• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"The Method" by Brian Weissman

Someone pointed out in the comments that it's me he's taking shots at. Probably true. But also, not really. He's just crouching lower than I, so that's it, and doesn't understand the action of throwing the disc. But he does have a cult following, which I don't so he's doing something right.

If you look at his throws in some of his older videos, you can see that his body doesn't line up with what he teaches.

Re Slingshot, yes makes my brain hurt as well, so much doublespeak, it's hard to tell what he is talking about half the time.

I don't think anyone is actually teaching "Way #1" ie tipping/going over top and "shifting from in front" which is what he demonstrates. Lots of Am's do it though. He seems to interchange "weight" as both CoM and Pressure which are two very different, but related things. I hate the way he finishes behind the front leg, looks painful and no top thrower does that. You do see some pros do it unfortunately though like in my standstill analysis of Lucky and Brad Williams.

"Way #2" ie Slingshot Method. Some others also teach it that way or something similar. I only agree with about half of it, like the coil and drift part (Door Frame/Bow Arrow/Hershyzer Drills). He's just found a way/teaching a way to counter act tipping over and shifting from in front by hanging back and spinning out. It can still work and be powerful, but I don't think it's the best/efficient/safest way or what most of the top throwers actually do.

I guess I teach "Way #3" which is not mentioned. Shift from behind and tilt(shift from underneath) and then turn/pivot effortlessly on the front leg.
Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 9.14.50 PM.png

Ok. Say more about 'tilt properly in the backswing'

Im on team shift underneath, great way to say that. I get what the brace side wants to look like… im not super clear on the x step balance side yet, but getting closer to understanding.

IMHO it's maybe the most complex part of the move overall because so many things are happening simultaneously. There's the balance point, Figure 8 pattern, and the posture.

Balance point: this image is one way to express it (Ezra Aderhold and Sidewinder ride the bull in particular).
1714701442436.png

It's just the head to toe balance of the body into the feet. You can probably feel it pretty quickly with moves like these too.

1000010830.gif
1000010831.gif

That seems "simple" on its own but the problem is that you don't get the ideal action just getting your balance head to toe to conform to that line alone.

If you add more of a posture change letting the front side close off and let the booty lead the stride more, such as winding up the plant leg before striding off the rear side to kick the ball and land on the plant, you get partway there.

1000010832.gif

Notice how his rear heel moves toward the target instead of spinning back away.

If you get that far, you are on the way to knowing why he made the Hershyzer drill. It just isolates the moment - and similar backswing posture - of the X-step transition. You "Preset the booty" and lead with the "mAss."

To enact the proper booty set in an actual X-step, you need to be elevating or minimally drifting completely forward in the step before the X-step. Simon's sneaky elevating step and posture let his X step swing in behind him, and notice thar because he is in athletic "booty leading" posture it is already "preset" like Hershyzer when he loads the X-step with pressure. Then because he is tilted like described above, he has already set up the "drift and drop" from the X step leading with his mAss, and shifting underneath because he allows the tilt to evolve all the way to his front foot balanced dynamically "on top of" the front leg.

3cacdcd3981f98f2e1c863a9f57f85e8.gif

Happy to air out my own issues as an exemplar- if I do what he's saying in this link properly it will be much closer to Simon's move mechanically, but it needs to include the tilted balance to work.

Attachments

• 1714701623602.jpeg
    1714701623602.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1714701686879.jpeg
    1714701686879.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
These are much better except for the foot twist part and a little long winded.

Here is some jet-lagged musings on what Im thinking about the axis.

I see way more of the value of the Seabas model now though.

I am absolutely not trying to model a whole throw or a correct throw with my OLD or this axis model. I am just trying to get folks to brace the way I have felt it work where it actally makes sense how to get ground force from the front leg into the disc.

Here is the not monetized version where I try not to subject you to advertising (pretty sure yt does anyways tho):

If you wanna earn me my fraction of a cent per view here is the monitized link:

Last edited:
Never met this Brian but he's a client of someone I know and his Method got him touting 400ft of PR distance. I wonder what his most successful student is reaching in their throw for max distance.

