• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice detail MartyK, looks great on the blue champ.

This one was fun 'cuz I got to listen to PFunk all night, of course there's gonna be some mistakes... :cool:

pfunksDSC_9301.jpg

love it dude.. the work you guys do blows my mind errday :thmbup:

what sort of mixtures are people painting with? i experimented with rit+acetone and rit+water and other stuff, but never really got good results/consistencies. i did get some really vibrant reds one time, but i forget the mixture and havent experimented since. I think part of it might have to do with me getting bad rit and not knowing it, but i threw away the boxes.

what sort of mixtures are people painting with? i experimented with rit+acetone and rit+water and other stuff, but never really got good results/consistencies. i did get some really vibrant reds one time, but i forget the mixture and havent experimented since. I think part of it might have to do with me getting bad rit and not knowing it, but i threw away the boxes.

I quit painting once i tried the pot method. You get much better color with more control on darkness

I got three I've done in my dyeing career and one hippiedude did for me at the kazoo ( we need that store back bro) as soon as I figure out how to post them ill put em up

Weaktit, don't be embarrassed, it's a lesson learned! Get a thermometer... 130-140 is ideal! Other than that one small detail I think you were off to a good start!

Weaktit, don't be embarrassed, it's a lesson learned! Get a thermometer... 130-140 is ideal! Other than that one small detail I think you were off to a good start!

Thanks for the kind words Dan. I would love to produce some stuff comparable to what you've done but i see it's gonna take some time to achieve (if ever). I've been stocking up on images and this kind of failure has motivated me a little more. I've got a thermometer and it's nice to have hard numbers to work with instead of "barely steaming" or "hot to the touch". Thx

This is embarrassing but.....
I spent far to much time cutting this on ConTact brand shelving paper and I lost. I think I let it get too hot but that wasn't the only failure. It's about what i expected before I dipped it.

At least you had the balls to post it. My first sc marbling attempt was so bad, I never posted it. :)

A few for a buddy, don't give me grief about, "oh that trademarked or copywritten." It's a dye not a stamp, easy to spot the differences.

Attachments

• 100_0263.jpg
    100_0263.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_0266.jpg
    100_0266.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_0258.jpg
    100_0258.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 120
My limited experience with the painting technique has yielded acceptable results by mixing powder rit (about a teaspoon) with enough acetone to make a strong 'watercolor' dye. The rit has to be the old stuff though, or the color is not right. And its better to work from lightest to darkest. The intensity of the color can be tweaked by adjusting the acetone/powder mix. Also.. the powder does not completely dissolve so you can adjust color by dipping your brush in the 'liquid' or dragging it through the 'sediment'.
hope this helps... still a noob here, but completely addicted

My limited experience with the painting technique has yielded acceptable results by mixing powder rit (about a teaspoon) with enough acetone to make a strong 'watercolor' dye. The rit has to be the old stuff though, or the color is not right. And its better to work from lightest to darkest. The intensity of the color can be tweaked by adjusting the acetone/powder mix. Also.. the powder does not completely dissolve so you can adjust color by dipping your brush in the 'liquid' or dragging it through the 'sediment'.
hope this helps... still a noob here, but completely addicted

I tried this, and the acetone ate through my vinyl in about 5 seconds. If you're using a mask, I'd test your vinyl first with this mixture, ruined a nice Beast in a matter of seconds.

I tried this, and the acetone ate through my vinyl in about 5 seconds. If you're using a mask, I'd test your vinyl first with this mixture, ruined a nice Beast in a matter of seconds.

Ouch! sorry to hear that. I have not tried the acetone/powder brushed on until after my initial dip and only after the vinyl has been removed. I mask areas that I dont want to spill or splatter on with painters tape while I paint on my acetone mix. I have not 'painted' acetone dye up to the edge of the painters tape, but I would imagine that acetone would probably eat through any type of adhesive/and or vinyls.

im not gonna be using a stencil, i have experience with watercolors and i plan to use it like those

Status
Not open for further replies.