• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Des Moines Challenge

I am arguing on behalf of: yes, he can. Because I believe the lie itself inherently is changed by the removal of the casual obstacle from the lie space.
There's usually the potential of two lies the player can choose after most throws other than holing out. Imagine if a newbie group didn't know if the player could play from behind their thrown disc or had to use a marker? So, the group agreed to allow the player to call a provisional and play both lies. As a TD would you penalize the player for practice throws similar to GB's situation? Or perhaps the correct call should be a misplay with 2-stroke penalty?

You are certainly all in for this discussion Chris. I'm looking for what I agree with but here are a few thinks that I can't resolve with my understanding of the Rules:

Rule already gives "option" to move casual objects: 803.01 B 1 and backpacks: 803.01 b 2. Maybe these could be moved to 803.02?

"Conventional solid obstacle" doesn't exist;
Conventional is a descriptor denoting something is in accordance with what is generally observed. A "solid obstacle" does exist in a rulebook. A players bag is an odd case that is not covered in the rules. However if it is deemed to be, by convention, a solid obstacle and not a casual obstacle, that is how it would be played. Behind it. Because, with support from the Q&A, you can not play from atop it if it is deemed a solid obstacle because its top is not a playing surface. You'll note that I do not, through my posts, refer to casual obstacles as "conventional" anywhere else. This use was to specifically refer to the possible decisions around the player's bag that the disc landed in. I do not think there is something termed a "conventional solid obstacle" in the rulebook.

Do you really believe that? Those are casual objects & you have the option of moving them, or not.
I do believe what I said, it sounds like there is a gap in our rules that would technically prevent players from throwing from atop casual obstacles if they're also failing to establish a contact point within their lie. It shouldn't be surprising, we have a new sport and a young rulebook that is constantly in flux. This is the sort of random gap that can only be really observed through edge cases - requiring a rule violation, a group without a rulebook or access to the rules online, a dispute over the reality of the rule, and then a player calling out another player (or in this case: an observer on a message board) for attempting to take a provisional.

So no more moving wood chips because they become defined as playing surface? What kind of wood chips? They seem fine lumped with debris.
The wood chips aren't waste, are they? How are they debris when they're an intentional part of the playing surface, placed there for a purpose?

As for no-more-moving-wood-chips as a result of this, honestly you're right. No more moving wood chips... this actually exposes another issue with the rules. The rules do state that "the course must not be altered by the player in any way to decrease the difficulty of a hole. Players must play the course as they find it and play the disc where it lies unless otherwise allowed by these rules." You're not creating a new issue by making the wood chips a part of the playing surface, you're just adding another case to a different problem. Players alter the playing surface all the time to decrease the difficulty of a hole, prior to the act of throwing, to improve their purchase so that their foot doesn't slide out.

Whether it is moving a wood chip (if we're defining it as part of the playing surface) or kicking your foot at the ground to create an impression and not slip - does it rise to the level of "a player who intentionally damages any part of the course receives two penalty throws"? Maybe we need to look at the way we adjudicate altering the course as well.

Yikes. Sounds like rule creep & exactly the kind of over complicated minutia the RC has avoided.
Clearly it has not been avoided. It could really be cleaned up by simply adding a line indicating that the lie in some way DOES include the casual obstacle within the bounds of the lie, or that you CAN stand atop casual obstacles.

Playing on them or not is a choice. You are not forced to move casual objects within your lie. You decide what is covered & ask card for a ruling if you don't agree. I'm not addressing the provisional aspect of this discussion.
However per the actual wording, playing from on them is not a choice. We assume that it is a choice, because that makes the most sense given our background actually playing the game. But per the wording of the rulebook, as I've gone over section by section earlier, you don't get that choice.

The solution is really simple. It is a single line, of one type or the other as I noted above, and would clear up the problems caused ALREADY by what you referred to as "rules creep."

There's usually the potential of two lies the player can choose after most throws other than holing out. Imagine if a newbie group didn't know if the player could play from behind their thrown disc or had to use a marker? So, the group agreed to allow the player to call a provisional and play both lies. As a TD would you penalize the player for practice throws similar to GB's situation? Or perhaps the correct call should be a misplay with 2-stroke penalty?
C. None of the above.

Soooo what's the verdict? Should Gannon have been stroked for provisional or was that the correct call? Move the stick acceptable?
I still firmly believe the verdict is that Gannon should have been allowed to throw the provisional, the ruling would have deemed that per his wishes he should have been allowed to move the stick, and he should have been forced to take the set of throws resulting from throwing with the stick moved.

this rules discussion really needs to be moved to the rules section. (pssst, hey mods move like the last 30 posts)

anyhoo, since i'm here. how big does a loose branch have to be before it is part of the course and not a casual obstacle?... call that into question & now we can apply the 2 different lies provisional (809.02.B.2)

Last edited:
. A players bag is an odd case that is not covered in the rules.

I cut out a lot of the original comment to focus on the line above. It is covered by the rules....specifically 810 Interference, para G:

Players must not stand or leave their equipment where interference with a disc in play may occur. A player may require other players to move themselves or their equipment if either could interfere with the throw. Refusal to do so is a courtesy violation.

