• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2018 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Bgso

Bogey Member
My instinct and various media outlets (smashboxx+DGAM) tellls me james Conrad is moving to DD.

Hope they assign him a full time social media manager.

My instinct and various media outlets (smashboxx+DGAM) tellls me james Conrad is moving to DD.

Nothing has been said. The othernight on Smashboxx they talked about who could be the biggest Upset moving if they jumped ship. Would be very shocked if he switched.

Originally Posted by Bgso View Post

He will probably make a move somewhere if Innova doesn't put him on the Star team, in my opinion. He needs to get paid.

Originally Posted by Bgso View Post

He will probably make a move somewhere if Innova doesn't put him on the Star team, in my opinion. He needs to get paid.

Yes, I messed up that quote. Don't judge me.

If he continues to tour like he did this year, Innova would be incredibly foolish not to put him on the Star team. He would arguably be more deserving than Philo, based on JC's consistent string of top finishes. They have to leave Brinster on there based on previous achievements (2013 USDGC) but they should maybe consider bumping Barsby if he has another solid season.

In looking at the women on the Star Team, I would argue that perhaps Lisa Fajkus or Jessica Weese should maybe get bumped up in place of Jen Allen, who is the current Woman's Distance Record holder, but doesn't seem to tour like the other 2.

SmashBoxx has no insight on Conrads move, if any. I think that we said... of all people he is a highly likely candidate. Because he is not truly locked into anyone right now and because of the people he tours with a lot. But, he LOVES his Aviars, and that could make it a difficult decision. And I specifically said that he isn't exactly Mr. Social Media. He won't drive sales with his outgoingness. He is just a good player. I think it would be a mistake for Innova if didn't hold on to him.

And again, I have ZERO inside knowledge... but would it surprise anyone if Madison Walker went to DD where her best friend Paige is?

SmashBoxx has no insight on Conrads move, if any. I think that we said... of all people he is a highly likely candidate. Because he is not truly locked into anyone right now and because of the people he tours with a lot. But, he LOVES his Aviars, and that could make it a difficult decision.

Speaking from direct experience, JK Aviars are pretty easy to swap with Wardens. Doubt it will matter, though. I think Innova will (wisely) hold onto him.

Too early for 2018. But with the potential growth in China, it wouldn't surprise me if by 2020, Yikun tried to sponsor some top west coast pros. We've seen how fanatical the Chinese have been with basketball stars like Kobe. If DG fever takes off in China like it has in Finland, we could see the online fan base increase quickly if their citizens are not restricted access. DG Guy has the Mandarin version of Rosetta Stone on his 2019 Xmas list. ;)

Too early for 2018. But with the potential growth in China, it wouldn't surprise me if by 2020, Yikun tried to sponsor some top west coast pros. We've seen how fanatical the Chinese have been with basketball stars like Kobe. If DG fever takes off in China like it has in Finland, we could see the online fan base increase quickly if their citizens are not restricted access. DG Guy has the Mandarin version of Rosetta Stone on his 2019 Xmas list. ;)

Wow really, I would be more surprised by this than McBeth going to Ching.

Im not sure the Chinese value open space and parks in the same way they do in Finland. If you exclude the unlivable areas of china...people per SQ KM;the gap is insane. Just too many people in China. Same reason why NYC disc golf will never take off.

Ever been to an American National Park. There is a reason that it is 50% Chinese.

With all that unlivable space in china included its like 14 PPL per square KM in Finland to 144 per square KM in China.

Just too many people to have spacious preserves and parks that would encourage DG growth I bet.

According to my basic search skills.
There are 0 courses in China
There are ~450 courses in Finland.

I guess they could co-op golf courses, but there arent a ton of those either.

Last edited:
I like many of the Yikun assortment. They could easily make a full bag with about two more discs. They need a more OS slow disc and an OS control driver and then just about anyone could field their lineup.

It would be interesting to see if they actually have some courses but just don't have listings. Maybe I'll email Eric at Yikun and find out.

Apparently it is too difficult to rename the 2018 thread with the exact same name as the 2017 thread. Can we discuss 2018 sponsor changes here and end the confusion?

Most likely going to happen
Elane King to MVP

Not quite a shock but could see it
Madison Walker to Dynamic
Dustin Perry to Lat (Seeing as how he is playing many events with Dollar and Childs I can see him trying a new company)

Better contracts - granted the only one that you really can tell would be if they moved up a team.
Conrad to Star team (Sorry don't see him jumping ship anytime soon)
Grady Shue (will be a name up in the top ranks next year)

Wow really, I would be more surprised by this than McBeth going to Ching.

Im not sure the Chinese value open space and parks in the same way they do in Finland. If you exclude the unlivable areas of china...people per SQ KM;the gap is insane. Just too many people in China. Same reason why NYC disc golf will never take off.

Ever been to an American National Park. There is a reason that it is 50% Chinese.

With all that unlivable space in china included its like 14 PPL per square KM in Finland to 144 per square KM in China.

Just too many people to have spacious preserves and parks that would encourage DG growth I bet.

According to my basic search skills.
There are 0 courses in China
There are ~450 courses in Finland.

I guess they could co-op golf courses, but there arent a ton of those either.

600+ for Finland actually.

...They have to leave Brinster on there based on previous achievements (2013 USDGC)....

...maybe get bumped up in place of Jen Allen, who is the current Woman's Distance Record holder, but doesn't seem to tour like the other 2.

These two statements contradict, but still address the same topic. It's good to have regional players with great accomplishments, but the Star Team should have a NT/DGPT event commitment requirement.

...And I specifically said that he isn't exactly Mr. Social Media. He won't drive sales with his outgoingness. He is just a good player...

I would argue James is a great player that has not peaked.

And more importantly, the value of his consistent appearances on lead/chase cards during NT/DGPT coverage far outweighs his actively level on social media in terms of disc sales.

Latest posts