• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The 25th Annual Memorial Championship

Feldbeard was being so aggressive telling ricky to "say provisional to the camera" over and over. That would have got under my skin

I don't think he ever said it, and in ball golf atleast you have to verbally declare it. So if he didn't he would have being playing that shot and cost him shots, so I think he was just trying to help.

I wasnt knocking the courses at all, just they way the ratings work at this event and how it points out a problem with them

With all due respect...you know what they say about knockin' it before you try it.

No offense intended but the guy (MJ) has shot a +1100 round. I expect his comment comes from knowing what it takes and comparing to the number of +1100-rated rounds coming out of this one tournament.

Chuck has given a pretty good explanation as to why the top end at Memorial is higher than normal. His explanation and these results show that 1100-rated at different courses are not comparable in terms of difficulty.

I wasnt knocking the courses at all, just they way the ratings work at this event and how it points out a problem with them

Do you think these courses are too easy for a major? At least, too easy for the top pros.

We've been discussing that the courses create a huge deviation of scores, resulting in higher ratings. The amount of OB punishes bad shots, which means the top pros (who don't make as many bad shots) do even better than normal.

I think it sounds like they have the setup to where you need to have good distance to be able to get past the ob, so that makes the scoring seperation rather extreme when it wouldnt be without some of the extra ob.

So it show off the good rounds and the really bad rounds and makes the seperation way bigger than it should be, which makes the rating go higher

maybe everyones just been practicing more. this is obviously the greatest golfing in the history of disc.

So check out the history of best rounds at Fountain and Vista. The SSAs have floated around the same values on each course over several years. But more players have reached elite level and occasionally throw better rounds. It's not ratings inflation. It's not easier courses. It's simply players throwing better scores worthy of 1100+ ratings.

Attachments

• Best rounds Fountain Hills.jpg
    Best rounds Fountain Hills.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Best Scores Vista.jpg
    Best Scores Vista.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 54
Do you think these courses are too easy for a major? At least, too easy for the top pros.
We've been discussing that the courses create a huge deviation of scores, resulting in higher ratings. The amount of OB punishes bad shots, which means the top pros (who don't make as many bad shots) do even better than normal.

Yes these course are way too easy. the #1 concern on every hole is getting your disc to stay in bounds. so it really doesn't matter what line you take as long as it stays where you want. you can throw almost any shot you want to get there and really are not forced to use a wide array of shots. Theres a ton of great courses that are far more challenging that have great weather this time of year.
and who cares about the ratings anyway. look at the scores....I personally don't think a NT should be allowed on a course where a large percentage of players shoot under mid 50s. NT should be on the highest caliber courses and showcasing the best our sport has to offer. a 42 during an NT is freaking stupid to have occur.