But then again, nor does mine. Executing the moves you teach has nothing to do with coaching, in my opinion.
Absolutely! A lot of the time it is getting the body to do what the mind knows. For Slingshot, it's getting the mind to know what the body does.

That's not a knock on him. I think in some way, it's a better starting point.

Here is some jet-lagged musings on what Im thinking about the axis.

I see way more of the value of the Seabas model now though.

I am absolutely not trying to model a whole throw or a correct throw with my OLD or this axis model. I am just trying to get folks to brace the way I have felt it work where it actally makes sense how to get ground force from the front leg into the disc.

Here is the not monetized version where I try not to subject you to advertising (pretty sure yt does anyways tho):

If you wanna earn me my fraction of a cent per view here is the monitized link:

I'll say it again, it can get weird/confusing talking about or applying rigid body math concepts in the throw. I also demo/talk about having an "axis of sorts" on the rear leg with the spine in my One Leg Drill vid with the pool cue stick, but that is not The Axis of Rotation or the Braced/Stable Axis of Rotation. Everything is rotating around the front leg which is definition of the Axis of Rotation. We don't rotate around the rear leg except in the backswing when it's on the ground. There's a difference between something rotating/spinning vs rotating/orbiting around something (an axis).
Screen Shot 2024-05-03 at 12.42.52 AM copy.jpg
Timestamp 3m52s

I disagree with the dropping of the left hip as a power source that you demo at 7m40s. I think this might also be part of where your disagreement about the axis of rotation stems from. You are collapsing your front hip and dropping your head down significantly. I'm remaining tall and pivoting freely around the front leg. If I want to add power from a true One Leg I would use my whole Center of Mass rising and dropping and rising again like my One Leg Crush the Can below, or staying on the ground I would windup the core with the rear leg in front of me in the backswing and then kick it back like Randy C below. IMO there isn't much need for "containment" in a One Leg Drill as there is no or little horizontal momentum. IMO you are just restricting yourself, collapsing/folding into yourself with your version or phase 1 with the "static front leg and left hip drop". I just don't understand the why or need to teach the phase 1 part of what you are teaching and think it's more injury prone than it needs to be if you just skipped to phase 2, although I'm not sure I totally inline with that either, but I think it's much better than phase 1.

Keep on trucking, hope you have some fun in Venice!

giphy.gif

Never met this Brian but he's a client of someone I know and his Method got him touting 400ft of PR distance. I wonder what his most successful student is reaching in their throw for max distance.
I would guess Sebastian is his most successful student although I'm sure Brian also learned a lot from him. He was already throwing 78mph when he met him in 2020. I was giving them both advice at the time.

Screen Shot 2024-05-03 at 2.15.51 AM.png

I haven't been to Venice yet but I sure hope to- enjoy It!

Sidewinder is on top of the axes here so I just wanted to talk about ground forces:

I agree people find this challenging, I was certainly one of them. I also do think in a technically sense there's a continuum from very weak and sluggish ground force to very strong and fast ground forces. You can also have a throw that has a lot of quickness and momentum and elastic athleticism or peak strength and still get plenty of juice on the disc even if the ground force reaction kind of sucks but you somehow stop and redirect forward momentum. SS has figured out how to do a version of that but I won't rehash the above discussion.

One of the things I really like that "ah ha-ed" me was the jumping crush the can drill- threw out of it outside and instantly had a one legged 300' Comet. It was the first time I think I actually felt a "fully stacked" ground force reaction with less of a collapsing hip. That's why I tend to think of bracing as functioning like a vertical hop or lateral linebacker stop/pivot or somewhere in between based on the angulation and tilt of the overall move. The posture and balance are about optimizing the fluidity of the action, being quicker in the shift, and stopping forward momentum without ruining joints as your enter the throw and follow through.

Getting that lesson to translate into the entire move with more tilt was incredibly hard (and I'm closer now but not quite there). In some ways I am still just optimizing around that body discovery. Beyond any body benefits, I think my recent obsession with fitness and reactive forces is just tuning that effect and helping me get closer to the neuromuscular control I need to brace and get a strong "stacked" brace rather than a weaker collapsing hip/knee whilst also getting a stronger ground force reaction into the disc. I can probably only take more athleticism into the move now fairly safely (in my case) because of body conditioning and countless hours on drills and throwing since I started from worse than nothing.