You cannot, by the rule, move someone else's equipment....but you can request they do so or they get a courtesy violation.

I cut out a lot of the original comment to focus on the line above. It is covered by the rules....specifically 810 Interference, para G:

You cannot, by the rule, move someone else's equipment....but you can request they do so or they get a courtesy violation.

What are the consequences of a fan or a spotter receiving a courtesy violation?

There seem to be no practical consequences that would help the player in that moment.

Soooo what's the verdict? Should Gannon have been stroked for provisional or was that the correct call? Move the stick acceptable?

Moving the stick was definitely fine. I tend to agree with Woj on whether the provisional was acceptable and certainly would not penalize a player for taking it in that situation. (Which was not my initial feeling but I am capable of reconsidering positions.)

Also- there should be a real Rules Test to get a Tour card- either no open book and not timed or timed if open book.

And (this is one we came up with last weekend)- any player equipment that is behind the throwing player's lie should by default become an obstacle and the owner should not be penalized for weird arse rollaways/bounces that cause a disc to strike said equipment.

Last edited:
What are the consequences of a fan or a spotter receiving a courtesy violation?

There seem to be no practical consequences that would help the player in that moment.

Good point....I was not considering the issue of a fan/spotter's bag causing the interference. I misunderstood the point to be about another player's bag.

As a spotter, I was told that I needed to do my best to keep myself and my 'stuff' in a place where I would not affect the throw or be hit by the disc. BUT, as a spotter, I and my 'stuff' are considered a part of the course since we are supposed to be there. (I may have been told that wrongly, but that has always been my understanding as far as spotters are concerned).

Whether or not the lie would have been different if the stick was moved, the rules do not allow provisional throws for this situation.

809.02 B. says when provisional throws are allowed.

B 1 allows provisional thows when the disc "may be lost, out-of-bounds, or have missed a mandatory" (plus other requirements). This disc was none of these, so B 1 does not apply.

B 2 allows provisional throws in the case of an appeal (echoed in 801.03 Appeals C.). There was no appeal in this case, so neither B 2 nor 801.03 C allow for provisional throws.

The rules do not allow provisional throws merely because players would prefer to shirk their duty to know and enforce the rules. The rules do not say: when in doubt, throw a provisional. (Yeah, there is case to be made that they should but they don't.)

In this case, if the group was not willing to even vote on whether the stick could be moved, then they didn't reach a majority decision. So, 801.03 applies:

"When a group cannot reach a majority decision regarding a ruling, the ruling is based on the interpretation that is most beneficial to the thrower."

Gannon should have been allowed to move the stick and played on.

More on the 'spectator bag interfering'. The closest thing is rule 810 Interference C...but even that doesn't include bags and other objects. Maybe it should be re-written to say something like a non-player person, or their belongings, or an animal......

A thrown disc that strikes a person or animal is played where it first comes to rest.

I recall a tournament video where Simon (I think) threw a disc that became a roller and went onto an OB sidewalk. Spectators were scrambling to get out of the way, but a bike rider didn't move fast enough and the disc hit his bike and stayed OB.

Simon had to take his lie from where the disc went OB, even though it was pretty obvious that if it hadn't been interfered with it would have been inbounds.

So hit a spectator or their bag, just play it based on the current lie.

Didn't Gannon have to play out of someone's (spectators) bag once? I swear I remember that happening where his disc was still in bounds and landed in a spectators disc golf bag and Gannon put one foot up the guys bag and took his shot from there. Or was I imagining that?

Didn't Gannon have to play out of someone's (spectators) bag once? I swear I remember that happening where his disc was still in bounds and landed in a spectators disc golf bag and Gannon put one foot up the guys bag and took his shot from there. Or was I imagining that?

It landed on a bag and he played it with his foot on it, mostly Gannon goofing around.

Calls aren't unilateral. You could not be unilaterally responsible for making the call.
actually, I could if I were an official. Please read the rules--all of them.
That's a pointless addendum to the fact that - under your interpretation, Gannon gets penalty strokes for practice throws. His card mates do not. Thats what happens. It is not gray, I agree, the rules state what they state in black and white.
Are the players not responsible for knowing the rules and applying them correctly? If it is in black and white, we don't want players choosing to not apply the rules correctly for arbitrary reasons. Failure to know and enforce the rules is a courtesy violation is it not? It's a courtesy violation because it is unfair to the field of players.
Yes, but thats not what we're debating at all. It has absolutely no bearing on the question of: in a situation where the players cannot agree regarding that rule, can Gannon take a provisional and put it to the TD/Official?
In this case, the default position is to the benefit of the thrower or Gannon.
He should not have thrown a provisional. He should have declared their inability to make a call as defaulting to his own interpretation of the rule. He could move the branch.
No provisional or secondary ruling required. Knowledge of the rules would lead one to this outcome.
I am arguing on behalf of: yes, he can. Because I believe the lie itself inherently is changed by the removal of the casual obstacle from the lie space.
and you are wrong. You don't get to say that failure to know the rules means you can make up rules and interpretations and throw two shots every time the group is unsure of what to do.
I am not arguing against anything else. My point has literally nothing at all to do with whether or not the rule regarding casual obstacles itself is clear (it is). It only has to do with what Gannon has the right to do on the course when the card cannot decide what the rule is, as was the situation in Des Moines.

