• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The anti-"wide-rimmed driver" thread.

mindwind

Bogey Member
Boss, Nuke, Groove, Katana, "Ninja"...I hate these discs.

Today I played a round at my local course and, after the first couple of holes, I caught up with a small group that was playing ahead of me. They were nice guys (all in their 20s), and I hate playing my myself, so when they invited me to join their group I accepted.

Throughout the rest of the round I watched in despair as each one of these guys threw some form of Boss, Nuke, or Katana 250' off the tee, in a tremendously overstable flightpath reminiscent of my brand new Z Predator. Even worse, they were reaching back and throwing as hard as they could, grunting and screaming, and their form off the teepad looked more like a drunk guy slapping his wife.

I hate these wide-rimmed discs. I've been playing disc golf three years now, and I've only witnessed perhaps a half-dozen guys at my home course that were truly capable of generating the amount of armspeed required to throw these discs correctly. Yet everyone seems to have these in their bags! If you are lucky enough to see someone throw a Boss that truly has the armspeed for it, it is a sight to behold. I've seen a Boss go 500'. When I saw it, I didn't say, "Nice drive...", "Wow..." or "Oh, Yeah..." My jaw dropped open and I said, "HOLY SH@#!" :shock:

My point being, if you don't have "HOLY SH@#!" distance, you shouldn't buy a Boss, Nuke, Katana or other speed 13 fat-rimmed driver. The people who have "HOLY SH@#!" distance know it. The people who don't have "HOLY SH@#!" distance......c'mon, man... :) ...I mean, seriously dude... :)... who did you buy that disc for, you or your ego?

The next time you are thinking about buying a Boss, Nuke, Katana, or other speed 13 disc, use the following checklist:

1) Can I palm a pilates ball with one hand?
2) Do my knuckles drag the ground when I'm walking?
3) Can I crush a rock with my bare hand?
4) Have I ever caused a solar eclipse?
5) Am I, or is some part of my body, listed in the Guinness Book of World Records?

:lol:

I join Earl because the wide-rimmed drivers have ruined the game for amateurs. Theyre advertised that it will increase everyones distance, but does nothing but perpetuate bad form, and a terrible mindset that small rimmed discs are for pussies. The fastest disc in my bag now would either be my PD or Predator, and I'm having a much easier and more fun time throwing slower discs with more accuracy than trying to put all my strength behind a wide rimmed disc that has little to no accuracy.

When someone asks me why I dont carry the wide rimmed discs I simply tell them "The Valkyrie holds the world distance record"

I like em...wide rim especially. And I don't throw 500 ft. I throw sidearm, and narrow rim(old tech) discs don't feel as good to me. I know some have to have the lastest-greatest, but that's not all there is to it.

A friend who I play courses with once in a while went out to a field with me and I let him throw the following high-speed wide rim discs: Nuke, Boss, Katana, Halo, Hurricane, Destroyer, Double D. He was really getting them all out there. His discs consisted of OLS, Leopard, Sidewinder, etc. Well, not any more. After throwing my discs he looked at his bag and said he didn't even want to throw any of his discs anymore. We laughed, because he had some good fairway and midrange discs in there.

It sounds like those other players soured you on the Nuke, Boss, etc. Don't blame the discs. You do not need 500 ft of distance to get the obvious benefits of the high speed/wide rim discs. They are simply better discs(advances in design, greater potential).

JHBlader86 said:
I join Earl because the wide-rimmed drivers have ruined the game for amateurs. Theyre advertised that it will increase everyones distance, but does nothing but perpetuate bad form, and a terrible mindset that small rimmed discs are for pussies. The fastest disc in my bag now would either be my PD or Predator, and I'm having a much easier and more fun time throwing slower discs with more accuracy than trying to put all my strength behind a wide rimmed disc that has little to no accuracy.

When someone asks me why I dont carry the wide rimmed discs I simply tell them "The Valkyrie holds the world distance record"

How do they "perpetuate bad form" when they are more difficult to throw than slower, narrow-rimmed discs? I think this is a common mis-perception of those who swear off wide rim discs.

