepads are kinda worn down there at FH. And the rain didn't help i'm sure. You had to think about that considering the knee right?

Now looking back, video coverage from McFly a few days later is way better than the production value of DGP. Thanks Mr. McFly! I wish that Grip Eq would have made some type of deal with you instead :hfive:

My pleasure, goose! I did actually ask Grip if they'd like to sponsor my videos this year, but they passed (along with a bunch of other folks, like Discraft). But, thank goodness for the "Yesses" I got from Innova, Vibram, Disc Golf Center, and Towch! They made Vegas and the Memorial possible.

Hey Paul, Congrats on the win.
My question is: How did you decide on whether to tee off the pad or off to the side? i heard that the teepads are kinda worn down there at FH. And the rain didn't help i'm sure. You had to think about that considering the knee right?

the only holes that had options to throw from the side were the temp holes and luckily no of them were long so the knee never became an issue.