Case closed. It was a misplay. The adjudication of that misplay would be up to the TD. As a TD, one would likely prefer to say that not having witnessed the event it seems the particulars of the incident would be relevant, thus a proper judgement after the fact is not possible. It is allowed to stand as played. No penalties.

B 2 allows provisional throws in the case of an appeal (echoed in 801.03 Appeals C.). There was no appeal in this case, so neither B 2 nor 801.03 C allow for provisional throws.
Are you trying to say that an appeal has to be made before the throw? Or are you saying that Gannon gets penalized for failing to take it to the TD after the round? What do you mean that there was no appeal? The appeal comes later. Are you saying Gannon failed to approach an official later with an appeal and so his provisional was a practice throw?

actually, I could if I were an official. Please read the rules--all of them.
Oh sorry, your gotcha totally got me. I was assuming in your vague hypothetical that you were a card member. Not an official. You totally got me.
Are the players not responsible for knowing the rules and applying them correctly? If it is in black and white, we don't want players choosing to not apply the rules correctly for arbitrary reasons. Failure to know and enforce the rules is a courtesy violation is it not? It's a courtesy violation because it is unfair to the field of players. In this case, the default position is to the benefit of the thrower or Gannon.
He should not have thrown a provisional. He should have declared their inability to make a call as defaulting to his own interpretation of the rule. He could move the branch.
No provisional or secondary ruling required. Knowledge of the rules would lead one to this outcome. and you are wrong. You don't get to say that failure to know the rules means you can make up rules and interpretations and throw two shots every time the group is unsure of what to do.
Well. It's a good thing this specific case seems outlined under the rules to allow a provisional, because the lie does inherently change. I agree - you can't just throw two shots any time the group is unsure of what to do. In this case - it seems fine by the actual word of the rulebook.

Oh sorry, your gotcha totally got me. I was assuming in your vague hypothetical that you were a card member. Not an official. You totally got me.

Well. It's a good thing this specific case seems outlined under the rules to allow a provisional, because the lie does inherently change. I agree - you can't just throw two shots any time the group is unsure of what to do. In this case - it seems fine by the actual word of the rulebook.

Sorry if the rules don't agree with your imagination Chris. Of course the only way one would be able to call it unilaterally is if they are the official. Your childish response of "oh you got me" is unnecessary in that what I said was factual and you only take issue because you made in an incorrect assumption.

Things occur in sequence. The only sequence that would have been correct is for Gannon to take advantage of the card failing to make a call and say he can play it as he believes to be correct (move the branch).

801.03 Appeals
A. When a group cannot reach a majority decision regarding a ruling, the ruling is based on the interpretation that is most beneficial to the thrower.

There is no changing of the lie because it wasn't legal to play it as a provisional.

You've done a lot of twisting and molding and trying to define things to suit your beliefs, but that does not change the facts.

Are you trying to say that an appeal has to be made before the throw? Or are you saying that Gannon gets penalized for failing to take it to the TD after the round? What do you mean that there was no appeal? The appeal comes later. Are you saying Gannon failed to approach an official later with an appeal and so his provisional was a practice throw?

I'd like to hear what you think the rules say - after you've re-read them with this question in mind.

Chillax Karen.

Sorry if the rules don't agree with your imagination Chris. Of course the only way one would be able to call it unilaterally is if they are the official. Your childish response of "oh you got me" is unnecessary in that what I said was factual and you only take issue because you made in an incorrect assumption.
And your childish and vague gotcha was asinine. The actual situation on the actual course that we are actually referring back to did not involve an official being present. I had no idea that you were introducing yourself as a present non-playing official, a new factor in the scenario already being discussed. I had a reason to make the assumption I did - because it fit the scenario we are referring back to.
Things occur in sequence. The only sequence that would have been correct is for Gannon to take advantage of the card failing to make a call and say he can play it as he believes to be correct (move the branch).

801.03 Appeals
A. When a group cannot reach a majority decision regarding a ruling, the ruling is based on the interpretation that is most beneficial to the thrower.

There is no changing of the lie because it wasn't legal to play it as a provisional.

You've done a lot of twisting and molding and trying to define things to suit your beliefs, but that does not change the facts.
That, of course, WOULD HAVE BEEN the correct sequence - if not for the fact that, per the actual words in the actual rulebook, he can call for a provisional. I haven't twisted anything - I've used the words of the rulebook directly as they are presented to us. You've ignored the rule of the book and used judgement/discretion that would support an interpretation that, though it makes sense to us as disc golfers wanting to get by on what we think should be, simply isn't in alignment with the actual wording of the actual rulebook.

Latest posts