I did mention the alternatives got me hurt faster, especially the knees. Getting stacked and getting gradually more out of the "buttwipe" part of the maneuver and hopefully getting more comfortably balanced on the rear side in transition should theoretically take more and more pressure off the knees, gain more from momentum and loading the rear side, get me a quicker shift, and thus give a sharper peak ground reaction force when I plant. All of that requires the tilted balance to work well enough to pull off the maneuver without tipping.

Again, I'm sympathetic to everyone who struggles with this (both seeing it and doing it). The pro tour-level X-step is an incredibly high level move in transition and it is no wonder this stuff eludes almost everyone who doesn't just "get it" without drills or puzzling it through, especially when you try to break it down conceptually and diagramattically at first.

Now that sidewinder mentions it- on left hip drop I think that is kind of the mirror and precursor of collapsing on the front side. I think if you have a leaking rear hip you tend to have (1) some balance issue and (2) a leaking front side somewhere when you land because they're intimately connected in motion (ask me how I know lol). Even if you can't nail a perfect transition move probably better to find what leverage and dynamic balance you can in transition to address the above than not, in principle.

Last edited:
Absolutely! A lot of the time it is getting the body to do what the mind knows. For Slingshot, it's getting the mind to know what the body does.

That's not a knock on him. I think in some way, it's a better starting point.
I am pleased I don't feel envy often these days, but starting with that dude's athleticism would have been awesome. It's like he started with a Ferrari and I started with a rusted 1985 Jeep, physically (jupiterboy will appreciate that).

On the other hand I still enjoy nerding out about all this even as I happily think less and less when actually throwing.

Word. It can totally get weird, especially when I have basically zero understanding of proper physics of rotational stuff. Im just going on intuition and likely not using the right terms. I get that the thing I am pointing out is likely not an actual axis as far as the physics would say.

My intention with bringing awareness to the rear leg lining up with the spine is to allow the hip snap rotation to happen faster and with more pop because all the weight thats moving (torso hips rear leg) is meant to move together as one unit rather than all floppy. Thats what I get out of Spin Dr's thigh master move idea too.

I also understand the hip collapse is a problem now, thanks to Bry and Seabas. I do still see some value in my drill just as a sandbox to develop a feel for things like hyzer tilt, being ok with the rear foot staying east-ish (so that it can eventually move targetward in a full throw without spinning out), lining up your power to actually hit at 10:30ish, and kinda most importantly actually feeling the hip power that can come from just gravity and a non mushy front leg. But some cost benefit anaysis is needed if its putting people in a wonky front hip position that causes problems… lemme see how quick I can fix the collapse issue and go from there.

Are we voting just dont do one leg stand stills ever? Or just dont poke the front hip out in the process?

Didnt Jason have one leg drills? But he was a bit spinny out the front, eh? Ie no colapse…

But again, I dont disagree. Seabas I like your model more and more and see the flaws built into mine clearer the more we talk about it.

I would like to film some actual throws from it and see what you guys notice there.

I also really want to work on my throw (been to busy for months) and get the things I know how to fix fixed. Some of the things Brychanus noticed in my throw have been in the 'to fix' list for a while. Super annoying to know I can do better than what I was doing last time I filmed anything… thats on me though. I guess Ill reframe it as a positive: I know what I want to work on.

I'll say it again, it can get weird/confusing talking about or applying rigid body math concepts in the throw.

Real talk, big dawg. Similar phenomenon with the Chris Taylor talk about golf swing/standstill being fundamentally different than a disc golf x-move because of "force couples" created by two limbs contacting ground vs. one. Similar phenomenon with the horizontal vs. vertical force debates. Why do we have to draw the vectors like good little Newtonians? Ignorance can be wisely-wielded. Analogy can be more productive than jamming all the block shapes into a model revered as actual representation of the underlying Stuff. Here's Ahab:

"Hark ye yet again—the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event—in the living act, the undoubted deed—there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough. He tasks me; he heaps me; I see in him outrageous strength, with an inscrutable malice sinewing it. That inscrutable thing is chiefly what I hate." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick

Learn to love, or at least respect, the inscrutable thing, boys and girls.

