• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The 2014 Memorial Championship

DiscJunkie, you can't become one of the "big guys" without putting in some time in front of the camera and proving that it won't shake you.

I just noticed Barry Schultz isn't at the Memorial this year and after further research it looks like he hasn't been there the past 3 years. Whats up with that?

DiscJunkie, you can't become one of the "big guys" without putting in some time in front of the camera and proving that it won't shake you.

And on the lead card, at least 3/4 have been filmed a lot.

Yeah, couldn't edit my post, but I've definitely heard of Roan, dude's been on a tear since he came on the scene. Russom is new to me though
Russom's best tourney of 2013 may have been the Memorial with none of his 4 rounds under 1000 rating. So he likely feels comfortable on these tracks.

Pesonally, I'd rather see the big guys.
Don't want to watch an inexperienced player freeze up in front of the cameras and shoot a 900-rated round. It's always painful for everyone involved.

And GO Philo!!!!!!!!!!

And on the lead card, at least 3/4 have been filmed a lot.

I think you are correct that it will be a great learning experience for Russom or Becker (I'm not sure which will be on the Lead Card). But like my Dad always said, "You learn more from your failures than your success."

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see the new guy come out and make a strong showing. But I don't think it's likely.
I do wish him a great round, though.

Personally, I love to see great Disc Golf. Watching the familiar play of the "Big Guys" means that I'm going to see some great Disc Golf, with very few mistakes. Reminds me of how far I need to go...

Last edited:
According to the tee times posted the lead card will be Philo, Cale, JohnE, and Becker. But according to the rules the lead card should be philo, johne, cale, and wiggins. based on johne, cale and wiggins having the lowest pdga #s out of everyone that is tied for 2nd.

I think the groupings may be based on their tee times today. Those who started earlier today than others they are tied with may have retained their order. PDGA number is just one option for regrouping tied players after the first round or when pools are merged at Worlds.

Barry got upset at himself the last time he was at the Memorial and made the mistake of punching his metal mini. He broke his hand and in interviews, he's said that his grip strength has never been the same. Scottsdale may have some big bad memories for him.

Barry got upset at himself the last time he was at the Memorial and made the mistake of punching his metal mini. He broke his hand and in interviews, he's said that his grip strength has never been the same. Scottsdale may have some big bad memories for him.

PICTURES/VIDEO OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!!! :D

Kidding aside, thanks for that little tidbit of info. Makes sense, I just found it very odd he hasn't been the past three years. Figured it was a financial thing or like you said he has bad memories there. Thanks Shark!

Just watched Terry's video blogs from Monday and Tuesday. Awesome stuff!

Anyone know why Colglazier is off tour for past 2 weeks?

He's an important part of my "fantasy disc golf" roster - lol

Is Anthony Barela the 13 year old that Hammer was touting recently? 1st in Advanced at GCC and now tied for 1st at The Memorial. That's awesome.

Russom's best tourney of 2013 may have been the Memorial with none of his 4 rounds under 1000 rating. So he likely feels comfortable on these tracks.

Russom is a solid golfer. Played with him often around the Austin area. Primarily sidearm thrower. Very smooth sidearm. Above avg back hand. Plus sidearm. Solid putter. Good dude. Wishing him the best of luck!

Latest posts