• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2016 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Most of the time not, but it really depends on what's going on behind the scenes. What it's beginning to look like is she's still technically under contract and asked to be released, but they refused. I would think if that wasn't the case, she'd be having some manufacturer's logo on her stuff. If she's unhappy enough, I could see her being open about what's going on and her displeasure in order to get some public sentiment behind her and potentially force prodigy's hand, but that doesn't strike me as consistent with her personality.

I'm guessing there's some ambiguity in her contract that's allowing her to throw a mixed bag while still "technically" under contract. Something like she's forbidden to promote any other manufacturer or use their logos, but isn't specifically prohibited from throwing their product. So she's taking advantage of that to show her displeasure with not being released while specifically not promoting prodigy.

If this were the case I dont think she would be telling Terry the names of all the trilogy discs she's throwing

If this were the case I dont think she would be telling Terry the names of all the trilogy discs she's throwing

If she had signed with Lat/DD/Westside, she'd be marketing it and wearing logos. But there's nothing on her clothes, and it looks like all of her trilogy discs I've seen are blank and don't have any logos on them either. She's also still throwing some prodigy and I've never seen Trilogy let a pro do that. So something's up. That's not to say she won't go there, but it doesn't look like she's with them officially at this point.

man I want Paige to win now, mostly to hear the awkward interview of non-thank-you's to her "sponsors". it'll be almost as cringeworthy as crazy's interview with Paige after the world championships!

also I want her to win because she's very good at the game of disc golf.

I noticed that judge comment, but she also just threw an m2. Do sponsors give you a mixed bag grace period when u switch? Also don't remember her rocking an upper park bag last year

Ricky last year had a mixed bag at the Aussie Open last year, but that was before the actual announcement; whether that was to give him time to fully adjust to Trilogy or because they wanted to wait until the Memorial I have no clue

Very interesting situation to say the least. But Paige Pierce is the best woman in the world....perhaps the best of all time...so the world is her oyster when it comes to finding a sponsor.

Ricky last year had a mixed bag at the Aussie Open last year, but that was before the actual announcement; whether that was to give him time to fully adjust to Trilogy or because they wanted to wait until the Memorial I have no clue

It also could have been he had not officially signed with them yet and was still trying out the discs. Hard to say.

It also could have been he had not officially signed with them yet and was still trying out the discs. Hard to say.

Yeah, but he was 100% NOT under contract with Prodigy during that tournament. So its not really a good comparison.

This thread, as always...

the-gossip-circle-1000pc-jigsaw-puzzle-by-sunsout-9b1.jpg

;)

She was carrying an Upper Park Shift, so at least she made a good choice in bag

My best guess is that she has opted out of the remainder of her Prodigy contract, but there is a clause that prevents her from advertising another disc mfr for the period of the Prodigy contract.
She can throw whatever she wants, but she just can't advertise it.
Seems to make all the pieces of the puzzle fit.

I posted what she has been doing with her contract situation in this thread months ago.

My best guess is that she has opted out of the remainder of her Prodigy contract, but there is a clause that prevents her from advertising another disc mfr for the period of the Prodigy contract.

IMHO this is the best explanation of the situation. :clap:

How does someone opt out of a contract and still be bound by it? I'm not sure how that works.

you don't opt out, you break it and say F the consequences. I would assume most have a NCC/CNC which would forfeit any $/benefits..

Last edited:
Many contracts will have a non-compete clause.
I have known of situations in contracts that non-compete clauses were tied to voluntary separation of employment (quitting).
If you quit, you could not engage in a certain business that used your newly acquired skills for a certain period of time.
Even though you quit, you are still under legal obligation to the contract you had voluntarily signed while employed.
Penalties for non-compliance or even buy-outs can be spelled out in the contract.

It's all quite messy and quite legal and binding, as long as your signature was voluntary and you are mentally competent.

Beautiful photographic evidence to support the convo...

Memorial Round 2:
yJixKNP.png

PP with the beautiful UPD V4 Shift. Mmmm...

Just let her go. This situation is messy for everyone involved.