• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] The Judge.

Are all premium plastic judges domier than my classic blends? Wish I could get a flat top lucid or fusion.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Are all premium plastic judges domier than my classic blends? Wish I could get a flat top lucid or fusion.

In my experience, yes. Try hot water to flatten them if it is that big a deal to you. I personally like to turn the disc upside down on a flat surface and put a pot of very hot water down on it (I have a couple pots that fit just inside the flightplate of the disc). Don't heat the water in the pot you use through. Worst case you get a slight shoulder remaining but a flat flightplate for 95% of the disc.

Last edited:
Two questions concerning the Judge:

1) Does the Classic Blend Burst feel just like the regular Classic Blend? If not, how are they different?

2) Does anyone here use the Judge as your approach disc? If so, which plastic do you use?

OK, I guess that's really four questions. My apologies!

I had a best putter approach disc contest today using 8 of my putters. After 13 throws from distances 40-150', tallying the total distance from the target, taking confidence in my throw with each disc into consideration, my Classic Blend 173g Judge won out (Deputy being a close 2nd). Didn't care for the Judge as a putter (have found my putter love in the Warlock SSS), but as an approach disc it really worked well today...with the wind, into the wind, side wind left, side wind right, etc.

Thanks for any help!

TripleB

1) Does the Classic Blend Burst feel just like the regular Classic Blend? If not, how are they different?

2) Does anyone here use the Judge as your approach disc? If so, which plastic do you use?

I had a best putter approach disc contest today using 8 of my putters. After 13 throws from distances 40-150', tallying the total distance from the target, taking confidence in my throw with each disc into consideration, my Classic Blend 173g Judge won out (Deputy being a close 2nd). Didn't care for the Judge as a putter (have found my putter love in the Warlock SSS), but as an approach disc it really worked well today...with the wind, into the wind, side wind left, side wind right, etc.

Thanks for any help!

TripleB

I haven't tried a Burst disc. I used to putt with the CB Judge, then moved to Classic plastic.

I also have a couple of Lucid Judges that I used for approaches. And it is very very possible that a Lucid Judge might make its way back into my bag as an approach disc. The Lucid Judge is extremely comfortable in the hand, as well as a good flyer.

I also have a Fuzion Warden, and I like that plastic a lot for approaches, as well. I think the Judge is available in Fuzion. Either Fuzion or Lucis would be good.

Last edited:
I also have a couple of Lucid Judges that I used for approaches. And it is very very possible that a Lucid Judge might make its way back into my bag as an approach disc. The Lucid Judge is extremely comfortable in the hand, as well as a good flyer.

I also have a Fuzion Warden, and I like that plastic a lot for approaches, as well. I think the Judge is available in Fuzion. Either Fuzion or Lucis would be good.

I love the Lucid/Opto/VIP plastics from Trilogy...out of my current 11 discs that I carry, I think 6 of them are these plastics (2 opto, 2 lucid, 2 VIP). Never tried Fuzion but would love to.

Does the Lucid or Fuzion skip more on approach shots than say the Classic Blend?

Thanks for the input!

TripleB

The past two seasons I used two classic blend judges as my main putters. This season I bought two burst blend judges to replace them. I was a bit disappointed. The flight plate on my old blends was considerably stiffer than the burst. Not sure why there is a difference. Maybe color or maybe burst.

I use a prime judge for some straight approaches both FH and BH now. Works well, I like the grip for touch shots and it is pretty stiff, which I like for harder throws. Plus it breaks in, so I am hoping to get it fairly understable and maybe between it and a new Lucid/Fuzion replace my fossil wizard cycle.

Does the Lucid or Fuzion skip more on approach shots than say the Classic Blend?

Depending on how you throw them, for example low hyzers that come in flat, I'd expect the premium plastic to skip more than the baseline (Classic Blend). Straight, more floaty approaches won't be as bad a problem. I throw premium plastic for everything except my putting putter and my Polekitty, and I either allow for the skip, try to get the skip, or throw a spike hyzer that crashes in and bounces more than skips...

Thanks for any help!

TripleB

1) Some of the premium plastic burst discs I have found have a very slight change in texture across the burst pattern, like you could tell that the plastic was injected in a particular pattern. That being said, this is only noticeable based on how the surface reflects light, not how they feel in hand. The classic bursts on the other hand are largely indistinguishable from their regular cousins.

2) Judges, hoo boy. First of all, I recommend bagging an OS complement like a Harp etc for forehand duties and also hyzer approaches, as I have been disappointed a number of times by the judge's lack of ability to fade out under the basket. That being said, they are super neutral when compared to their beaded forerunners (the wizard) even in premium plastic, which is kind of cool. I also recommend bagging a blend judge for a few wooded rounds and working in some backups, as a seasoned judge turns into a low powered laserbeam, very useful. Overall though I prefer classic hard, but it does take much more abuse for them to truly straighten out when compared to the blends.

EDIT: Note that the premium judges don't skip much thanks to their low speed, shape, and overall lack of strong fade. Also as mentioned by Spike Hyzer, I did notice the other day that the Blend Judges at the local brick and mortar felt like flexy garbage compared to my old stiff but grippy blends.

Last edited:
Went out and worked on approach shots with the Judge today...on my 3rd throw I made around a 85 footer...I think I've found my approach disc :D However, I will be getting it in a premium plastic, either Lucid or Fluid, because the bead on my Classic Blend is already getting chewed up...not sure that it effects the flight but it sure is annoying.

Thanks for all the input!

TripleB

Surprisingly my most OS Judges (and I have a TON of weights and plastics to choose from) are 167g Lucids. They're my go-to driving putters, even in decent wind. High speed stable with a reliable fade. The blend of Lucid they're in reminds me of the original Opto plastic. Super tough and doesn't beat in quickly at all.

Is the Fluid Judge the same shape as the Lucid Judge or is one flatter than the other?

I have a Classic Blend Judge and a Lucid Judge...the Classic Blend is a bit flatter than the Lucid, I'm just wondering which of the two the Fluid is closest to.

Thanks!

TripleB

Is the Fluid Judge the same shape as the Lucid Judge or is one flatter than the other?

I have a Classic Blend Judge and a Lucid Judge...the Classic Blend is a bit flatter than the Lucid, I'm just wondering which of the two the Fluid is closest to.

Thanks!

TripleB

Dunno about Fluid Judges, but my Fluid Wardens are the same shape as my Fuzion Warden, and pretty much the same shape as my Classic Wardens.

In your case above, I'd guess the Lucid is going to be closer to the Fluid than the CBs will be.

Isn't there some sort of Opto-X that is suppose to be firm? Does DD have anything like that?

Isn't there some sort of Opto-X that is suppose to be firm? Does DD have anything like that?

I'm not sure how firm Opto-X is, but I think it's been used only for limited runs and their equivalent of Tour Series discs. I am not holding my breath waiting for Judges or much anything else in Opto-X in the near future...

Opto-X is the same as Lucid-X, and it was a one-off run of very stiff plastic. My wife uses a Burst Lucid Judge though, and that's almost as stiff. Kinda like Champ, but maybe not quite as durable.

I don't keep up with DD so no idea if these are common or not, but I thought this was a sexy judge:

yAqBXKl.jpg

Thought I would stop in and give the judge a good bump because it is in fact the best putter, and I finally got a Fuzion one to throw that goes with the CB one I putt with. #teamjudge

Has anyone thrown/felt the classic blend moonshine Judges? Any different than the regular classic blends (besides they glow, obviously)?