• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The latest runs of Innovas blizzard discs. Huge problems?

I'll take some of the blame. I really should have sent them back.

That's what my local place did. They got 25 discs in and sent back 17 or 18 of them for credit. Because of demand I'm sure they'll be sent back out to another shop instead of being recycled for Echo plastic.

I've run and processed nitrogen filled parts and if you guys think its gimmicky or that its just air bubbles your nuts.
Sure when it runs smooth its great but when it doesn't (which is often) its definitely one of the biggest pain in the ass processes to deal with. You try keeping thousands of gas bubbles from escaping through the surface :\
From the second the gas enters the plastic all it tries to do is escape, its like an air bubble under water it doesn't just hang out and wait for the part to cool it seeks out the surface. So you run the mold cooler to try and freeze off the gate and entire surface of the part, only now you have problems with short shots and sinks because the plastic cools too fast. It can be a never ending circle of problems with every fix causing a new problem.

So yeah it is actually pretty impressive that they can pull it off.
But that doesn't excuse the piss poor quality control, ever. As someone stated earlier, this is about getting parts out the door. If you want better quality its kind of on you to not accept the junk they're sending you. Injection molding is no different than any other business, customer demand always trumps quality. If every shop in the country is ordering hundreds of these a week innova is going to let a lot of junk slide to meet your demand. If every shop in the country refuses to accept the defective parts then they'll only ship good discs, and you'll be waiting..

Damned if they do, Damned if they don't

:clap: great post

I've ran across more than one Star Destroyer with the exposed bubbles in the rim.

I bought one of the newer run Bosses and it doesn't even fly like the earlier runs I have thrown. This thing is a meathook. I hate I wasted my money on it. Absolutely useless to me. I hate overstable crap.

I bought one of the newer run Bosses and it doesn't even fly like the earlier runs I have thrown. This thing is a meathook. I hate I wasted my money on it. Absolutely useless to me. I hate overstable crap.

Trade it and move on. I am sure someone will want it.

I have a buddy that found the complete opposite - he got a newer run Boss and it was flippy out of the box whereas he was looking for something stable like the first one he got.

There were a range of stabilities early on and in the later runs, you have to look at the plh. They do seem to be pretty consistent based on that, so if you can check that before you buy it's not too tough to get similar stabilities. If you're ordering online it can be a bit of a crap shoot.

I wonder how much of this is new stock vs. early stock....as fast as they've sold, I'd imagine, unfortunately, that it's new. It seemed like toward the end of April-ish that they'd gotten a decent lock on the process and at that point most of the discs I saw locally in shops were much more consistent and the surface was smooth instead of pitted. Supply & Demand vs. QC may be the reason...crappy reason, but I guess not unexpected with Innova. Oh well.

No problems with the couple i've picked up.

It's like buying any discs....
BUY IN PERSON and you get to feel and pick out what you want.
ORDER ONLINE and "hope" you're getting what you want.

I do have to say that in terms of look and feel I like the early runs with bubbles in the flight plate better than the newer stuff.

I saw a box of x outs @ PIAS and the flight plates had risen at LEAST an 1" off the disc it self it looked CRAZY

I have now seen a severely pitted blizzard disc.

Those that I have purchased have been smooth, and I believe they have really helped my game (Wraiths between 138 and 150).

I saw a blizz Boss (134g) today that was pitted beyond belief. I think if it were put to even mild scrutiny, it would not be allowable for tournament play by current PDGA standards. It was that pocked.

Was this a Wiggy Boss?

I have two blizz bosses and one is more durable than the other in terms of hitting stuff lol. One is scuffed and dented and the other is kush...

i baught a bliz krait from the factory store today...i hope i lucked out

if you were looking for roller disc you'll be very happy. I keep trying to get mine to do anything more than just flip into a roller.. granted I can get some distance from them that way, but it's not what I expected.

Latest posts