• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] The most underrated max distance drivers

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
I've decided to compile a brief list of the drivers I feel are super long, but underrated. The discs no one really seems to throw or talk about much.

L64 Knight: I've thrown this disc in Opto and gold plastic. It flat out smashes. Very similar to Innova's Katana. If you're looking for a speed 14 bomber, try the Knight. I've been impressed with this mold. Very wide rim. 14, 4, -2, 2.

Innova Daedalus: One of Innova's seemingly endless high speed drivers, this one often gets overlooked in the lineup. The Daedalus is a fast, glidey disc that will fly about as far as anything on the market. This disc is best in champion plastic. 13, 6, -3, 2. I feel like it flies a hair more stable than the numbers indicate. Comparable to a Shryke.

L64 Raketen: Total sleeper disc here. No one seems to throw them. IMO, the Raketen and the Knight are the 2 longest drivers L64 makes. The Raketen flies a lot like a Shryke. It has some high speed turn, but isn't super flippy. Same construction as the Missilen with the weird texture, but the Raketen glides a lot better. 13, 5, -2, 2. I'm really surprised the Raketen was never more popular. I don't even think it's in production anymore.

Gateway Samurai: Bit of an obscure/unknown mold here. I don't see them often. Very legit flier. Again, somewhat similar to a Shryke in flight. The Samurai will turn nicely on hard rips and glide well for big distance. Can be finicky in the wind. The Samurai will go surprisingly far with seemingly little effort. Worth a look if you like Gateway or just want to try something new. 12, 5, -2, 2. Not quite as fast as the Shryke. Smaller rim.

DD Captain: Another somewhat overlooked distance bomber. Fairly flippy and somewhat erratic. The Captain definitely isn't for everyone, and it has a niche. That niche is hyzerflip max distance. Good glide. Much more manageable than the Freedom (which I think is a POS). 13, 5, -3, 2.

Discmania Enigma: Not quite a max distance driver, but it's definitely underrated. The Enigma seems like a somewhat mellower star Destroyer. Good glide and a little high speed turn. The Enigma is surprisingly long for a speed 12 driver, and can handle big rips without getting flippy. I'm surprised this disc isn't more popular. It fits perfectly into that "beat Destroyer" slot. 12, 5, -1.5, 2.

Innova Beast (either X or L really). X will come back and L will turnover on a smooth walk to the right on RHBH. First disc I ever broke the 500' mark with. And probably the only disc I ever will.

Innova Beast (either X or L really). X will come back and L will turnover on a smooth walk to the right on RHBH. First disc I ever broke the 500' mark with. And probably the only disc I ever will.

Beast is a good driver, but I can't call it underrated. It's one of Innova's most popular discs.

The best driver no one talks about are the Kahu and it's variations from RPM.

The regular Kahu is like a mellow Giant with great glide and a reliable fade, but the XG version is just enough less stable to make it the longest disc I have thrown backhand. Have gotten near 500 with it several times.

Underrated in sales I would say the Flow compared to the Wraith, Wraith probably sells 50 for every 1 Flow. Similar flight, feel, speed, maybe even a hair more glide and distance (depending on variance). Excellent disc no one buys or throws anymore.

Also in that same category I would say the DD from Discmania. Another Wraith competitor that never sells. Usually a tick more stable then a Wraith but can hold it's own and compliment it well.

Then maybe for Millennium I would say the JLS. Sure it has it's followers on here but it's fairly niche compared to a Leopard in sales I bet.

You know what else is great is the Lu or Luan from Yikun. It's like a flat top Boss and if you have the arm the bomb.

discmania dd is solid and a great second place finish to the wraith

a decent amount of people around my area throw the daedalus and i have several i found at the course this year

Champion Shryke for sure. Don't really see any pros using them out there, but they bomb and have more stability than you'd think.
Thrasher as well, but definitely on the flippy side of things....
Not sure how many people are throwing Ballistas (probably more popular with Disc Golf Valley being so popular), but Opto Ballistas absolutely smash.

On the slower side... DD Witness bombs. Sneaky distance for a fairway.

The best driver no one talks about are the Kahu and it's variations from RPM.

The regular Kahu is like a mellow Giant with great glide and a reliable fade, but the XG version is just enough less stable to make it the longest disc I have thrown backhand. Have gotten near 500 with it several times.

I've thrown 1 Kahu. It reminded me of a Boss. Wide rim, not a ton of dome, and beefy. Nice plastic. I liked it, but I didn't love it. Glide seemed average at best.

Underrated in sales I would say the Flow compared to the Wraith, Wraith probably sells 50 for every 1 Flow. Similar flight, feel, speed, maybe even a hair more glide and distance (depending on variance). Excellent disc no one buys or throws anymore.

Also in that same category I would say the DD from Discmania. Another Wraith competitor that never sells. Usually a tick more stable then a Wraith but can hold it's own and compliment it well.

Then maybe for Millennium I would say the JLS. Sure it has it's followers on here but it's fairly niche compared to a Leopard in sales I bet.

Yeah, I liked the Flow too. The one I threw seemed a hair mellower than a Wraith. Not as much late fade. I'll agree its an underrated mold.

I'm not sure I've ever thrown a DD.

Champion Shryke for sure. Don't really see any pros using them out there, but they bomb and have more stability than you'd think.
Thrasher as well, but definitely on the flippy side of things....
Not sure how many people are throwing Ballistas (probably more popular with Disc Golf Valley being so popular), but Opto Ballistas absolutely smash.

On the slower side... DD Witness bombs. Sneaky distance for a fairway.

Champion Shrykes seem to be fairly popular. I can't quite call that disc underrated. I agree they bomb though.

Ballistas are pretty popular, though I think the Ballista Pro is more so. Both of them are great distance drivers.

I didn't list the Thrasher as underrated because I really don't like that mold much. Really erratic/flippy. It isn't quite long enough to be useful for as flippy as it is. For me the Thrasher was like an extremely beat in Surge.

I'm going to add the Archon to the list too. Star or champion plastic, that dies flies well. Nice dome and glide. For me the Archon is like a somewhat flippier Wraith. No one throws them. I'm kind of surprised the Archon was never more popular.

I recently found a Millennium Astra - boy oh boy, that disc bombs.

Didn't even know the disc name. Pretty underrated.

I'm going to add the Archon to the list too. Star or champion plastic, that dies flies well. Nice dome and glide. For me the Archon is like a somewhat flippier Wraith. No one throws them. I'm kind of surprised the Archon was never more popular.

I have and had an Astra and Archon. Pretty similar discs. The biggest key for either I think is some decent dome otherwise it's really squirrelly/Flippy and low glide. Nice disc with the right dome and PLH.

Latest posts