I disagree with the dropping of the left hip as a power source that you demo at 7m40s.

Left/rear hip action seems to be primary eureka! of "The Method," too. Rotate your left/rear thigh and voila! there's a reaction in your right/frontside. The throw system is obviously contralateral but the details are less obvious than our talk. Here's a six-million-year-old counterpoint to left/rear hip drop or left/rear thigh internal rotation + drop being the holy weight shift activator: go step on a nail. Now, that's a weight-shift. But my left/rear hip neither dropped nor did my left/rear thigh internally rotate. What's the little lower layer here?

Also, that Randy C video is sick. Hadn't seen it yet.

I'd love to get you guys take on the safety and power output of this "move".

The biggest thing I notice when trying or seeing others try the whole "rear knee behind the front knee" method, is that it feels like you are cutting off a safety mechanism from the body. For me, the rear leg moving to a counterweight position happens naturally as more hyzer tilt is added, but never quite to the extent taught here. When I HAVE tried to force that movement, it immediately feels dangerous to my body. By forcing the rear leg way behind, the momentum seems to shift in a way where I am "locked" behind my brace. The front toe lift and pivot seems much less natural and later. Admittedly, that does sound nice for maximum efficiency, but in practice, it ends up feeling like there are 3 outcomes.

Least likely.
Form is good enough and knee is strong enough that efficiency goes up and more of the momentum goes into the throw. DWJ style front leg taking a blasting and even hyperextension.

Most likely.
The body just limits the force I'm producing with the front leg because it feels like it's going to shear my knee in half. It wont let me go full power because it knows I can't dissipate the energy from that position. I don't see a gain because my body won't let it happen.

Worst case.
My form ISNT good enough and my body isn't strong enough. I end up forcing the body to go full bore while locked behind the brace and I cause an injury.

My worry is the last case. I don't know how safe the move is for everyone, and have a hunch it might be safer for people with certain internal hip bias and mobility. I have seen quite a few people on video and locally start using this move and it immediately looks like their front foot is having alot of trouble naturally opening. It is made worse when you close the front foot even more to the target. It also seems way worse if the student isn't quite at the point where they can get to a straight leg at some point. Knee ends up bent with a ton of shearing force going sideways through the knee and the muscles protecting the knee aren't engaged.

I'm not totally sure how right this is, it's just what I personally have noticed trying it and seeing others try it. Some of the videos I have seen make me cringe at the front foot pivoting crazy late as the front hip has already bounced off maximum ROM of internal rotation. For me at least, my body screams at me when I try this technique and I've had to wear a knee sleeve because of pain when I went down this road early in my learning to throw journey.

As for the hip drop portion, I have never felt any real power "from gravity" by just dropping my rear hip down. Seems like it would be a crazy low amount in comparison to everything else we are bringing in and adding.

I'd love to get you guys take on the safety and power output of this "move".

The biggest thing I notice when trying or seeing others try the whole "rear knee behind the front knee" method, is that it feels like you are cutting off a safety mechanism from the body. For me, the rear leg moving to a counterweight position happens naturally as more hyzer tilt is added, but never quite to the extent taught here. When I HAVE tried to force that movement, it immediately feels dangerous to my body. By forcing the rear leg way behind, the momentum seems to shift in a way where I am "locked" behind my brace. The front toe lift and pivot seems much less natural and later. Admittedly, that does sound nice for maximum efficiency, but in practice, it ends up feeling like there are 3 outcomes.

Least likely.
Form is good enough and knee is strong enough that efficiency goes up and more of the momentum goes into the throw. DWJ style front leg taking a blasting and even hyperextension.

Most likely.
The body just limits the force I'm producing with the front leg because it feels like it's going to shear my knee in half. It wont let me go full power because it knows I can't dissipate the energy from that position. I don't see a gain because my body won't let it happen.

