• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The best post you will ever read on DGR

I called Blake this morning at we are looking at scheduling a visit to my house hopefully in October. I haven't seen Blake in about 7 years but I always enjoy his company and we're just a couple of old bachelors that can sit around and argue about throwing Frisbees

I remember reading this thread the first time.
My personal view hasn't changed much.

Too often, on DGCR, someone starts a thread and wants to get better at...putting...driving...upshots...whatever. And a succession of folks start telling the OP little "magic" tricks that will make them great at whatever.
They'll say something like: If you want to putt great, focus on a link!, or, don't focus-just putt!, or, go to your happy place!, or, visualize!, or whatever.
And I'm thinking: "How about just spend a few hours/days/months actually practicing? Think that might help?"

About 4 years ago, I had reached a plateau in my game, and I knew that I would not get better until I got my throw fundamentally sound.
Couldn't really understand a lot of the conversations and debates and lessons that I read.
But I could read and throw, and film and submit to the Technique forum, and then throw some more, and film some more and throw some more and read some more. Over time, a lot of it started making sense.
Now, four years later, I understand a lot more than I did, and still have quite a ways to go.
SO...I read and throw and film and try to get better the old fashioned way - I work at it.
There is still no substitute for hard work.

Another point I want to stress is: You learn by doing.
Blake and Brad and Heavy and SW22 (I think) all make this point.
As you get out and work on things, you will get familiar with your throw.
You learn how things "feel".

I remember learning to pivot toe-to-heel.
It was very awkward at first, but I kept at it, then gradually I started to "feel" the weight transfer.
All-of-a-sudden, the light bulb popped on and I understood why it makes such a difference.
I now understood all that emphasis about weight transfer and energy transfer.

Again, my point is that you have to get out there and keep at it and learn by doing.

I remember during a commentary by SimonL.
Someone asked him how he did a certain throw.
His response was something like: "After a million throws, you can just feel it!"

Crazy that this thread came up. The last month I've really got back into the game after a couple year new dad hiatus. I was getting pretty frustrated because I just wasn't finding my stroke and just not progressing towards where I was when I went on hiatus.

So, I pulled up the License to Drive article and have decided to just focus on building off that, like I did when I first caught the bug. I picked up a ton of cool tips and tweaks here and elsewhere but I just need to focus on the basics and simplicity.

Also re-reading Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect for the umpteenth time.

Very fair points by Blake. I think it does beg the question though, can or should we then be telling people in form requests that they aren't yet athletic enough for a form review beyond the basics?

I'm not saying that's what you're advocating - but I think there's potentially a point where you say, "spend 6 months working on the basics" and bring that to the table.

I threw daily fieldwork for nearly a year before coming to the forum with video. It was still a brutal couple months of daily work from that point, but I also was at least somewhat aware of what was going on.

We do tend to get side-tracked with the tiny details, I think often with the anticipation that some magic trick will unlock a hidden 50-100' extra feet. I play with the motions of my throw every time I throw fieldwork. Wrists, grips, nose angles... it's amazing what I learn just by dumb luck, which I then realize is something that I've read but never understood.

Long ramble to say, I wish I could be around here more often - I'm interviewing for new job, it's been extremely stressful and even though I got the offer, it's lower than I hoped and now I'm negotiating my future via email. Fuuuuuuun.

I'll match that offer and you can follow me around the course to critique my garbage form.

It will keep you employed for decades...

Congrats on the new dad thing!!

Thanks! The twins are 2 and a half now and their little sister just turned 1 in August. Finally have adjusted enough to the chaos that me and my wife are finally making some time for ourselves.

Latest posts