Are you sidewinding?
He loves mega speed discs

Anyway I have thrown Nukes and Katanas and they do not go anywhere near as far for me as an OLF (which I view as a speed 9)

I watched a boob at our course the other day throw a champ boss on a hole that just about anyone else would throw a putter or maybe a mid
He neither parked it nor put himself in a birdie position cause the disc sliced left

If you have the power and arm speed then those discs ARE good
But if you don't then you aren't doing yourself any favors

Use what you can control and have the ability for

No one's first car should be an F1 racer

I'll exclude FH throwers from my ranting...wide-rimmed discs are fine if you are throwing FH for distance. I have small hands, and even with small hands the wide rims do feel nice when I throw FH. On FH throws, the fat rims really sit well inside the webbing between the thumb and forefinger. Lots of people get more snap from a FH throw than a BH throw, and the extra speed required by the wide-rimmed drivers makes good use of strong snap.

But, for lots of amateurs, that FH snap has lots of off-axis torque, too. Those wide-rimmed drivers, because they require more speed, also tend to hide OAT on flicks. Sure, some people can flick that Boss pretty far...now let me see how those same people flick a Comet. :wink:

If, however, you are a BH amateur thrower, that wide-rimmed Boss is not doing you any favors. Sure, you might get it farther than your Teebird...40-50'...which is all right, I guess...so long as the thrower realizes that it was the disc's technology that got him that extra distance. If they don't realize that, they will continue to throw harder and harder, grunting and screaming, to get even more distance. Before long, they are throwing 300'...and they are also dangerously close to blowing out their arm, too.

I stand by my rant. :D Every thrower I've ever seen who can crush it had a buttery, ultra-smooth release. Smooth is far...as your release gets smoother, the distance will come. Unless a given person is an amateur player with no desire to improve in the sport, no one should solely rely on disc technology for distance.

FHthrower said:
JHBlader86 said:

How do they "perpetuate bad form" when they are more difficult to throw than slower, narrow-rimmed discs? I think this is a common mis-perception of those who swear off wide rim discs.

Because they dont teach control and accuracy. These players just run and use all their body motions to get the disc out to a whopping 250ft.

Earl said:
I'll exclude FH throwers from my ranting...wide-rimmed discs are fine if you are throwing FH for distance. I have small hands, and even with small hands the wide rims do feel nice when I throw FH. On FH throws, the fat rims really sit well inside the webbing between the thumb and forefinger. Lots of people get more snap from a FH throw than a BH throw, and the extra speed required by the wide-rimmed drivers makes good use of strong snap.

But, for lots of amateurs, that FH snap has lots of off-axis torque, too. Those wide-rimmed drivers, because they require more speed, also tend to hide OAT on flicks. Sure, some people can flick that Boss pretty far...now let me see how those same people flick a Comet. :wink:

If, however, you are a BH amateur thrower, that wide-rimmed Boss is not doing you any favors. Sure, you might get it farther than your Teebird...40-50'...which is all right, I guess...so long as the thrower realizes that it was the disc's technology that got him that extra distance. If they don't realize that, they will continue to throw harder and harder, grunting and screaming, to get even more distance. Before long, they are throwing 300'...and they are also dangerously close to blowing out their arm, too.

I stand by my rant. :D Every thrower I've ever seen who can crush it had a buttery, ultra-smooth release. Smooth is far...as your release gets smoother, the distance will come. Unless a given person is an amateur player with no desire to improve in the sport, no one should solely rely on disc technology for distance.

Agreed...good points.

JHBlader86 said:
FHthrower said:
JHBlader86 said:

Because they dont teach control and accuracy. These players just run and use all their body motions to get the disc out to a whopping 250ft.

In addition they learn that to throw these discs marginally straight they have to throw with anhyzer and then think that this is the proper way to throw the disc. They'd be much better off with Teebirds, Leopards, Rivers and XLs

JHBlader86 said:
FHthrower said:
JHBlader86 said:

Okay, but this is kinda a double-edged sword. A Nuke or Katana will get you more D even on a somewhat poor throw. But, the flipside to that is they are much less forgiving of form amd release errors. You're gonna know it immediately if you aren't throwing the high speed/WR discs correctly.

