• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

Michael - you were some pretty sick dyes on the course - I especially like the collared ones for tourney wear - do you dye your own shirts or are they store bought?

pretty much all the dye jobs i wear i did myself! I need to do some more again sometime soon. I'm glad people like them! I only wear them for big events for the fans most the time now, but i do like them

Last edited:
Greetings Michael,

I wonder why I never bump into you in Denver? :confused:

There have been many "elevation" threads, but no real consensus. Do you make any adjustments when playing at higher elevations? Is 5000ft high enough to make a difference? Am I too high for good control?

I grew up in Charlotte, NC, but only go back when somebody dies, so I don't take discs.

Peace.

considering i live in denver, nc i know why we dont run in to each other :D

but thats besides the point! Playing at high elevation i havent done that much, but it definitely makes a difference what you throw. When i have been in high altitudes i didnt end up using any of my stable drivers, i used less stable ones. Wish i could help you out on this more, but i just dont have much first hand experience. I can give you hearsay and speculation, but i dont think thats a good idea

Which of these will yield better results in improving your game? You can only pick one.

1. Playing tougher courses
2. Playing tougher opponents

to me i would say tougher courses, cause i'm not really playing the competition, I'm playing the course and myself trying do to the best i can. Hopefully my best is good enough, but if not good job to whoever beat me.

Thanks so much MJ for spending some of your holiday time answering questions and enlightening us with your knowledge. You are a true ambassador for disc golf and you proved it once again with your time. It's no secret that you have fans all across the states. Your humble and approachable personality is just what our sport needs. I hope to be able to shake your hand someday.

I forget if it was Bradford or Nevin but I would assume that -17 was a course record. What other feats are you most proud of? I hope this wasn't asked earlier.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

MJ, just curious what the deal is with taping up fingers of the throwing hand before a round? I dont know if you do it, but it seems like a fair number of pros seem to -- is it for grip, or preventing injuries, or something like that? How do you figure out which fingers to tape, if one is going to experiment with it? Thanks for any of your thoughts on this!

pretty much all the dye jobs i wear i did myself! I need to do some more again sometime soon. I'm glad people like them! I only wear them for big events for the fans most the time now, but i do like them

How many people would buy an MJ dyed collar shirt? :thmbup:

mj would you sharpie my chest if i played the greater nc area this year.

Also what grip is best to start out with a comet. I have a nice gummy cfr z comet but it does me no good cant figure out how to hold this sucker. Whats the best starter plastic for a comet.

Last edited:
Thanks so much MJ for spending some of your holiday time answering questions and enlightening us with your knowledge. You are a true ambassador for disc golf and you proved it once again with your time. It's no secret that you have fans all across the states. Your humble and approachable personality is just what our sport needs. I hope to be able to shake your hand someday.

I forget if it was Bradford or Nevin but I would assume that -17 was a course record. What other feats are you most proud of? I hope this wasn't asked earlier.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

it was bradford where the 17 down was. A couple other fun ones were shooting a 37 at timmons park in greenville, sc trying to make up a 10 shot deficit for the win in the last round!! Came close, but lost by 1 to Mel Shuman that year!
Also at the Raliegh Disc Golf Champs one year scheb goes out first round and shots a 17 down at the layout we played at buckhorn that year and is up on me by 7, next round we go to kentood and i shhot a 17 down there to tie him for the lead at that point. That round i used my purple esp banger on 16 tee shots, schweb still doesnt like it when i pull that disc out of my bag to throw!! :)

those are couple fun ones

MJ, just curious what the deal is with taping up fingers of the throwing hand before a round? I dont know if you do it, but it seems like a fair number of pros seem to -- is it for grip, or preventing injuries, or something like that? How do you figure out which fingers to tape, if one is going to experiment with it? Thanks for any of your thoughts on this!

i dont tape my fingers. Most of the guys that do, tape them to prevent injury or to help the disc not catch on a particular finger.

Most tape one of the fingers where it hits the inside rim of the disc when they grip. Hope that helps out some

mj would you sharpie my chest if i played the greater nc area this year.

Also what grip is best to start out with a comet. I have a nice gummy cfr z comet but it does me no good cant figure out how to hold this sucker. Whats the best starter plastic for a comet.

Z or X are fine either way to start out with. I use a fan grip, but when throwing mids most people bury the disc into the palm and meat of their hand. You want to be able to slide a finger in between the disc and your palm. the disc should only be touching your hand up by your index and maybe your middle finger. This will allow for a cleaner and also earlier release, you dont want to release late and way past your body

MJ- we're under a blizzard warning right now. 9-12 in of snow expected.
What were the worst conditions you have ever had to play in?

never anything like that in tourney!! I have had to play in like 35 degree weather with 20 mph wind and absolutely pouring buckets before!!!! The type of rain that all you do is set your umbrella down and your soaked to the bone, so you give up on using it!! That day was not much fun. I have played in an ice storm for the shear fun of it once before, not my best decision ever :)