Worst case.
My form ISNT good enough and my body isn't strong enough. I end up forcing the body to go full bore while locked behind the brace and I cause an injury.

My worry is the last case. I don't know how safe the move is for everyone, and have a hunch it might be safer for people with certain internal hip bias and mobility. I have seen quite a few people on video and locally start using this move and it immediately looks like their front foot is having alot of trouble naturally opening. It is made worse when you close the front foot even more to the target. It also seems way worse if the student isn't quite at the point where they can get to a straight leg at some point. Knee ends up bent with a ton of shearing force going sideways through the knee and the muscles protecting the knee aren't engaged.

I'm not totally sure how right this is, it's just what I personally have noticed trying it and seeing others try it. Some of the videos I have seen make me cringe at the front foot pivoting crazy late as the front hip has already bounced off maximum ROM of internal rotation. For me at least, my body screams at me when I try this technique and I've had to wear a knee sleeve because of pain when I went down this road early in my learning to throw journey.

As for the hip drop portion, I have never felt any real power "from gravity" by just dropping my rear hip down. Seems like it would be a crazy low amount in comparison to everything else we are bringing in and adding.
Hey @Clint Easterly, glad you're hear and would be interested in your thoughts here too:

Since I mostly think (and learn) in terms of posture and balance (sorry the first one is a bit long, but I wanted to be thorough):

1. "The biggest thing I notice when trying or seeing others try the whole "rear knee behind the front knee" method, is that it feels like you are cutting off a safety mechanism from the body. For me, the rear leg moving to a counterweight position happens naturally as more hyzer tilt is added, but never quite to the extent taught here. When I HAVE tried to force that movement, it immediately feels dangerous to my body. By forcing the rear leg way behind, the momentum seems to shift in a way where I am "locked" behind my brace. The front toe lift and pivot seems much less natural and later. Admittedly, that does sound nice for maximum efficiency, but in practice, it ends up feeling like there are 3 outcomes."

IMHO most people see an "X-step" and unfortunately think and look only at the X part, but not all the rest of what's happening around the move. That's why increasingly I just think of it as the "transition move" - it's the transition from whatever number of steps you took before, to the critical phase of building up torque in the backswing while you let momentum keep flowing forward into the plant.

Weissman is getting the posture and balance points confused as described earlier in the thread, and this is a common error when people do not have the preferred balance and posture in transition.

Even in people throwing very far and not quite tour level, they always tend to have some bits that could improve the transition move. Because everything that happens after this part of the move depends on its quality, time spent there is rarely wasted (FWIW, my 2 cents, YMMV, etc.).

When Sidewinder uses hammer and pump drills, what he's really doing is trying to teach the body to move in reciprocating, balanced ways. For example in his "hammer x-step," he teaches basically that the full pump is basically helping the whole body move forward, and also help the rear leg swing in crossing behind. It's never really about the knee or knees - that's an effect, not the goal. Notice also that his entire body is tilted with the move, and that is actually part of where the real "X" of the "X-step" occurs: it's actually two whips crossing the body from one foot to the opposite hand. Same idea as his Double Dragon drill. Other people teach it differently of course. I wouldn't generalize from myself, but misunderstanding what causes the cross behind is part of what damaged both of my knees. Learning to get more natural motion patterns to work together has helped immensely.

That more fundamental idea is also why I think you can see "shuffle hops" and "x-steps/hops" on tour, and both are functional. They're doing the "same" thing as one another - a full X probably creates more internal torque and subtle or large centrifugal effects, and a side shuffle hop probably produces more lateral momentum. I'm not sure how much is strictly form alone - probably also some body differences player to player for however they comfortably transition athletically, perhaps. I've had my thoughts about whether one is "safer" than the other, but I guess the presence of both suggests they can be used at a high level repeatably.

