• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Degradation of a Disc

mcgrunt42

Bogey Member
Is there a basic rule of thumb of how long a disc lasts, breaks in , and or starts changing its flight pattern from brand new never thrown disc.

my gateway ss magic's ive owned for about 3 to 4 weeks but there was quite a bit of playing time in there and there already becoming less stable. They flew extremely straight when i first got them on just about any type of release and held that line. Now if i throw them flat , they have more High speed turn and maybe a tad more fade. If i throw them with a slight hyzer, they fly extremely straight with little to no fade. If they already seem to be changing this quickly how long before i will not be able to drive with them as much as i'd like to?

There are too many variables for there to be a "rule."

Heat, cold, playing surface, plastic type, type of objects struck, speed at which disc hits objects...it all depends.

The more "premium" of a plastic it is the longer it tends to hold its intended flight. I know MVPs lineup is pretty impermeable to damage, Same as most star/esp.

Putters will always break in faster because they're made to be much softer to grab chains, and rubbers tend to dry out more in sunlight.

The more "premium" of a plastic it is the longer it tends to hold its intended flight. I know MVPs lineup is pretty impermeable to damage, Same as most star/esp.

Putters will always break in faster because they're made to be much softer to grab chains, and rubbers tend to dry out more in sunlight.

A driver in the same plastic would break in quite a bit quicker than a putter would. I have a DX Aviar that I have been using for about a year and it is warped and shows signs of how worn it is, but it is still a straight flier. A driver in the same condition would be a turnover machine by now.

There are too many variables for there to be a "rule."

Heat, cold, playing surface, plastic type, type of objects struck, speed at which disc hits objects...it all depends.

Big Sky's correct in that there are a ton of variables (including those he mentioned), so it'd be virtually impossible to quantify, but there are some guidelines which seem to hold true.

More premium plastics take longer to break in, but stay at the "sweet spot" longer.
Base line plastics tend to break in quicker, but lose their sweet spot quicker.
The geater the use and (perhaps more importantly) abuse, the faster a disc will change flight characteristics.

I disagree with this statement.

Comparing drivers and putters made of the same plastic, I think drivers usually break in faster (i.e. fewer throws - not necessarily # of rounds or days and weeks). This has more to do with the way the discs are used, rather than the type of disc. Drivers are thrown faster, hit more trees (and hit them harder), get tomawked, hit more asphalt on courses where OB roads can come into play, etc. and typically just take more abuse per throw than putters. Putters actually may get more use, but are typically thrown slower, hit fewer trees (and don't hit as hard when they do hit), so they evolve less per throw. However, since they're used on virtually every hole, that helps make up for their relatively gentle use compared to drivers.

It's not uncommon to see an experienced or pro player's bag with many drivers in premium plastics specifically because the those plastics age slower and can take punishment better than baseline plastics, and consistency is what pros and top ams covet most - they want to know that disc will perform the same way every time, because that's what they're counting on.

Likewise, you'll find duplicate baseline putters in many top players bags, because they like them to break into a certain point, but since putters don't take that much abuse, they would take too long to break in if they were premium. Once they are well seasoned, as some on pointed out, they tend to stay there for a while because they aren't getting pounded as much, and if they're twins, they're sharing the load, and therefore aging even slower.

Don't get me wrong - many top players love certain drivers in baseline (Leopards and Tee Birds come to mind) and some folks love premium putters, and people certainly have preferences for certain molds in certain plastics, but as a rule, I'll stand behind what I said above.

Last edited:
My baseline putter is prob close to 10yrs old and i know others with older.
I cant imagine retiring something after only a month.

3-4 weeks seems too short for them to be getting all squirrely on you - but I don't know what they've been through.

You sure its not just that you're getting used to throwing from further out, which means throwing them farther and harder than before, hence giving them the necessary speed as well as a longer flight to exhibit turn, whereas you might have only been using them from shorter distances before?

Just trying to help you find some answers...

3-4 weeks seems too short for them to be getting all squirrely on you - but I don't know what they've been through.

You sure its not just that you're getting used to throwing from further out, which means throwing them farther and harder than before, hence giving them the necessary speed as well as a longer flight to exhibit turn, whereas you might have only been using them from shorter distances before?

Just trying to help you find some answers...

Well, he did say they were Magics, which are fairly understable putters. I'm going with what jcassidy said, rapid break in with a long time at that sweet spot.

They probably had flashing on them that got worn off and/or you are getting more confident with the mold and throwing them differently now subconsciously.

Magics are supposed to be understable. Most of them have flashing on the bottom of the rim that wears off quickly, but they are slightly more stable before that. You probably won't notice them changing much now.

Also, Magics don't have a bead so any damage to the bottom of the wing will cause the flight to change relatively quickly compared to beaded putters. IIRC, this relatively quick wear pattern is one of the reasons the bead was initially added.

The break in period of putters is an interesting thing, b/c you want the flight of a putter to be something you can count on again and again. The fact is that they do get beat up and start losing stability. Magics are understable to begin with, as mentioned, so that they are squirrely after an initial break in period shouldn't be surprising.

It's worth noting that it's nearly impossible to even compare your wear experience with the SS Magics that I have, b/c Gateway's plastic changes so drastically. My SS's are pretty firm, but I've held other SS's that are very soft by comparison. It's kinda hard to compare apples to apples b/c even though they make apples one run, another run will be grapefruits and the next tangerines and then pomegranates. All sorta roundish fruits, but all very different.

I personally don't like floppy putters, but in my experience softer putters absorb chain impacts better and take less damage from hitting the basket. It's easy to underestimate the amount of wear that you expect to see on a putter, b/c you usually don't throw them as hard or hit as many unintended objects with them. But baskets are harder on discs than you might think, especially base plastic, make no mistake about it.

FWIW, I've got an Ion that has one little chink in the overmold after close to 2 years. It seems pretty indestructible. I've also got some classic Judges that started getting chunks and gouges on day 1, so it's all relative.

Latest posts