• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Groove is a perfect disc

Haters can hate all they want but the echo star grooves were extremely long and flew true to the numbers.

I wouldn't go out and buy a gstar groove but if somebody had one sitting around I'd give it a few tosses.

I am not an advocate of the Groove. I actually can't ever remember throwing one. But, I think it's funny how much flak that mold gets on this site. Especially when you could easily substitute Destroyer for Groove in the quote below and not skip a beat.

Of course, if you said that, there would be an angry mob with pitchforks looking for you. Because, for whatever reason, people go coco for coco-puffs over Destroyers... I guess its ok for a Destroyer to be inconsistent because it has a cool name?

The issue is that some Grooves are overstable, some are flippy, some have glide, some drop like a brick, etc.

I am not an advocate of the Groove. I actually can't ever remember throwing one. But, I think it's funny how much flak that mold gets on this site. Especially when you could easily substitute Destroyer for Groove in the quote below and not skip a beat.

Or Wraith. Or Beast. Or Shryke. Or almost everything from every manufacturer over speed 10. As anyone with experience and an ounce of critical thinking ability knows.

I actually love the Groove... but I launched a Groove Sux campaign to make all of you hate it so I could hoard them all for myself. Seems to have worked out pretty well for me. I have a lifetime supply of Grooviness.

Being only available in Champion hurts it too. The two I threw may as well been Apes or Nuke OS. If it did come in the softer plastics, if my get more love, especially beat ones.

Going back to the original scripture, the problem is not merely inconsistency. That issue is compounded by the fact that common means for decoding mold inconsistency -- dome, PLH, etc. -- aren't helpful when it comes to the Groove. People can pretty well navigate the vast array of Destroyers, whereas Grooves are more of a mystery box.

The issue with the Groove is not that you can't take one and find a use for it. The issue is that some Grooves are overstable, some are flippy, some have glide, some drop like a brick, etc. That's not terribly uncommon, but in most discs that are inconsistent you can find a tell; the domey ones suck or the flat ones suck or the ones with the flatter wing fly less stable or look at the PLH...SOMETHING gives you a clue as to what the disc is going to fly like to help a player with some experience find the one that will fit his needs. The Groove doesn't. Two discs that look identical will fly differently. You just have to buy one and hope it's going to fly the way you want it to. Nobody wants to do that. It's that "every one is a unique snowflake of suck" quality that people hate.

...And on top of that, a lot of people who are used to more "normal" wing geometry find the odd grip to be unappealing.

Or Wraith. Or Beast. Or Shryke. Or almost everything from every manufacturer over speed 10. As anyone with experience and an ounce of critical thinking ability knows.

That's cute, but I'll respectfully disagree. I've bagged plenty of molds, including the wraith & others that I've found to have much tighter tolerances than what I've found from the Destroyer. I don't have a personal issue with Destroyers, I. Just pointing out the ironic hypocrisy...

Going back to the original scripture, the problem is not merely inconsistency. That issue is compounded by the fact that common means for decoding mold inconsistency -- dome, PLH, etc. -- aren't helpful when it comes to the Groove. People can pretty well navigate the vast array of Destroyers, whereas Grooves are more of a mystery box.

...And on top of that, a lot of people who are used to more "normal" wing geometry find the odd grip to be unappealing.

Ok, I'll give you the uncomfortable wing geometry. But, to an average newb, they're not looking at dome, plh, etc. they're likely buying based on brand, naming convention, weight, or color. So, as far as that large percentage of the target market is concerned, there isn't a whole lot of difference between a Groove & Destroyer... In my opinion, new players (<3 yrs experience) shouldn't really be throwing double digit speed discs. But, I have recently had my critical thinking capability questioned, so take that with a grain of salt...:\

Wow!!

We've stooped to Groove threads. :confused: :p

I guess you can say were all getting kind of after season bored and itchy for some disc golf entertainment.:popcorn:

That's cute, but I'll respectfully disagree. I've bagged plenty of molds, including the wraith & others that I've found to have much tighter tolerances than what I've found from the Destroyer. I don't have a personal issue with Destroyers, I. Just pointing out the ironic hypocrisy...

I was agreeing with you sir and furthering your argument. Exactly how the Groove came to be singled out for criticism is unclear to me but likely has a lot to do with its unusual shape. Most criticisms are anecdotes that do not take into account the skill of the player or the state of wear or weight of the disc. The fact is that nearly all wide-rimmed drivers are inconsistent, and the Groove no more or less than others. I was not questioning your critical thinking ability but that of the general disc golf consumer pool, which happily eats whatever advertising and rhetoric it is fed.

I actually love the Groove... but I launched a Groove Sux campaign to make all of you hate it so I could hoard them all for myself. Seems to have worked out pretty well for me. I have a lifetime supply of Grooviness.

We know that isn't true! You would have to change your username to DoubleBogeyNoMore for that to be true.

groove? lol I don't even know anyone that throws a regular groove
INNVOA. :thmbdown:
picture.php
For some reason the post that had the pic isn't there anymore but these two posts were in response to someone posting a pic of a G* groove in the "Not cool photo" thread back in 2014.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll give you the uncomfortable wing geometry. But, to an average newb, they're not looking at dome, plh, etc. they're likely buying based on brand, naming convention, weight, or color. So, as far as that large percentage of the target market is concerned, there isn't a whole lot of difference between a Groove & Destroyer... In my opinion, new players (<3 yrs experience) shouldn't really be throwing double digit speed discs. But, I have recently had my critical thinking capability questioned, so take that with a grain of salt...:\
So the issue isn't with new players. New players have a daunting task of understanding which of the 50 kajillion discs they are going to choose for their one-disc rounds, and 0.00001% of them pick a putter like they should. So that fact that Destroyers are confounding to them is just par for the course; it's all confusing to them.

Destroyers are a funny disc that you can pick on easily because of the Destrulcan fiasco, which was so obvious it confounds the senses to try to understand how those things got out of the factory. But that's also part of why they are not all that hard to understand. If you throw them, you could see a Destrulcan a mile away. You can generally tell what you are getting with a little experience. Most discs are like that. People used to raise Holy Hell about Gateway discs being inconsistent, and they were. It just wasn't a big deal to me because I knew what I was looking for. It's a problem when you buy online, but that pretty much across the board with all discs.

Since I don't throw fast discs my personal albatross is the Valk. I get them as gifts because they are my main driver, and DAMN they can be all over. Generally I can buy them in person, but I got fooled with a Star Valk that is beefy as all Hell. Looked good in the store, but I missed on the PLH. I wrote "Firebird" over "Valkyre" in sharpie for grins. At any rate, there was something different about it. I just missed it in the store. Still frustrating.

I've never heard anyone be able to give any hints on what to look for that makes a Groove flippy or overstable. You can take two that look identical and they fly differently. Generally when you have two discs of the same mold that fly that differently, you can look at them and notice a difference. As of yet, no one has decoded the mystery of the Groove. That's why it has a special place in everyone's heart.

If you are willing to send me a bunch of Grooves I will attempt to figure out the mystery. I might have to look like a 60's hippie though.

Latest posts