Paul Mcbeth still has the most versatile weight shifts I think we've ever seen. He changes between shuffle hops and more X, more or less height and width, more or less whole body tilted balance, more or less pump size and momentum, different leverage points, etc. from shot to shot and over time. I'm still working on my own rear side transition move and I find messing around with the whole body tilt/hip depth and pump size and hip hinge all useful when learning to move since they're all connected in transition. In general I think more athletic/flexible players with stronger and mobile legs can pull off the deeper hinges like Paul - I am using a bit more right now when slowing down to learn to move through the X/hop transition and for placement shots, and for power shots tend to get less hinged/taller again like Feldberg due to my body type/limits. I change the size of the pump but always use it to an extent to emphasize what my body learned about the natural flow of motion through the whole body like Hammer X step, and visualizing McBeth always helps me the most with the pump versatility.

2. Least, most, worst...
Yes, I think that is about where I'd put it.

3. Injury potential:
I was/am slightly still a risk of shear force student. Big body, poor coordination, and weak legs for my size unfortunately taught me first hand a lot of what can go wrong, and fortunately Sidewinder has thought deeply about all of this stuff for more than a decade and moved me into a much better space of movement. That's why I now also conceptualize & try to share concepts that turn the move into the most natural, athletic, low effort motion a given body can do while also achieving power (which adapts over years, with experience and fitness, etc. of course).

4. As for the hip drop portion, I have never felt any real power "from gravity" by just dropping my rear hip down. Seems like it would be a crazy low amount in comparison to everything else we are bringing in and adding.
I've tried and seen others do both and in general this seems true. Rather than say all the details I find interesting, I just want to say getting off the rear leg much more like Hershyzer/pitcher's stride is always much more powerful while also emphasizing the balance and posture going into the move. Since I have a lot of body mass and enough issues with my rear leg already the difference is very noticeable to me.

The gravity effect "should" work much more like the Hershyzer drill, and that drill should also be carrying forward any of the momentum from the X-step or shuffle hop etc. that preceded it. There are probably dozens or hundres of unique ways that people block their ideal action. I'm still learning about them and seeing new little "subspecies," even in (maybe especially in) very athletic and far throwers now, and including in those who are teaching, too. Many of them could (and do learn to) gain distance by improving the transition move to each the "better" way to use gravity (quotations only out of a healthy sense of open mindedness, but I think the pro-level move is typically fundamentally the same across players more than it is different.

IMHO the "back leg/front leg" throwing "debate" (mostly just echo chambers) is silly and a complete non-issue when you understand the rest of the ideal balance and posture context of the move).

Last edited:
@Clint Easterly thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Im also glad you're here. Ill echo Brychanus and say that I am entirely interested in mechanics and nothing here is personal. As we have talked about I have chosen that being kind and respectful and maintaining our friendship is of infinitely more importance to me than being right. Should I stray off the path I want, please let me know and I will fix it. You are one of the funnest dudes to play a round with and keeping that is of more value to me than being right in the internet. That said…

Edit: If you are talking about the method stuff I agree more than disagree. Follow through and the front leg being allowed to open is a key safety feature

As far as my stuff goes:.

Please if you have any video or concerns about people doing sketchy things to their knee because of my content, send people to me or somehow let me help them understand how to prevent injury. No one wants that!

I think your concerns here are valid. I have done my best to help people understand there should be no knee torque in my drill. As you should finish balanced and still. I would hope that would be the same with what Weissman is teaching, Im not sure what he is teaching though…

Your video attempting my drill seemed to miss that point as you blew past your standing position.

I personally think this is a function of your exceptional shoulder rotation and capacity for power generation. I never had any intention for anyone to do my drill at the power level you demoed it at.

If you wanted to work on my drill again I would make you drop the power level to where you can stop the spinout and not get any sketch signals from your knee. Which would require setting aside you current power generation in a spine twist.

On e the balance and lack of spin out is there we would add weightshift and adjist the vector of shift to where it reliably caused the front leg to open safely, while also maximizing containment. But safety first and never with a goal of complete containment or 'preventing' front leg rotation.

That seems very different than what Jason described after working with Weismann. I havent had a chance to talk to him about that yet…

More thoghts… no time…

Last edited:
Most of the folks I work with arent capable of generating half the power you do in that drill, Blitz. Thus I think the cause for concern is lower in their case…

Last edited:

Latest posts