• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The backhand throw, step by step

Kevdude82

Par Member
I've really been trying to break down the backhand throw and work on every single aspect of the throw individually, but I don't fully understand the proper sequence of every element in order from A to Z. The one thing I have the most confusion with is the timing of the initiation of the forward motion coming out of the reachback and the planting of the front leg. Does the forward motion of the throw start before the front leg contacts the ground, at the same time, or after? I've watched lots of videos, read a lot on here, but still seem a bit confused with the timing of everything. It would make more sense to me I suppose if it was broken down step by step. Any help is much appreciated!

Forward motion of the disc towards the right pec from the top of the back-swing is initiated by the heel going down. Toe down, heel down. Crush the can.

After "crush the can" the hips move then the arm right? Would love to see you (hubs)put a video together about "a-z timing of a drive

There is no "a-z" of timing. It's just the sequence. Weight shifts and momentum goes from ground up. Its like releasing the string of a loaded bow and arrow. See door frame drill.

Have you watched a clinic on youtube or just vids of people throwing discs? They do a good job of breaking it down for a lot of different techniques in clinic vids. Without them and this forum I'd be 50% the player I am maybe. I'm not anything spectacular but next to my friends my skill level skyrocketed cuz of those clinic vids.

Here's one I remember watching when learning to drive better and I actually learned something rewatching it, I'm turning my head to far back when going full power and losing accuracy.

I didn't watch all of it so don't know how in depth it goes but I gotta go cook food so no time. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCs5u9ecVis

Just want to add: make sure you don't lose the "smooth." Some players get focused on the steps, and then they put too much effort into the reachback, or the hip turn, or some other "a-z step" that they thought needed more emphasis. The point is to transfer that motion and generated power to the disc, and when that happens right, it tends to look smooth (experts, feel free to correct me). Some pros look "herky jerky," but the big arms and most consistent players look smooth to me.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone! I watch a lot of clinics and videos of the pros throwing. I like the vids that put the throws in slow motion. It helps me to be able to see exactly what is going on. I guess I just have a hard time applying what I learn and observe to my own throw.
Keeping my throwing mechanics smooth is something I struggle with. I also have bad issues with strong arming and alligator arming. I'll get there someday! Just gonna keep on practicing!

I haven't been playing that long myself, just over a year and a half I think, and I'm learning the hard way to slow down and focus on being smooth. I'm a strong guy, played baseball, football, and always wanted to throw the discs hard to get them to go far. What I was missing was the smoothness. If I'm focused and thinking about it, I typically have a 3 step x step and its really slow, almost feels too slow. But when I do that, I get the distance and accuracy easier than doing some huge 10 step run up cartwheel type deal.