As for accuracy, the aforementioned friend who was throwing the Nuke, Boss, Katana, Hurricane, Destroyer for the first time placed all 5 in a circle of about 6 feet a few throws into his session(throwing at a field). Considering the differences in stability and flight pattern of those discs, that was pretty impressive. As for myself, I'm pretty accurate with my forehand, always have been...not particularly long, but accurate.

If they're using a massive run-up and trying to muscle the high speed max D discs, then that is a problem...

Star Shark said:
JHBlader86 said:
FHthrower said:
JHBlader86 said:

In addition they learn that to throw these discs marginally straight they have to throw with anhyzer and then think that this is the proper way to throw the disc. They'd be much better off with Teebirds, Leopards, Rivers and XLs

Well, some of those discs are overstable amd some are understable...

There is a deep creek at my home course that runs along the length of some of the fairways. Because I play nearly every day, I started carrying a long, homemade "grabber", which I made from a ball golf retriever, just in case I need to fish out my disc.

I'm always finding other people's discs in the water. Guess which disc I've found the most often?

Boss!

It's probably good that all these Bosses are going in the water...

ManU said:
Are you sidewinding?
He loves mega speed discs

Anyway I have thrown Nukes and Katanas and they do not go anywhere near as far for me as an OLF (which I view as a speed 9)

I watched a boob at our course the other day throw a champ boss on a hole that just about anyone else would throw a putter or maybe a mid
He neither parked it nor put himself in a birdie position cause the disc sliced left

If you have the power and arm speed then those discs ARE good
But if you don't then you aren't doing yourself any favors

Use what you can control and have the ability for

No one's first car should be an F1 racer

<< Anyway I have thrown Nukes and Katanas and they do not go anywhere near as far for me as an OLF (which I view as a speed 9) >>

^This should not be the case.

Earl said:
There is a deep creek at my home course that runs along the length of some of the fairways. Because I play nearly every day, I started carrying a long, homemade "grabber", which I made from a ball golf retriever, just in case I need to fish out my disc.

I'm always finding other people's discs in the water. Guess which disc I've found the most often?

Boss!

LOL, I would have though Katana over Boss(it needs much more room)...maybe more Bosses have been sold.

FHthrower said:
Earl said:

Boss!

LOL, I would have though Katana over Boss(it needs much more room)...maybe more Bosses have been sold.
The creek runs along the left of the fairways...I'll bet it's that big skip/fade they weren't expecting when they threw it!
:lol:

i know i dont have to arm speed or the hands for a boss, katana, ect.. that is why the fastest disc i have for the a BH throw is a wraith and i really dont have the arm speed for it but i can get it to fly straight and then flip over and fade back and they are around 40-60 ft futher than my teebird.

but i agree with the most that has been said there is really no reason for people to be throwing a WR driver there is a guy in our area that throws well over 500ft and the fastest disc he has is a wraith and that is only on holes that he has alot of room to let the disc work but most of the time he is throwing firebirds and he can get a new 11xFB to flip flat

A Champ Boss once ran over my dog. Didn't even stop. Stupid, wide rimmed drivers.

RIP Puddles.

BrotherDave said:
A Champ Boss once ran over my dog. Didn't even stop. Stupid, wide rimmed drivers.

RIP Puddles.

A Champ Boss murdered my mother, and raped my father.

Now everyone knows the truth as to why I really hate wide rimmed drivers.

I've seen people relatively new to the sport throw wide rimmed drivers accurately. The problem is, they don't learn anything but that one shot. They learn to throw it flat (or more commonly they try to throw flat, and think they are, but are actually throwing with a lot of anhyzer) with a big fade and skip. It is, to them, predictable and accurate.

The problem is, they can't throw any other disc with the same style. Fairway drivers, mids, and putters alike. So they end up using the wide rimmed drives for everything except for putting because, as far as they know, wide rimmed drivers are the only discs they can throw consistenty.

They are a crutch. Instant gratification in distance, but they do not allow room for you to learn to throw properly.

And on that note, I can't throw wide rimmed drivers any further than I can regular winged drivers. My longest disc is my wraith (which is the widest wing I consider to not be a wide winged driver). I've thrown Destroyers and Bosses, and have only thrown as far, but much less consistently and with much less accuracy.